"Showdown on the Rez": #23 Arizona State vs. #4 Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Showdown on the Rez": #23 Arizona State vs. #4 Baylor

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That was a really special game to watch. Kudos to Arizona State for organizing this, to Baylor for agreeing to participate, and to ESPN for giving this spectacle the coverage it deserves.

Having lived in Arizona for quite a few years, I have seen firsthand the intense passion that the "rez" community has for sports. It was a real treat to watch this game. Looking forward to hearing @j66kicker 's eyewitness report...

Reaction Score
do you think Geno would take her?
Do you mean would he take (1) Brown, (2) Cox, or (3) play Baylor OOC... answers to each,
(1) Yes
(2) Yes
(3) Yes..

for (1) and (2) I believe they would be much better coached so as to not play the way they were playing tonight.

Reaction Score
Naylssa Smith.... Wow. She has outperformed Lauren Cox almost every game. (I'll give Lauren the first game for dishing out six assists) I bet that Mulkey will keep Cox starting because of her defense (much of which doesn't show up on the status of sheet), and because Smith will definitely start in Brown's place next year. Smith is very impressive and active.

I was very high on Cox and it has only been 3 games into the season. Mulkey said in PreSeason that Cox is highly competitive and will bring it against anyone. I root for her, so I hope she start bringing it more, and stop letting an underclassmen show you up. Maybe Smith is better, doubtful, but I hope Mulkey lights a fire in Cox. She's too good to play like that. I hope her and Smith continue to push each other, but right now Smith is showing up (as she should).

Reaction Score
Um, Baylor has Stanford, South Carolina, and UConn on this year's schedule. So ... yes?
I meant in future seasons.... and it was really rethorical... knowing all the grief Baylor received and seeding for NCAA Tourney based on strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
Well, it's very early in the year, but in response to all the Oregon critics, I don't think Baylor is a top 5 team. Lol. Smh. They played a slow, greatly less talented top 25 team and this is what turned out. I'm interested in seeing what MSST and Lou have to offer against other ranked teams. Go Huskies!

nothing unusual about that Baylor win..........................it seems that Mulkey just can't figure out how to best use all that talent.........................if the inside game isn't working they just don't have that much firepower from the outside to run away from better teams.......................that said they are still big enough and talented enough to plod their way to a 30+ victory season

Reaction Score
Clearly, the PG needs some work for Baylor. It really got cleaned up in the second half. I can only imagine what Kim said in the locker room, but it worked. No more lazy passes and passivity on offense. The bigs never got in the flow during the first half because the guards simply couldn't get the ball to them. I'm sure this is a key focus, but it is a major flaw that could be taken advantage of if it isn't fixed. Alexis Morris is a big loss.

Nalyssa Smith was seriously impressive. Brought that aggressiveness that was lacking from the other posts. Having her to help out if Brown or Cox is having a bad day is a nice change.

Better to have a game like this now instead of in March like we usually do. I'll take the win with a long list of things to fix before the next big matchup.

Reaction Score
Naylssa Smith.... Wow. She has outperformed Lauren Cox almost every game. (I'll give Lauren the first game for dishing out six assists) I bet that Mulkey will keep Cox starting because of her defense (much of which doesn't show up on the status of sheet), and because Smith will definitely start in Brown's place next year. Smith is very impressive and active.

I was very high on Cox and it has only been 3 games into the season. Mulkey said in PreSeason that Cox is highly competitive and will bring it against anyone. I root for her, so I hope she start bringing it more, and stop letting an underclassmen show you up. Maybe Smith is better, doubtful, but I hope Mulkey lights a fire in Cox. She's too good to play like that. I hope her and Smith continue to push each other, but right now Smith is showing up (as she should).

Cox is a nice player but I always felt she was a bit overrated................having Brown there has clearly cramped her style but if she played like this at UConn, I bet you would be hearing some complaints.............

Reaction Score
Well, I fully expected to see a closer game than most today. An undersized ASU still gave Baylor a game. In the end, Baylor played better defense in the 2nd half (also better offense). They didn't allow any uncontested 3-point shots. It seemed as if ASU got tired, and settled for quick 3-pointers which only played into Baylor's strengths (limiting teams to a single shot). I've now watched Oregon, Stanford, ASU, and Oregon State play this year. I don't think any one team is dominant enough to go undefeated in PAC-12 play. I think Stanford is the best of the PAC-12 at this moment.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Isn't the male announcer normally covering UConn? The lesser opponents they play? Ekmark 5 pts

Yes. Eric Frede. Eric Frede and Megan Cuomo cover UConn on SNY. Eric Frede also work for ESPN.

Reaction Score
Do you mean would he take (1) Brown, (2) Cox, or (3) play Baylor OOC... answers to each,
(1) Yes
(2) Yes
(3) Yes..

for (1) and (2) I believe they would be much better coached so as to not play the way they were playing tonight.

I agree, he'd love to have either of them......................I haven't seen the stats from the Ohio State game but it sure felt like UConn got out rebounded.................if that happened against a group of fifth year transfers who barely know each other's names, what do you think is going to happen when Baylor pounds the ball inside? UConn is going to have to sprint the entire game and hope like hell that Baylor gets tired and or into foul trouble.............God forbid Collier gets in foul trouble, I'm not sure who else can consistently rebound against such size..........

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Totally agree with you lotrader, would be shocked to see any Pac 12 team run the table. In addition to the 4 you mention Cal and USC are probably capable of beating anybody else in the conference on any given day.

