Should your name be outed? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should your name be outed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, color me dubious, Jim, but I don't believe your avatar is a picture of you...
and
Arty155>>Here, here! And on behalf of all Mars, may I also express our complements on your photo, Mr. Grant! :)<<<<<

I post with my real name (without space) but, trust me, you wouldn't be impressed by my real photo.
Nan made me do it. Well, she SAID I could do it (after that Betty Davis eyes deal):p

JS

Reaction Score
I think "hung" has been used at times for "persons".
You're correct, Oz. "Hanged" is more proper-speak, "hung" more colloquial (a good way to write in this milieu IMO).

According to Merriam-Webster's:

For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate for official executions <he was to be hanged, cut down whilst still alive … and his bowels torn out — Louis Allen> but hung is also used <gave orders that she should be hung — Peter Quennell>. Hung is more appropriate for less formal hangings <by morning I'll be hung in effigy — Ronald Reagan>.
And a further apropos comment for the anonymous internet pedant posting as Kibitzer:

If you make a point of observing the distinction [between hanged and hung] in your writing you will not thereby become a better writer, but you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
You're correct, Oz. "Hanged" is more proper-speak, "hung" more colloquial (a good way to write in this milieu IMO).

According to Merriam-Webster's:

For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate for official executions <he was to be hanged, cut down whilst still alive … and his bowels torn out — Louis Allen> but hung is also used <gave orders that she should be hung — Peter Quennell>. Hung is more appropriate for less formal hangings <by morning I'll be hung in effigy — Ronald Reagan>.
And a further apropos comment for the anonymous internet pedant posting as Kibitzer:

If you make a point of observing the distinction [between hanged and hung] in your writing you will not thereby become a better writer, but you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong.

Hung is also used as a male graphic morphological appellation indicating girth of loins…and on occasion, coupled with “up’, used to describe prevalent compulsive attitude or behavior seen as inappropriate by the user of the term.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Kib, you just brought back fond memories of my 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. McGee. One of her ditties was, "Curtains are hung, people are hanged".

Never mind. I won't carry this topic any further, much less exhume Jefferson, Adams and Franklin.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...If you make a point of observing the distinction [between hanged and hung] in your writing you will not thereby become a better writer, but you will spare yourself the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong.

I concurr conccur agree. I think I read on Yahoo Answers that no less authority than Merriam Webster herself (Daniel’s sister) decided them distinctions ended after the Hang Dynasty (J.R. Hang famously was shot in the final 1980 episode of Dynasty (Or maybe Dallas; actually, they kinda seemed the same :confused: ).

JS

Reaction Score
Never mind. I won't carry this topic any further, much less exhume Jefferson, Adams and Franklin.
To observe the Kibitzerian Dichotomy, if you did you'd find that none of them was hanged, but at least two -- Franklin according to the ladies of Paris and Jefferson according to the slaves of Monticello -- were hung.

Reaction Score
Kib, you just brought back fond memories of my 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. McGee. One of her ditties was, "Curtains are hung, people are hanged".
And if you're hanged, it's curtains for you.

Reaction Score
There's a whole other context wherein hung is the proper word, and happily, the subject remains alive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To observe the Kibitzerian Dichotomy, if you did you'd find that none of them was hanged, but at least two -- Franklin according to the ladies of Paris and Jefferson according to the slaves of Monticello -- were hung.
I was trying to stay away from that interpretation, but since Doris Burke has said that Geno has the best package around, she has already brought it up.

JS

Reaction Score
He's a latin lover?
Are you asking whether I'm a lover of latins, or a latin who's a lover, or an aficionado of a dead language ?

Just in case it matters to the answer.

I might, of course, be all three -- someone who, after an evening of damiana tequila and dancing the bachata, says veni, vidi, vici.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Are you asking whether I'm a lover of latins, or a latin who's a lover, or an aficionado of a dead language ?

Just in case it matters to the answer.

I might, of course, be all three -- someone who, after an evening of damiana tequila and dancing the bachata, says veni, vidi, vici.
The law school curriculum is much broader than I realized! You have been trained well. :)

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
The law school curriculum is much broader than I realized! You have been trained well. :)

You mean we can take his diapers away now? The pottie is in the corner, JS, and no accidents.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This thread is ready to be hung up.... Or hanged up.

Reaction Score
For a serious case (eg, murder), I'd agree that the names should be revealed.

But libel from a newspaper comments section?
If that's the case, then I look forward to DNA testing to find out who wrote "for a good time call XXX" on the bathroom wall.

Who determines "serious". I'd have to be against this. Just think: I'd still be on trial or maybe in jail for predicting DD wasn't coming to UCONN, hah!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This thread proves only one thing. Whether one is hung on posting or trained to type blindfolded with both hands tied behind your back, people who post on the BY deserve to outed and carted off to the nearest insane asylum. Anyone got meds, I ran out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Be careful what you say to JS, sometimes lawyers just show up on your doorstep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom