Should UConn's Paige Bueckers win national player of the year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should UConn's Paige Bueckers win national player of the year?

Reaction Score
Naz scores and rebounds. She hasn't taken a 3-point shot, she has very few assists and steals. Doesn't sound like the NPOY to me.

Reaction Score
It starts with built in anti-UConn sentiment. People think she’s overrated because she goes to UConn and everyone is over-publicizing her (there’s also that one other factor that we probably don’t want to get into lest the moderators go on high alert, but she’s derisively called something that rhymes with “tight curl” a lot).

If pretty much any other player in basketball history averaged 20 and 6 for the No. 1 team in the nation (with over 50 pct shooting and a 2.5 assist to turnover ratio), they’d be universally considered in the top handful of candidates with no backlash. But everyone wants so badly for her to fail and be overrated that they won’t take evidence to the contrary. If UT fans want to say she’s overrated because she was 3-14, ok, I can maybe live with that (small sample size notwithstanding), but even SC fans who literally watched her torch them into oblivion in crunch time think she’s getting undue attention.

Let em whine. Keep in mind that for someone to post comments like that her success must really stick in their craw. And they are going to go crazy next season when people start saying that UConn has a team of AA's and maybe the best backcourt in the history of wcbb.

Reaction Score
If Paige stays all 4 years then likely yes. Clark i think stands a great shot too, especially with her improved play as the season has continued.
Clark will definitely be an AA, I think. Just depends which level. I think she could be first team, and I wouldn’t have said she had a chance at that two weeks ago. Some of the strikes I mention against her (Iowa being last in the country in team defense) are more for NPOY discussion when the bar is higher.

Personally, I think I’d go Bueckers-Evans-Hillmon-Smith-Clark first team (Howard and McDonald had too many clunkers in big games), although I want to see what happens in the Maryland-Michigan game tomorrow with Owusu and Hillmon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Clark will definitely be an AA, I think. Just depends which level. I think she could be first team, and I wouldn’t have said she had a chance at that two weeks ago. Some of the strikes I mention against her (Iowa being last in the country in team defense) are more for NPOY discussion when the bar is higher.

Personally, I think I’d go Bueckers-Evans-Hillmon-Smith-Clark first team (Howard and McDonald had too many clunkers in big games), although I want to see what happens in the Maryland-Michigan game tomorrow with Owusu and Hillmon.

Every week my 1st Team AA list changes....I'd probably have the same team too after Clark's performances the last couple of weeks. Owusu is one who I think is right on the cusp too. I'd maybe put her on 1st team over Smith/Clark/Hillmon depending on tomorrow and the conference tournament. She's been sorely overlooked by a lot of press this year. I still have Boston/Dungee in the mix too. McDonald seems to be getting a fair amount of media love this year but I think she's have a borderline 2nd/3rd team type of season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To be honest the bolded statement is kind of not true. More times than not it has been Nika or Evina running the offense. And the offense and defense works well since Nika came into her own. More and more it is Paige on the wing. It is true that they will run a play for Paige at the end of the quarter or end of the half. Paige is clutch .....
Even though Paige isn't the one up top to start much of the time, she's running the offense.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking there are 2 questions here: Will she win and Should she win...and the answers are: No and maybe.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The trouble with saying there may be a split is that the committees don’t compare notes and say - you give it to Paige, we’ll give it to Dana. They vote independently.

What‘s unfortunate, and I guess not surprising, is that in the Twitter responses to this story the knives are coming out. Paige is very much not liked already outside of Storrs. God forbid she have a bad day in the tournament - I might stay off Twitter for a few weeks.
Its not that they dislike Paige, it's because she gets too much attention. The ESPN app shows all of her highlights, even when she plays a poor game. People are tired of hearing about her, and frankly I can see their point. People hate UCONN because of all the attention they get. The team has been putting up with that for years, but that is the price they pay for being GREAT. We all know this, and unfortunately Paige is famous for being famous, and the only thing she can do is perform and earn their respect. As a UCONN player, there will always be haters.

Reaction Score
Its not that they dislike Paige, it's because she gets too much attention. The ESPN app shows all of her highlights, even when she plays a poor game. People are tired of hearing about her, and frankly I can see their point. People hate UCONN because of all the attention they get. The team has been putting up with that for years, but that is the price they pay for being GREAT. We all know this, and unfortunately Paige is famous for being famous, and the only thing she can do is perform and earn their respect. As a UCONN player, there will always be haters.
People who are famous for being famous are often disliked..it goes with the territory...see Kardashian as another example.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
People who are famous for being famous are often disliked..it goes with the territory...see Kardashian as another example.
When Geno said the line, it was of course funny but there is a reason so many people liked her game in HS and she worked hard to be the best HS player in the country and earn her stripes as MVP in the USA basketball tournaments etc. And I am not saying Paige did not enjoy the attention, she certainly did and played a part in feeding it but it is not exactly the path Kim took to be famous. :rolleyes:

More importantly, never ever read the comments.

Reaction Score
When Geno said the line, it was of course funny but there is a reason so many people liked her game in HS and she worked hard to be the best HS player in the country and earn her stripes as MVP in the USA basketball tournaments etc. And I am not saying Paige did not enjoy the attention, she certainly did and played a part in feeding it but it is not exactly the path Kim took to be famous. :rolleyes:

Lol we all knew how she got famous...maybe not a good example..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Lol we all knew how she got famous...maybe not a good example..
:eek: I have no idea what you two are talking about! :D

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Every week my 1st Team AA list changes....I'd probably have the same team too after Clark's performances the last couple of weeks. Owusu is one who I think is right on the cusp too. I'd maybe put her on 1st team over Smith/Clark/Hillmon depending on tomorrow and the conference tournament. She's been sorely overlooked by a lot of press this year. I still have Boston/Dungee in the mix too. McDonald seems to be getting a fair amount of media love this year but I think she's have a borderline 2nd/3rd team type of season.

McDonald had a much better season last year (and even the year before); if she gets AA this year will be only because she finally got the hype she deserved.

I'm a big fan of Owusu (19ppg, 6rpg, 6apg, 49% FG; 2.3:1 a/to); she's oddly been nominated for the top SG award over the top PG award, despite being one of the top PGs in the nation IMO. What hurts her cause for a 5 member first team is her teammate, Diamond Miller, is having a nearly as impressive season (17.7ppg, 6.1rpg, 50%FG, 39% 3-pt). The fact that they are both sophomores is...chilling for B10 fans.

Reaction Score
I’m curious to research if there’s ever been a 20 ppg scorer for a No. 1 ranked team who didn't win a NPOY award. Might be tricky to find that out, though, the further back you go and the less is on line. Maya was at about 18 ppg the year Tina won it, but that would be chalked up to unusual circumstances.

It’s probably happened here or there - someone averaging 25 on the No. 3 team or something like that.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
as far as Voepelle ... she tends to toot her own horn... ESPNW awards are chosen by like 3 people - nice but that's about it.

With all due, NOTHING could be further from the truth.

I have known Mechelle Voepel (in person) since 2007 (had previously communicated with her via email and phone since 2002). Since 2007, we have made it a point to see each other a few times per year (pre-COVID), to both watch basketball games and go out to dinner. She is the one of the most unassuming people I know, someone who is always willing to listen to and consider the perspectives of others, while also including non-traditional metrics as part of her analysis.

Mechelle is not someone who "tends to toot her own horn" by an stretch of the imagination. Rather, she is far more self-deprecating than almost any ESPN analyst/commentator/columnist I know. And she is always quick to defer to others (and give credit to them) whom she believes to be more knowledgeable on a particular subject matter.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I admired Mechelle for her confronting Kim Mulkey on her very disturbing support of Baylor, I do find Mechelle's opinions lacking facts to support them at times questionable or downright missing. She has an opinion and expresses it. I do not think she ever toots her own horn other than publishing articles with her opinion, which in itself, promotes WCBB. I did say above that Mechelle certainly should have listed Rhyne, Naz and others flaws/concerns the way she listed them for Paige. That is an omission that the editor should have called out for better and more fair reporting. IMO...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I doubt Shaq had very many assists, steals, or 3s. I believe he was pretty good.
Not the point, Shaq was great at what he did and HOF for what he did. Naz is very good at what she does, it's just that what she doesn't do is glaring in comparison.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Paige is NPOY because without her UConn would not be ranked number 1. Shes the engine that runs the team. You cant say that about a team not ranked in the top 4/5 imo. Evans is a difference maker for LVille. Clark is a great player but her team is not gonna compete for a NC. TAM SC Stanford NC State all have great teams and great players but none have done what Paige has done. Think how much better the top teams would be if they had Paige. Thats all you need to know to know that Paige is the NPOY.

Reaction Score
I’m curious to research if there’s ever been a 20 ppg scorer for a No. 1 ranked team who didn't win a NPOY award. Might be tricky to find that out, though, the further back you go and the less is on line. Maya was at about 18 ppg the year Tina won it, but that would be chalked up to unusual circumstances.

It’s probably happened here or there - someone averaging 25 on the No. 3 team or something like that.
So I did look this up using the Naismith Award as a starting spot. It’s very rare, although it actually happened in a quirky year to both Napheesa and KLS in 2017 when they both averaged just over 20 for No. 1 UConn and Kelsey Plum won it averaging 31.7. Obviously no argument there - both for Plum‘s explosion and UConn essentially having co-MVPs making it difficult to vote for one.

Alana Beard averaged 19.7 for No. 1 Duke in 2004 when she lost the Naismith to Taurasi, so in the same ballpark in scoring as Paige - but Beard won the Wade, the Wooden and the AP Player of the Year.

Stephanie White of No. 1 Purdue in 1998-99 averaged 20.4 and lost the Naismith to Holdsclaw who repeated for No. 2 Tennessee. White won both the Wade and the Honda, though.

Then you go back to 1989-90 for Venus Lacy who averaged 24 for No. 1 La Tech but lost to Jennifer Azzi of No. 2 Stanford, who averaged 14.7 and 6.0 assists and won most major awards. Lacy did manage to take the WBCA Player of the Year (which no longer exists for the DI level), but Azzi virtually swept.

So to find a 20 ppg scorer on a No. 1 team, other than KLS and Pheesa, who won nothing, you have to go back to Annette Smith of Texas in 1983-84, who averaged 24.9 in the Cheryl Miller era (Janice Lawrence of No. 2 La Tech (21 ppg, 8 rpg, 62 pct shooting) won a couple too that year).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom