Should UConn hire Ryan Odom? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should UConn hire Ryan Odom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m not advocating for him, but this is not a guy who won 1 game.

He was named the winner of the 2017 Joe B. Hall Award, which is presented annually to the top first-year coach in Division I.

Reaction Score
UMBC has won 46 games (and counting) in his two years at UMBC. From 2010-2016 (7 seasons), UMBC won 41 games. Odom will make some team happy this offseason.

Reaction Score
UMBC has won 46 games (and counting) in his two years at UMBC. From 2010-2016 (7 seasons), UMBC won 41 games. Odom will make some team happy this offseason.

There is a "ladder" that college coaches usually have to climb. Odom's next step up the ladder will be a mid-major like URI, the same way Danny Hurley went from Wagner to URI. Unless you think URI and UCONN are at the same level, UCONN seems a bit of a jump, for now.

Reaction Score
There is a ladder, though sometimes you can hop a step. Low-hanging fruit in a major conference could suffice.

Reaction Score
I’m not advocating for him, but this is not a guy who won 1 game.

He was named the winner of the 2017 Joe B. Hall Award, which is presented annually to the top first-year coach in Division I.
I’m aware you’re not advocating for him by noting that, but I can’t not counter with a reminder that Bob Diaco won the Broyles award for best assistant coach a couple years before turning a dumpster fire of a program into a nuclear melt-down of a program

Reaction Score
There is a ladder, though sometimes you can hop a step. Low-hanging fruit in a major conference could suffice.
You can hop a step, especially when you your success is that much greater than those around you. His isn't.

He may be able to hop up past ECU though I hope that's where he ends up.

Reaction Score
I’m aware you’re not advocating for him by noting that, but I can’t not counter with a reminder that Bob Diaco won the Broyles award for best assistant coach a couple years before turning a dumpster fire of a program into a nuclear melt-down of a program
This is the perfect thing to remind people. Always go with the bigger sample size. You may not be right, but it's a better bet.

Reaction Score
You can hop a step, especially when you your success is that much greater than those around you. His isn't.

He may be able to hop up past ECU though I hope that's where he ends up.
Enfield went straight from Dunk City to USC. It really isn’t that unusual. The best mid-major coaches are where the upper-half of the power conferences shop. For everyone else, assistant coaches and lower-tier success stories provide a steady stream from which lower-tier power conference schools can gamble on.

Reaction Score
Enfield went straight from Dunk City to USC. It really isn’t that unusual. The best mid-major coaches are where the upper-half of the power conferences shop. For everyone else, assistant coaches and lower-tier success stories provide a steady stream from which lower-tier power conference schools can gamble on.
How's he doing there...

Reaction Score
How's he doing there...
I think he got a 1000% increase in his salary on the back of one good weekend, so it could have been worse. He could have gone to ECU while following the ladder to success or whatever it is you all think is the pecking order for coaches.

I’m wondering now if you think I’m advocating UConn should hire Odom. I’m not. But Odom can dare to dream bigger than ECU at this stage. Strike while the iron is hot. There will be more than a few lower-tier power conference schools willing to gamble on Odom.

Reaction Score
I think he got a 1000% increase in his salary on the back of one good weekend, so it could have been worse. He could have gone to ECU while following the ladder to success or whatever it is you all think is the pecking order for coaches.

I’m wondering now if you think I’m advocating UConn should hire Odom. I’m not. But Odom can dare to dream bigger than ECU at this stage. Strike while the iron is hot.
So, great for him, but not so great for the school who hired him.

Are we a fan of Ryan Odom or of UConn?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There is a "ladder" that college coaches usually have to climb. Odom's next step up the ladder will be a mid-major like URI, the same way Danny Hurley went from Wagner to URI. Unless you think URI and UCONN are at the same level, UCONN seems a bit of a jump, for now.

Andy Enfield had only two years at FGCU (only one with a winning record) before going to USC. Five years there, two appearances in the dance (1st round and 2nd round exits). This year in NIT despite 2nd place finish in PAC12. Certainly better last three seasons than KO.

Reaction Score
I’m a fan of not believing that there is a defined route to better jobs and that Odom has to take an ECU situation before he looks higher. He’s almost the very definition of a calculated risk that is the best hope for bottom-dwellers in power conferences.

Reaction Score
I’m a fan of not believing that there is a defined route to better jobs and that Odom has to take an ECU situation before he looks higher. He’s almost the very definition of a calculated risk that is the best hope for bottom-dwellers in power conferences.
Which, to be fair, isn't us. So I don't know why someone brought him up.

Reaction Score
Which, to be fair, isn't us. So I don't know why someone brought him up.
I agree. I was merely arguing that Odom’s next job need not be a mid-major. He will have a lot of offers from a lot of places. UConn shouldn’t be one of them just given where you want to be. But a lot of schools don’t have such lofty aspirations. Beating the #1 team in the tourney would be talked about at a place like Vanderbilt for generations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44