Reaction Score
Clearly, the PG needs some work for Baylor. It really got cleaned up in the second half. I can only imagine what Kim said in the locker room, but it worked. No more lazy passes and passivity on offense. The bigs never got in the flow during the first half because the guards simply couldn't get the ball to them. I'm sure this is a key focus, but it is a major flaw that could be taken advantage of if it isn't fixed. Alexis Morris is a big loss.

Nalyssa Smith was seriously impressive. Brought that aggressiveness that was lacking from the other posts. Having her to help out if Brown or Cox is having a bad day is a nice change.

Better to have a game like this now instead of in March like we usually do. I'll take the win with a long list of things to fix before the next big matchup.
I know Baylor has some very athletic (and big) kids. However, I don't see the skill at the guard/wing that I see on other teams. Not that there are a lot of those teams (Notre Dame, Oregon, UConn), but I look forward to seeing how Baylor does vs a team whose guard play is superior. Baylor's size is definitely a major advantage that should carry them a very long way.

Reaction Score
nothing unusual about that Baylor win......it seems that Mulkey just can't figure out how to best use all that talent.....if the inside game isn't working they just don't have that much firepower from the outside to run away from better teams........that said they are still big enough and talented enough to plod their way to a 30+ victory season
I don't disagree with that assessment at all, Baylor has looked the same since Griner. Of course, my point is in reference to Oregon. There's a reason they are ranked #3 and just as it is early for everyone else, it's early for them too. I'd like to see and Oregon vs Baylor matchup, of course, their game against MSST should provide some insight. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Rough game to watch from the fan stand point at first. A lot of positive things from 2nd half. I mean I always expect Baylor to come out hard, which they did not. However, nice to see them learn to fight on the 3rd game this season.

It's early and I think this game was reality check that they still have a long way to go. Morris was a big loss.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with that assessment at all, Baylor has looked the same since Griner. Of course, my point is in reference to Oregon. There's a reason they are ranked #3 and just as it is early for everyone else, it's early for them too. I'd like to see and Oregon vs Baylor matchup, of course, their game against MSST should provide some insight. Go Huskies!

it's a little easier to judge Baylor..............they are what they are............the loss of Wallace and Morris is telling but Smith only adds to what should be a huge existing front court advantage..................UConn has to integrate two new starters and figure out how to use their bench..............that will take time............Oregon also needs to figure some things out but the talent is there and Graves has proven he knows how to get the most out of his players........

Reaction Score
So who exactly made all those half-time adjustments that led to the win?

didn't take a whole lot of thought to bring the defense out five feet and put Nalyssa Smith in the game........................as I said at the end of the first half, Baylor will dominate once Arizona cooled off..................I'm sure you thought the same thing

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man we UConn fans should take stock here. Baylor had to fight tooth and nail to beat Arizona State by 6 and we complain about a 32 point victory where Team 2 played significant minutes. Yeah ASU is a better team than OSU and State was at home. Still man, does anyone here think this UConn team goes into ASU and struggles to pull one out? Baylor's depth ultimately wore them down to the point where ASU's 3's were either short or over long or over quick. The sign of tired legs. Baylor's lack of athleticism, as it did last year, showed now and just may again show Dancing time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cox had an off game, but I think she’s still an above average/great player. Her defense is underrated. She’s an excellent passer and highly competitive. If she could develop a better stand still shot, she’d be a more complete player. Even though she’s fairly slow, she can still defend and sometimes create her own shot.

Reaction Score
Man we UConn fans should take stock here. Baylor had to fight tooth and nail to beat Arizona State by 6 and we complain about a 32 point victory where Team 2 played significant minutes. Yeah ASU is a better team than OSU and State was at home. Still man, does anyone here think this UConn team goes into ASU and struggles to pull one out? Baylor's depth ultimately wore them down to the point where ASU's 3's were either short or over long or over quick. The sign of tired legs. Baylor's lack of athleticism, as it did last year, showed now and just may again come Dancing time.
Yeah I was there and it was truly weird. ASU, as usual, just looks and plays like a typical middle-of-the-pack PAC-12 sorta of “intramural” looking team. Baylor was MUCH larger, and even their non-aircraft carrier/battleship type players looked much stronger and more athletic than any of the ASU players. Yet ASU kicked their butts the whole first half. Go figure.

NyLyssa Smith was very impressive in the 2nd half. She’s a beast. Legs like FloJo. Unlike Cox & Brown she is extremely athletic. She will be an elite player. Baylor must have a serious weight program - those girls are ripped. Cox has really bulked up - she’s easily 2 of ONO. And Brown is 2 of Cox. But the whole Baylor team looked very strong.

Very cool event. Very nice high school gym - every one of the 6500 seats had a seat back & arm rests, plenty of legroom, etc - much more comfortable than Gampel. Packed house, at least 95% Native Americans. Lots of ceremonies & Navajo performances at every timeout. They were very appreciative of the 2 schools and ESPN for pulling this off on their turf. And they are crazed basketball fans. Baylor had maybe 40 fans there from Waco (pretty conspicuous) but, although most of the locals cheered (wildly) for ASU, there were probably 500 or so cheering for Baylor.

Kim was in full metal jacket (and pants). Before the game they presented Charli & Kim with fancy Navajo coats, which they tried on and modeled for the crowd (pics to follow later). I agree with others who would have preferred an anthem singer with the range to hit all the notes, but the little girl was cute. Lots of people in dress-up costumes - this was a big deal. Miss Fort Defiance (obviously a beauty queen) sat right in front of me, in full costume, with a crown that looked like it must have weighed 10 lbs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The audio in the telecast before the first break was unlistenable on my DVR recording. Did anyone else experience this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom