Shout Out to Nika | The Boneyard

Shout Out to Nika

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I'm sure it was mentioned in the post game thread but she deserves a thread of her own. Nika was more than solid last night. In 25 minutes she shot 3-5 including 2-4 from the arc. Also 3 rebs and 2 assists. Only 2 PFs and zero TOs. This is a nice improvement over previous games and I think she's showing steady progress. Honestly, I did not (and may not) re-watch the game to assess how she did on D but given the Hogs numbers on the perimeter, I doubt she did a lot worse than the other perimeter defenders.

After the tearful scenes on the sideline a few games back, I was afraid we might be (figuratively) losing her. BUT Nika showed her toughness and has bounced back well. I also love her spirit - Kudos Nika!!

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm sure it was mentioned in the post game thread but she deserves a thread of her own. Nika was more than solid last night. In 25 minutes she shot 3-5 including 2-4 from the arc. Also 3 rebs and 2 assists. Only 2 PFs and zero TOs. This is a nice improvement over previous games and I think she's showing steady progress. Honestly, I did not (and may not) re-watch the game to assess how she did on D but given the Hogs numbers on the perimeter, I doubt she did a lot worse than the other perimeter defenders.

After the tearful scenes on the sideline a few games back, I was afraid we might be (figuratively) losing her. BUT Nika show her toughness and has bounced back well. I also love her spirit - Kudos Nika!!
In my opinion she was the only one that had any containment on Dungee, she harassed her with stiff defense and if I remember correctly Dungee did not score any threes on her and might have gotten a duece.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a big Nika Muhl fan. She has improved her defense without fouling and is showing confidence and accuracy in her 3-point shooting. She has played only 7 games, due to injury, and is making nice progress. Keep it up, Nika!

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse had a game where she was frustrated and cried because she was something like 0-9 from the floor. Geno said he was disappointed that she was upset about her scoring rather than focusing on what else she could do for the team. I don’t know if Nika got the same words, but whatever Geno said after seems to have had the same effect—do everything else and the scoring will come. Nika will improve and this game was a small glimpse into her potential. All of these freshmen will improve and that’s what should be so scary for other teams.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
As painful as it was to watch that scolding she got a few games back, the heart to heart with Geno on the bench afterward seems to have done what he intended it to do. She sat out the Tennessee game because she was not ready. But if you saw her interview the other day you could tell she was steeling herself to get it together. Nice kid, hard worker, she played well at Arkansas and I hope she is on her way to steadier, more controlled, yet still intense play in the games to come. I really like her and want her to shine. Go Nika!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I would love to see nika pattern her play on E. I think she has a skill set to emulate that same controlled aggression in your face defense with great shooting. She can go down in Husky lore.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In my opinion she was the only one that had any containment on Dungee, she harassed her with stiff defense and if I remember correctly Dungee did not score any threes on her and might have gotten a duece.

Nika face-guarded Dungee in the late third or early fourth quarter for a few minutes, maybe 5 trips down the court. Dungee got just a couple of touches, and her only points were the result of a foul on Mir. Nika did what I was expecting Griffin to do. Kudos.

Yes, the dressing down Geno gave her a few games ago was tough to watch, but I didn't doubt that Geno had a plan and would execute it well. I also think she benefitted hugely from the 35 minutes against a lesser opponent. That may have been just the shot in the arm she needed.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse had a game where she was frustrated and cried because she was something like 0-9 from the floor. Geno said he was disappointed that she was upset about her scoring rather than focusing on what else she could do for the team. I don’t know if Nika got the same words, but whatever Geno said after seems to have had the same effect—do everything else and the scoring will come. Nika will improve and this game was a small glimpse into her potential. All of these freshmen will improve and that’s what should be so scary for other teams.

Diana and Sue also had their tearful moments. There may not be any crying in baseball, but basketball apparently does not share that prohibition.

Reaction Score
I was skeptical of Nika before last night's game. No more. Not that I think she is an a/a in the future -but she certainly looks like a quality player. And quality players supporting players like Paige and Evina and next year and beyond -- - just so damn giddy about this year's freshmen class.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
All these positives about Nika. I hope none of you who are making such positive comments don't come down on her when she has another game in which she does not play well because it is going to happen. All Nika needs is more playing time and she will get better. Like most players, freshmen or not, their will be up and down games.

Reaction Score
All these positives about Nika. I hope none of you who are making such positive comments don't come down on her when she has another game in which she does not play well because it is going to happen. All Nika needs is more playing time and she will get better. Like most players, freshmen or not, their will be up and down games.

There are up and down games with every player. Do you remember Breanna being benched her freshman season, who is now maybe the greatest player.

Reaction Score
As I said in a couple threads, one prior to any game play, I see Nika as a very passionate, team first, self aware person. I think she is showing that she understands (and has known from the day she committed) and acknowledges the areas she has to work on in her game to contribute to her teams success. If we look at her progress, what she did in the Arkansas game shows she has really worked hard to improve her game and help her team. That has clearly been a view shared by Geno, he didn't give her 25 minutes PT and notably stayed with her through the final whistle because she 'played like a freshmen'. He saw what she did on defense against Dungee, that she took the open shots, drove to the basketball a couple times - once scoring the other delivering a nice assist, had no turnovers and played with passion but not emotionally.

I love the kid and really root for her. I think she is and will become even more so a great teammate, loves being a Husky and will continue to work hard to reach her full potential. Geno is hardest on the kids that he knows have the potential to grow their games. He doesn't chastise a kid, for playing at a level beyond their potential. I think that tough sequence when Nika got dressed down in the timeout, followed by his conversation with her as tears fell and she just could not look at him for fear the waterfalls would flow, said a lot about what he sees in her and as much in how passionately she wants to be the best player she can be for the team. How he's used her since then and how she has responded have shown that both accepted what needed to happen in her game and recognize how she is responding. Would have loved to see some of our posters who were extremely harsh about Nika's potential in the X factor chain give the kid some kudos for the things she's done well the last couple games, but thus far radio silence. What we all think on the BY really doesn't matter though, how the coaches and her teammates see her, which I believe is really positively, is what should and I feel does matter to Nika!

Reaction Score
Would have loved to see some of our posters who were extremely harsh about Nika's potential in the X factor chain give the kid some kudos for the things she's done well the last couple games, but thus far radio silence. What we all think on the BY really doesn't matter though, how the coaches and her teammates see her, which I believe is really positively, is what should and I feel does matter to Nika!

I wouldn't say complete radio silence. I just did give her kudos, didn't I? :)

Though I don't feel I was ever harsh on her. Just skeptical.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As the BY’er who’s OP suggested that Nika might be the X-Factor for UConn, I still have bruises from the shots I took at that time from some who insisted that Nika’s 35 minutes against a lesser opponent meant little to nothing, going as far to suggest that Nika wouldn’t even see the court against Arkansas.

As I said then, Geno doesn’t just hand out PT, let alone starting assignments to players that haven’t earned it in practice, and his goal in the Georgetown game was clearly to get Nika ready to play significant minutes vs Arkansas.

I am delighted that Nika made plays against Arkansas while demonstrating a level of poise and control on the court that will only improve now that she has some confidence she belongs at this level.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m sure it was frustrating for her but she hung in there kept working. Now we are seeing the rewards. Refusing to give up is key. She is stubborn as a… well, uh, some animal that is stubborn, nothing comes to mind right now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sure it was frustrating for her but she hung in there kept working. Now we are seeing the rewards. Refusing to give up is key. She is stubborn as a… well, uh, some animal that is stubborn, nothing comes to mind right now.
The Croatian people, and Croatian women in particular, have a well earned reputation for being a passionate people, and even a little headstrong. It actually reminds me of a certain short Italian coach that I know of.

OMG, could this be the reincarnation of the Geno - Sveta relationship? Hopefully, Nika won’t announce, “I don’t come 3000 miles to set pick.” :eek:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say complete radio silence. I just did give her kudos, didn't I? :)

Though I don't feel I was ever harsh on her. Just skeptical.
I took a quick look back at the Is Nika the X-Factor? thread and didn't notice your post in that, in any case wasn't really referring to your posts, more a chain of harsh posts in that thread by mostly one poster. Yes, you did give her kudos.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom