Should we transition to an option run offense in the offseason? | The Boneyard

Should we transition to an option run offense in the offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It baffles me that our passing game looks less complex than most pop warner teams. Every year, we seem to recruit QB's/WR's with potential. In the past 5 years, we've had a handful of OC's all with diffrent approaches on the passing game. Yet, we suck and it's frustrating. Although I would love a team with a great passing attack, I'm not sure if we will ever get there.

Do we look at schools like Georgia Tech and the naval academies and run that type of offense? I would not reccomend making a midseason change, but is it worth considering? I think we have the right QB (SM) on the roster and a rb (LM) that would thrive in getting pitches in open space. We've always been a strong run blocking team. If executed properly, it could allow us to control the clock.

BTW, I still believe in Whitmer as QB. I'm still hoping our passing game will evolve (not sure what year.) I also think that Whitmer/Davis have the potential to evolve into the best pass catching combo in the history of the program.

If we did convert to an option offense, would it give us an advantage in recruiting certain players.

In'm curious to see what the rest of the 'Yard thinks?

Reaction Score
We have been hitting between two to three hundred yards passing for most of our games. Interceptions have been under control despite the rutgers game That's with three Recievers and qb playing their first year together. I would have to say our passing game is one of the few bright spots

Reaction Score
Going to an option offense will only ensure that UConn continues without a passing game and make it harder to recruit future playmakers.UConn already been to one-dimensional.

Reaction Score
We are 64th in the nation in passing averaging 230 yards/game. We are solidly average at passing the ball. The problem isn't our inability to pass, its the fact our rushing is ranked 120th in the country. I don't expect TD husky to end the drumbeat that throwing the ball equals wins since we're throwing the ball well relatively well and losing anyway.

Moving to an option is a horrible idea because it would require an OL coach who hasn't been able to implement his system in 2 years, to try and implement a new one in just one year. Terrible idea, no offense.

Reaction Score
The only problem with the passing offense, well two - is the sacks, and that we have more INT's thrown than TD's. As far as moving the chains, and diversity, and the simple ability of players on the field, we are better than we ahve been in a long time with th epassing game. Whitmer is every bit as physically tough as any QB we've had that's come before him, and he's actually got quick feet and a nice throw, just in a smaller body than the other QBs we've had before.

The running offense? We don't have one anymore.

It's less risky to get a turnover with the running game, than with the passing game.

Although our systems have changed dramatically in all three phases of the game, nothing else much - statistically - has changed with the program as far as production on the field, except that scoring on offense is way down, and turnovers are way up.

Our average field position, our ability to move the ball on offense, our ability to stop people on defense, play special teams? It's all statistically, not that different from where we were in 2010, except for turnovers. It's highly likely, that had our pass TD to Interceptions numbers been reversed to this point in the season, we'd be 5-3 or better, instead of 3-5 or worse.

I'm tired of one dimensional offenses though. Very tired.

And running a triple option? No thanks. We can't get a zone blocking system right, what makes you think we could block a triple option?

Reaction Score
We are 64th in the nation in passing averaging 230 yards/game. We are solidly average at passing the ball. The problem isn't our inability to pass, its the fact our rushing is ranked 120th in the country. I don't expect TD husky to end the drumbeat that throwing the ball equals wins since we're throwing the ball well relatively well and losing anyway.

Moving to an option is a horrible idea because it would require an OL coach who hasn't been able to implement his system in 2 years, to try and implement a new one in just one year. Terrible idea, no offense.

Relatively? Compared to whom? 64th in the country? Isn't that just the sixty-third second place.

Reaction Score
When our OL was solid out QB's were just not great passers. Now that we have a decent passer and we're seeing less of the "wild" cat, the line and the offense in general is out of sync. Whit isn't the problem and the recievers could probably get the job done if we were a better c--ch-d offense.

Reaction Score
Imagine how much better Whitmer would be with a running game. Play-action pass down the seam to griffin, which he has scored on a few times would be even better. Also opens up the deep pass to philipps and smith. My biggest disappointment besides the o-line & McCombs has been N. Williams. He's had plenty of chances to step-up and he hasn't done it. Too many fair catches when we could of used an return and too many dropped balls. Where are you N.Williams? Step up and lead like a captain should.

Reaction Score
To go to that offense we would have to get a new O coordinator. Win for us.;) It is such a different mentality I would not be in favor of this and Johnson is struggling at Georgia Tech. One has to wonder if we should be recruiting for and trying to go to a spread read option which is behind so many successful offenses these days. Look how much trouble our D has with this. Instead of rushing the QB and zeroing in on an aiming point the DE's are trying to figure out who has the ball and it slows them down. They guess wrong and the QB is off to the races. Edsall is going this route in his new home. Having a QB that isn't a running threat is making it much easier for the defense. Of course our braintrust came from the NFL where running QB's are the exception and lousey teams run the wildcat. When Navy joins the Big East we will all get our fill of the true option and I predict we will struggle to stop it. It was the first game of the year so it was hard to gauge at the time but the job Notre Dame did on Navy was a indicator of how good their Defense is.

Reaction Score
Relatively? Compared to whom? 64th in the country? Isn't that just the sixty-third second place.
Compared to UConn since Orlovsky left.

There really is no use in trying to have a logical discussion with you anyway. We pass the ball better than we have since 2004, but can't run for , and are getting the worst results since 2005, 2006. But just keep posting that we would win if we could just throw the ball. We haven't heard that from you in 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom