Shout-out to Saniya Chong | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shout-out to Saniya Chong

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No one is blaming him. I don't see him inviting the cameras to cover him.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I was at the game cheering for Saniya. She has been my favorite player - I've rooted for her all four years. So glad I didn't see it first on tv - it really pisses me off to read here that the announcers didn't honor her exit.
She is a model for any Uconn player who does not get much playing time in their first two to three years on the team. She/Her and Gabby have proven that with patience, perseverance and hard work, a player can become invaluable and efficient, and as a result, earn the opportunity to play during prime time.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one tired of the interviews and camera shots of Jon Samuelson? I know it is a unique situation but it does not need overkill. They focus on him even when play is going on. Too many live ball, split screen interviews and not just involving Jon Samuelson. Just saying.
I think the same thing, nice story but ad nauseum. How about the other parents, Saynia's mom was right behind him?

Reaction Score
I think it really is time we drop the "core four" thing, as I hoped we would a couple of months ago. We have 5 starters and would not be where we are now without any one of them.
Couldn't agree more!
I thought it was dead however ESPN resurrected the core four for the tournament.

Reaction Score
Chong has been that senior that doesn't want to go home yet and needs just a few more memories to tide her over for the rest of her life.
Glad we have a senior named Chong
Though she won't be with us long
She was essential to the streak
Sad she has less than a week
And that she'll be going,going gong

Reaction Score
Saniya also got what I think was the loudest standing ovation when she went out of the game for the last time.
Yes she did. Geno did it right, took her out of her last game in CT to a large standing ovation. TOO BAD THOSE SLUGS AT ESPN DIDN'T ACKNOWLEDGE IT. Too busy with the camera and the commentators spending that time of several of the losers.
Doris in particular has a H@%# O% for Saniya.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one tired of the interviews and camera shots of Jon Samuelson? I know it is a unique situation but it does not need overkill. They focus on him even when play is going on. Too many live ball, split screen interviews and not just involving Jon Samuelson. Just saying.
The poor man is obviously uncomfortable with all the attention. If ESPN was stand up, which they are not, they would be paying for his air fare. They keep exploiting the guy as an ongoing human interest story instead of doing the game.
You want to keep annoying the guy constantly at least pay him. Also, how annoying is this for other fans who pain good money to watch a game live, not have their experience ruined by the ever present crew from ESPN.

Reaction Score
The poor man is obviously uncomfortable with all the attention. If ESPN was stand up, which they are not, they would be paying for his air fare. They keep exploiting the guy as an ongoing human interest story instead of doing the game.
You want to keep annoying the guy constantly at least pay him. Also, how annoying is this for other fans who pain good money to watch a game live, not have their experience ruined by the ever present crew from ESPN.

Aside from chemotherapy, you really should also learn about IMPERMISSIBLE BENEFITS :
• Parents may not be given benefits, gifts, or discounts by institutions, other parents, or other representatives of Athletics Interest (RAI). Parents may not receive discounted or free items or service based on their son or daughter’s status as a student-athlete (i.e. special hotel rate, free meal, etc.)

Reaction Score
Aside from chemotherapy, you really should also learn about IMPERMISSIBLE BENEFITS :
Your photo seems to correctly represent your attitude. First, concerning Mr Samuelson: you obviously quoted from the NCAA rule book. But ESPN is an independent company and should be able to do whatever it wants. I could be wrong, if I am you will surely tell me.
As for the effects and side effects of chemotherapy, I have forgotten more than you will ever know. What I did not know is that Ms Rowe is battling cancer so in that regard my comments would seem hurtful at best.
I wish her all the luck in the world and will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Saniya is playing her best basketball. I think she is auditioning for the draft as a by-product of trying to help her team win another championship.

Saniya and Tierney just became the top class in the history of college basketball: 152-1. They passed the great Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan tonight.

First, I think this is an amazing accomplishment; I don't care if they played with Stewie and Moriah and Tuck for three years. They have earned this.

I think someone posted a link to an article recently about college coaches recruiting winners. It surprises me how many early draft choices for the W are from not-that-great teams.

I've thought all along that Saniya would be selected, probably in the second or third round. Now I'm thinking first round, but maybe I'm attaching too much importance to her winning so many games and championships? Any thoughts?

And, Rixxx, that was an all-time highlight for me (and any die-hard UConn fan).

Reaction Score
Saniya and Tierney as the only seniors have taken on a new job description. They have become team leaders! Look at who gives the pregame pep talk in the player huddle, and who is totally engaged in game action commenting from the bench, Tierney, and Saniya is always pointing something out to a team mate at stoppages for foul shots and out-of-bounds.
Both of them show the true strength of the UCONN WBB program, you don't have to be a superstar to be a valuable team leader!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was hopeful that Saniya would add some scoring punch this year. As Geno noted, she was a big-time scorer in high school. I'm not surprised by that.

The things that do surprise me are (1) her defense, which is usually quite good; (2) her ball-handling, which I previously thought was average at best for a PG; and (3) her A/TO ratio, especially her low number of TOs.

Saniya has exceeded my expectations and fits in this lineup. Though she is the only starter not averaging in double-digits, she is not a weak link on the team. She makes major contributions on a regular basis.

I'm very happy for Saniya. She got a HUGE ovation last night and really is improving her pro prospects.

Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread, but wanted to throw in my hat here:

Saniya was great against Oregon and has been playing at the top of her game--the best of her career. She was very energetic on defense, read the passing lanes well (hence, her steal and score at 3:15 mark of the first quarter). Her basketball intelligence is terrific. She is regularly sneaking looks around her and behind her, reading the retreat on an opposing rebound, and looking to the open man and the developing play on the fast break. She made a nice feed to Lou under the rim (1st quarter, around 3:53) that would have been a sure low post score. (Lou couldn't quite handle the pass, had to re-grab the handle, then got stuffed but saved the play by bouncing the loose ball off an Oregon player ala DT as the ball headed out of bounds.) Saniya also may have been fouled on the 3-point shot that was blocked and snatched out of the air by Gabby for a two-step drive and score (1st quarter, 3:27).

More generally, Saniya came out hitting her shots right away, thus making her a scoring threat and relaxing the defense on other players. She knows when to slow the tempo. She looks to Geno if necessary when bringing the ball up court. And she is an excellent open floor dribbler, capable of deftly extricating herself from traps and double-teams.

No doubt about it, she rounds out what is almost certainly the best starting five in the game.

Reaction Score
I saw Leslie Chong in a UConn gear talking about UConn coaching staff and her daughter and I cannot help but rooting for Saniya. After 3 years of struggle, Saniya has blossomed into a very good and consistent PG in a great team. She is also the first in her family to graduate from college. What a great story about perseverance and hard work overcoming adversity.

Reaction Score
I saw Leslie Chong in a UConn gear talking about UConn coaching staff and her daughter and I cannot help but rooting for Saniya. After 3 years of struggle, Saniya has blossomed into a very good and consistent PG in a great team. She is also the first in her family to graduate from college. What a great story about perseverance and hard work overcoming adversity.

I really believe if it wasn't for IT BAND she would have had a very very similar year last year as she did this year. Can we get a medical redshirt for last year? That injury really messed her year up...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom