Should Z be shooting 3s? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Z be shooting 3s?

Reaction Score
Depends on game and where we are in shot clock. While her ability to hit 3's, particularly in important games, is debatable, her layups are 99% unstoppable. Every time she went under basket last night she got and made a layup, several times getting fouled. There is a reason virtually every team lets her shoot 3's.

All this is well with the small post she has played against recently. What will she do on the 15th when that coach has the option of using 3 bigs close to AZ's size? You don't play AAC games for score, they are played as real game practices--AZ needs this practice and shooting drills. Layups she can do anytime but probably not at the 99 percent rate.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If I'm the opposition I am begging her to keep taking them. I would not stretch my defense out even a bit to prevent
that shot.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Take away her O-fer on her 3 point attempts and she was 9-10 from the floor.

Get real and get inside. Drift out only to draw a big with you so you can drop it inside to Pheesa or Gabby or.........

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
In her first year with the Sun, Jonquel Jones was a little too in love with shooting 3s, and shot a .333 percentage. In year two, JJ was more confident and into Miller's system. She focused on the dirtier work inside the paint and was a monster on the boards at both ends. She ended up shooting a few less 3s per 40 minutes but shot them at a .446 rate. I mind Z taking a few 3s if she's the good shooter that Geno thinks she is. If she gets confident out there and gets her D together it is not unreasonable to see her become a JJ-like player. If there is any pro player who Z should look to to emulate it it JJ... similar body type and basic skill set, JJ is just more mature, fluid and creative in her movements.

upload_2018-1-10_9-54-4.jpeg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All this is well with the small post she has played against recently. What will she do on the 15th when that coach has the option of using 3 bigs close to AZ's size? You don't play AAC games for score, they are played as real game practices--AZ needs this practice and shooting drills. Layups she can do anytime but probably not at the 99 percent rate.
Ok, so when she plays against Wilson, Holmes and/or McCowan, let her go beyond the arc but until then, let the more proficient shooters do that. She has been absolutely dominating inside so if it ain't broke, why fix it? The other point we must acknowledge is by taking rushed shots (not setting your feet or whatever is causing 15% shooting), you lose the opportunity with other shooters with better shots (basically anything > 15%). That's the issue I have. She has taken far too many of them and even if she is a 39% shooter from there, her dominance inside warrants more shots from inside-Kia and Lou are 40%+ from beyond, leave it to them.

Reaction Score
Take away her O-fer on her 3 point attempts and she was 9-10 from the floor.

Get real and get inside. Drift out only to draw a big with you so you can drop it inside to Pheesa or Gabby or....
The reason that Azure plays outside at times is to open the lane for entry passes to forwards and for guards to drive without the opponents center aka shot blocker
to be there. if she gets to be about 30% she will be that more effective.

Reaction Score
I don't care if Stevens makes another 3 pt shot this season, she has to continue to shoot them. Her shooting 3s forces the opposing defense to extend out to guard her, that opens up the lane for Collier and Williams to go to work. It also brings the defense out tighter on her so she can use her explosive first step and attack off the dribble. As long as she continues to shoot open, in rhythm shots, it's only a matter of time before they start falling for her. Will she ever be the next KML? No, but I can see her in the .350-.375 range and that is pretty damn good for your 6'6 Post.

This.

She needs to be a credible threat to shoot from the outside. If we have 2-3 guys on the floor who aren't willing shooters from the outside, the defense will collapse and offense will stagnate.

That said, she should be more judicious about when to pull the trigger. Preferably top of the key, in rhythm, off of an inside-out pass.

arch

Reaction Score
Whose guarding a 15% 3 pt shooter? The actual result will be the opposition playing 5 on 4 and cluttering up the post.

(Originally posted 10%)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope she isn't auditioning for the WNBA this year. ;)
Much prefer her working on defense now against bigs preparing for teams like Baylor, Texas, Miss state S Carol down the road

Reaction Score
She should never jack up 3's. I don't know what she did in the past, but the simple truth is that 1) she's not a good outside shooter, and 2) she has no business shooting from the outside. She should stay within 10 feet of the basket- at all times!!! She is incredibly effective in close, but loses all of the advantages of her 6'6" frame when she moves outside.

Makes no sense. I suspect that Coach Geno is letting her figure out for herself that she's hurting the team when she does that.

Just has to stop.

Reaction Score
No because she is dominant everywhere else on the court as for her 3s is not falling for her she does so many other things so well.

Reaction Score
Absolutely in the blowout games she should keep shooting (while not taking a lot.). You mean she was a pretty good 3pt shooter before that now she should limit her game? That sounds more like the Duke coach talking. It's Jan 10th. Long ways to go.

Reaction Score
Answer is yes, but she should take smart shots. I recall a game or two ago she just checked in and launched a long three. Probably not what Geno wants, the girl didn't even break a sweat yet.
In the flow, open yes, otherwise run the offense

Reaction Score
She should shoot a 3 from time to time, IMHO, but to get the ball at the three-point line and just chuck it up there is not the right play for her or, generally, anyone else. I am sure she is playing outside for a reason, but it seems like half the time, they are using her like Kaili McLaren. That'd be fine if she could not play inside, but she can.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As far as I am concerned, Z should take a few rhythm 3's to keep her confidence up and continue her player development. In college ball, she can completely live in the paint but she does have a bright future in the WNBA. I think player development is an important part of Geno's job description both ethically in preparing players for the next level as well as keeping the highest level recruits coming to UConn. In the WNBA, a complete game is important for her since I do not see her as a Fowles type monster.

Reaction Score
Ok, so when she plays against Wilson, Holmes and/or McCowan, let her go beyond the arc but until then, let the more proficient shooters do that. She has been absolutely dominating inside so if it ain't broke, why fix it? The other point we must acknowledge is by taking rushed shots (not setting your feet or whatever is causing 15% shooting), you lose the opportunity with other shooters with better shots (basically anything > 15%). That's the issue I have. She has taken far too many of them and even if she is a 39% shooter from there, her dominance inside warrants more shots from inside-Kia and Lou are 40%+ from beyond, leave it to them.

I don't agree with this it at all. SO your strategy would be keep AZ on the inside vs the crummy teams so UCONNould probably win by an extra 10+ points per game and in the games which the opposition has a better chance to win you think it's okay for her to shoot? No way. No way. Noway.

Secondly, AZ is currently 5-33. We read the same type of posts from many year over year that just look at early data and think it has any type of meaning. For example there were many on this board clamoring for lou to stop taking 3's and get inside. SHe was 12-47 as a frosh. Over the years you'd hear posters saying Tuck and Stewie shouldn't be taking 3;s. IMO those that say don't shoot have all been wrong and will continue to be wrong especially since you already know at Duke AZ shot well and you hear that the coach says she shoots well.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom