Should the Uconn Basketball Programs go Independent? | The Boneyard

Should the Uconn Basketball Programs go Independent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although Uconn has many successful teams, Uconn's bread and butter is their basketball program. Any success the football team had, the improvement in education, the money the school has earned through athletics etc.. it's all from Basketball.

The school tried to make itself a football school. But that's not what Uconn is.

And now that the Big East has absolutely nothing to give to our basketball program...we can't let them hinder the program with poor opponents and a lack of media coverage. Not to mention, the recent confirmation that Uconn will not be playing in the last BE tournament shows a considerable lack of appreciation. Why should Uconn help out the BE?

But if the basketball program went independent, both teams could play a tougher strength of schedule. It could have television exposure from playing those teams. It would suck to not have a tournament, but the tournament is about to suck anyway.

Uconn has tried to use it's basketball teams to aid the other athletic programs, now its time to do what's best for our basketball teams.

Reaction Score
Although Uconn has many successful teams, Uconn's bread and butter is their basketball program. Any success the football team had, the improvement in education, the money the school has earned through athletics etc.. it's all from Basketball.

The school tried to make itself a football school. But that's not what Uconn is.

And now that the Big East has absolutely nothing to give to our basketball program...we can't let them hinder the program with poor opponents and a lack of media coverage. Not to mention, the recent confirmation that Uconn will not be playing in the last BE tournament shows a considerable lack of appreciation. Why should Uconn help out the BE?

But if the basketball program went independent, both teams could play a tougher strength of schedule. It could have television exposure from playing those teams. It would suck to not have a tournament, but the tournament is about to suck anyway.

Uconn has tried to use it's basketball teams to aid the other athletic programs, now its time to do what's best for our basketball teams.

It's a little early to give up on football especially since football drives all college athletics.

Reaction Score
I believe if you look at it from a purely financial aspect, the football program is actually more profitable (though I read that a while ago so I'm not positive).

Reaction Score
I agree with palatine. I also question whether you could in fact schedule tougher teams as an independent. Indeed, I question whether you could schedule much of anyone after the first of January. That is when teams begin their conference schedules, and getting folks to schedule UConn during that time would be tricky. I doubt it could work unless there were at least a few other Independents who would provide scheduling flexibility. Schools join conferences for a bunch of reasons, but to insure they'll have a schedule and to guarantee a minimum number of home dates is not unimportant. Finally, you have the problem of what to do while every other league is playing its conference tournament. those not only generate money, they give teams a second chance to qualify for the NCAAs, both by offering a bid to the winner but also by allowing bubble teams to strengthen their resumes. UConn would lose out on that opportunity as well.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I agree with palatine. I also question whether you could in fact schedule tougher teams as an independent. Indeed, I question whether you could schedule much of anyone after the first of January. That is when teams begin their conference schedules, and getting folks to schedule UConn during that time would be tricky. I doubt it could work unless there were at least a few other Independents who would provide scheduling flexibility. Schools join conferences for a bunch of reasons, but to insure they'll have a schedule and to guarantee a minimum number of home dates is not unimportant. Finally, you have the problem of what to do while every other league is playing its conference tournament. those not only generate money, they give teams a second chance to qualify for the NCAAs, both by offering a bid to the winner but also by allowing bubble teams to strengthen their resumes. UConn would lose out on that opportunity as well.
On the girls side it's probably more viable and even Geno has admitted (for the reasons you've stated) that Indy would be a no go. Just can't do it.

Reaction Score
Not sure it's viable to schedule 30 out of conference games. You're going to find about 18 teams to schedule during the conference portion of their schedule? I just don't see how you'd be able to do that.

Reaction Score
Never happen. Most likely impossible to schedule 27 games. Also would miss the last week when everyone is playing in their conference tour..

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Are there even any independent basketball programs out there?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Never happen. Most likely impossible to schedule 27 games. Also would miss the last week when everyone is playing in their conference tour..

ND basketball couldn't do it when conferences were smaller and there were more OOC games.

Can't be done by UCONN today.

Reaction Score
I thought Louisville was (although the school might have been entirely independent) for a while.

The football team may technically have made more money for the university (although I doubt that'll be true over time) we are a basketball school, and we are likely never going to be a football school.

Reaction Score
I thought Louisville was (although the school might have been entirely independent) for a while.

The football team may technically have made more money for the university (although I doubt that'll be true over time) we are a basketball school, and we are likely never going to be a football school.

Disagree. It may be easier for UConn to win basketball championships (who would have made that statement 30 years ago!), but we can be competitive in football, including some top 10 finishes in the future. Schools like BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Louisville, ... have done it, so I see no reason why UConn can't. UConn football experienced decent success after upgrading to FBS, but the program has stalled in the last few years after going to a BCS bowl. I don't think it will stall forever.

UConn fans don't seem to understand that building a football program takes decades, not a couple of years. You have to keep building, expanding, and striving.

Look at some local comps and how their popularity grew over time:

1) Penn State: Their football stadium held 30k until they expanded in 1960 to 46k. The stadium held 60k as recently as 1978 and today it holds 108k +/-.

2) Syracuse: Archbold Stadium held 40k and capacity was 26k the year it was closed in 1978. Carrier Dome holds 50k.

3) Rutgers: Rutgers Stadium held ~31k. Their current stadium opened in 1994 with a capacity of 41.5k. They have expanded to 52k.

4) BC: Football stadium opened in 1957 and held 26k until 1970. They expanded to 32k in 1971 and expanded to 44.5k in 1995.

5) Maryland: Football stadium opened in 1950 with a capacity of ~35k. Expanded to 45k in 1976, 48k in 1995, and ultimately, 54k in 2008.

Reaction Score
Good God, no. That puts in a category with Chicago State, Longwood and NJIT. Unless those schools found homes recently.

If we're independent in hoops, we're independent in everything else, except sports that have their unique set ups (hockey). You'd be taking away a route to the postseason for the whole athletic department

Reaction Score
No, not a chance. Dumb to even consider. I'd rather be in the sun belt then independent in basketball.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
The money would never work.

Not TV contracts, not home and home agreements....Having to schedule a complete 25 game, unaffiliated schedule....?

No way that ever works.

Reaction Score

How is this best?

Reaction Score
Going independant would create a scheduling nightmere. There is much more to athlectics at Uconn than just football, and M/W basketball.
Reallignment is fluid and we have to hang on with football program . Too much money has already been invested to kick football aside. Even the cluster frick NBE is better than being independant.

Reaction Score
If you think the Big East sched will be bad in a couple years imagine the riff raff you'll get scrounging for teams looking to play OOC in January and February and March. One big time opponent isn't hard to come by after Christmas, but 15-18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom