Shout-out to Saniya Chong | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shout-out to Saniya Chong

Reaction Score
Great all around game for Saniya tonight. She seemed determined to set the pace right from the tip !

Yes she was determined today. She also play great defense today and seemed faster. So happy for her a great Uconn player.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She did win the last badass award, and deservedly so. Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

I was cheesed off that the broadcasters talked through it when she was taken out for the last time in Connecticut, and they were showing the Oregon bench. Total lack of respect.
That totally pissed me off
hc-jacobs-column-chong-brother-0327-20170326

Reaction Score
AT the beginning of the season their were some who posted that Dangerfield would be the starter by the start of the conference schedule and Chong would be a reserve. It's obvious they were very wrong.
I was right there! She raised her level farrr higher than I thought possible. Very happy for her:)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For her last two games in Connecticut, Saniya has probably the two best games of her career. Couldn't be happier for her.

Saniya has shown to everyone what perserverance means. She has earned the respect of her teammates.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one tired of the interviews and camera shots of Jon Samuelson? I know it is a unique situation but it does not need overkill. They focus on him even when play is going on. Too many live ball, split screen interviews and not just involving Jon Samuelson. Just saying.[/QUOTE

Have to agree about belaboring this human-interest story, while our team was playing lights out. Two sisters in the final four, and the father who made them shoot 500 attempts is a good story, but other parents have made sacrifices as well. If they have to split screen, okay, but let's not beat it to death. The crowd explosion when Saniya came out was truly wonderful, validating her dedication, progress and value to the team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Am I the only one tired of the interviews and camera shots of Jon Samuelson? I know it is a unique situation but it does not need overkill. They focus on him even when play is going on. Too many live ball, split screen interviews and not just involving Jon Samuelson. Just saying.

Count me in that group. I hope South Carolina beats Stanford just so we can stop hearing about the Samuelson family, their dogs, and first world travel problems when there's, you know, a basketball game going on while ignoring our two seniors' last moments on a Connecticut court in front of their fans.

Just don't blame Mr Samuelson for it. Doesn't seem like he's too interested in hoopla surrounding him either.

When there's a 30+ point blowout, they're gonna talk about something. :confused:

Reaction Score
AT the beginning of the season their were some who posted that Dangerfield would be the starter by the start of the conference schedule and Chong would be a reserve. It's obvious they were very wrong.
I'll fess up and say that I was one of those who thought Crystal Dangerfield would be the starting point guard by the end of the season. Couldn't be any happier for Saniya that she has played so well, kept her job and has become such an important member of the team. Making the all regional team has to got to be so personally rewarding for a fine young lady who has worked incredibly hard the last 4 years.

Reaction Score
I am so proud of Saniya. She is displaying a consistent level of confidence and ability that I didn't think she was capable. I don't think it's Geno or CD magic. I think it is Saniya saying I am going to be the steady asset and not the weak link. Even her defense has improved. Saniya has always had the best defensive stance, but she would be 6 feet from the ball handler. Now, she is face guarding, rotating, boxing out and directing rotations.

As far as playing time, she is probably just a Junior. It is a shame that she's had injuries and confidence issues that blighted her previous seasons. I would love to see her play one more year and become an all American type player. I think Uconn will miss her next year. I know I will.

Reaction Score
I love her defense, she is so quick moving her feet and staying between basket and who she is defending. In my opinion, she does this better than anyone else on UConn. And talk about speed, is anyone faster than her with the ball in her hand?

There just is no one on the team that you can leave alone, all five are great shooters and all five can hit the open shots, so double-teaming any one player is futile the way UConn can pass the ball.

Reaction Score
I've said at nausium that she's the MVP of this team.

She's come a long way. Danger just was not ready this year. She will be missed

Your post summarizes my perspective. She does not get the credit that she deserves as the ultimate team player. The game last night was the perfect example. Defensively, Oregon tried to defend inside. Chong came out firing leaving Oregon in consternation. It opened up the middle leaving huge gaps and open shots for UConn. Defensively, Oregon could not get their rhythm. Who was in attack mode from minute 1? Who got the steal party started? Chong set the table for the others.

Even on a more macro level, who has sacrificed more for UConn? They say that UConn practices are tougher than games. It is because of players like Chong. She is the type of player that has allowed UConn to be great for so long. She could have left and been a star at almost any school but chose to stay. Anyway, great post!

Reaction Score
The foundation of the UCONN nation.....that's my image of Saniya! She supports everyone on the floor. She directs and positions others to make the plays. The plays which so often hold us in awe. Finally, the foundation Saniya represents is getting due recognition. Good for her and lucky us.....

Reaction Score
The foundation of the UCONN nation.....that's my image of Saniya! She supports everyone on the floor. She directs and positions others to make the plays. The plays which so often hold us in awe. Finally, the foundation Saniya represents is getting due recognition. Good for her and lucky us.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...when she was taken out for the last time in Connecticut, and they were showing the Oregon bench.

You mean that wasn't respectful applause for Sabrina Ionescu we heard?

Reaction Score
I was at the game cheering for Saniya. She has been my favorite player - I've rooted for her all four years. So glad I didn't see it first on tv - it really pisses me off to read here that the announcers didn't honor her exit.
They were too busy praising a freshman from Oregon!
Three's a crowd in the booth to much talking! Add Mr. Samuelson's travel heroics and there wasn't much time to acknowledge a senior.

Reaction Score
For the Oregon game, I agree with you. Those two early threes emptied whatever wind they had left in their sails. You mean we have to guard her, too?

Exactly right.

I feel like she gets overshadowed and it's totally understandable.

Lou- most hyped/ talked about player? Best shooter for sure.

Gabby- makes the most amazing athletic plays, now hits the foul line jumper, she's amazing

Phees- she only makes every shot come on!!!!!

But Kia and Chong so underrated. The defense and effort those girls put forth last night was amazing. Watching close up and live really tells the story

And yes when Chong is hitting shots and Kia hitting shots it's just too much to handle.
SC gets overlooked at times but not by me.

Reaction Score
Your post summarizes my perspective. She does not get the credit that she deserves as the ultimate team player. The game last night was the perfect example. Defensively, Oregon tried to defend inside. Chong came out firing leaving Oregon in consternation. It opened up the middle leaving huge gaps and open shots for UConn. Defensively, Oregon could not get their rhythm. Who was in attack mode from minute 1? Who got the steal party started? Chong set the table for the others.

Even on a more macro level, who has sacrificed more for UConn? They say that UConn practices are tougher than games. It is because of players like Chong. She is the type of player that has allowed UConn to be great for so long. She could have left and been a star at almost any school but chose to stay. Anyway, great post!

Well said! It was an amazing night.
I was so thankful to be there. Wish I can go to TX

Reaction Score
Saniya is playing her best basketball. I think she is auditioning for the draft as a by-product of trying to help her team win another championship.

Saniya and Tierney just became the top class in the history of college basketball: 152-1. They passed the great Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan tonight.
There is more to this than people realize. Most would look at that record and say, yeah, well, she played with great players. Of course that matters. But champions make their teams as great as they can be. You don't need to play a ton to have a massive impact on your team. Attitude matters. What happens in practice matters. These two aren't winners. They are champions.

WHEN we win the national championship, watch what happens to Geno when he talks about Saniya. It will be unprecedented.

Reaction Score
I was at the game cheering for Saniya. She has been my favorite player - I've rooted for her all four years. So glad I didn't see it first on tv - it really pisses me off to read here that the announcers didn't honor her exit.
Doris Burke only likes to hear herself talk.

Reaction Score
I am so happy for Saniya. Her perseverence and hard work has paid off beyond expectations! The "Core Four" may get the press, but Saniya Chong has been the steady cog in an incredible season!
I think it really is time we drop the "core four" thing, as I hoped we would a couple of months ago. We have 5 starters and would not be where we are now without any one of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom