Should the NCAA selection shows happen anyway? | The Boneyard

Should the NCAA selection shows happen anyway?

Should the MBB and WBB selection shows go forward despite the cancellation of the tournaments?

• Yes

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • Only if UConn is placed in Fort Wayne

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some chatter developing along these lines, as a way of celebrating the teams that would've made it in.

What do y'all think?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What about all the conferences that didn't start or complete their tournaments. I had money on Oklahoma beating Baylor and taking the Big 12 crown.

Teams had the recognition of their regular season records and some had their tournament performances. Are we really going to do a selection show for a nonexistent tournament? Going to set up cameras to show team reactions?

Let Creme have his day and just use his final bracket - does the committee really want to spend the 36 hours or whatever they spend create the brackets? And are you going to do it in person or have them do major teleconferences?

Plebe

Reaction Score
What about all the conferences that didn't start or complete their tournaments. I had money on Oklahoma beating Baylor and taking the Big 12 crown.

Teams had the recognition of their regular season records and some had their tournament performances. Are we really going to do a selection show for a nonexistent tournament? Going to set up cameras to show team reactions?

Let Creme have his day and just use his final bracket - does the committee really want to spend the 36 hours or whatever they spend create the brackets? And are you going to do it in person or have them do major teleconferences?
It certainly gets thorny in the details.

The Ivy League was the first to cancel its tournaments several days ago, and they awarded their automatic bid to the regular-season champs.

Similarly, the ACC, after canceling its MBB tournament today, awarded its championship trophy to regular-season leader Florida State.

The same can be done for any conference that didn't complete its tournament. Award the auto bid to the tournament #1 seed or, if that team had already lost (as Central Michigan in the MAC), to the highest remaining seed. Yes, I'm sure Oklahoma WBB will be devastated because they were poised to win 4 games in 4 days.

Needless to say, the bracket would be different than it would have been without the cancellations -- especially on the men's side, were none of the major conferences had finished tournament play.

But ... between a flawed and arguably pointless selection show and nothing, I still think I'll take the flawed and arguably pointless option.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And a chance to recover maybe 0.1% of the money they lost from March Madness ;)
Hey if they don't want to take the money, I will :p

Plebe

Reaction Score
@Plebe, I understand the urge to want to see how the brackets would have been filled in and the exercise might not be flawed but it would not be arguably pointless, it would be absolutely, totally pointless. And very weird.
Well, I say 'arguably' only because many coaches are arguing that it would serve a useful purpose of recognizing the teams that would've made it in. So while you and many others feel it's totally pointless, others are clearly arguing to the contrary ... hence 'arguably'.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most of the teams that would have made it know already. The few bubble teams that would make it and the ones that would not can all happy claim that they are sure they would have made it had the bracket been completed - why disappoint half of them?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
@Plebe, I understand the urge to want to see how the brackets would have been filled in and the exercise might not be flawed but it would not be arguably pointless, it would be absolutely, totally pointless. And very weird.
Weird, sad, disappointing and pointless.

Reaction Score
Well, I say 'arguably' only because many coaches are arguing that it would serve a useful purpose of recognizing the teams that would've made it in. So while you and many others feel it's totally pointless, others are clearly arguing to the contrary ... hence 'arguably'.
Point taken. For me it is hard enough to have to realize that there will be no tournament without having to be reminded of what might have been.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just because some people may be arguing, it does not necessarily follow that their arguments are valid. I wish that people could realize that just because an idea pops into their consciousness, said idea does not have to see the light of day. To paraphrase the WaPO motto, inanity should die in darkness. ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Nah kind of a waste to actually do seedings IMO. I do hope they give out AA honors and Sabrina gets her POY awards though. Would be a shame for so many great seasons to go unrecognized and miss out on individual hardware that has been earned and deserves praise.

Reaction Score
The selection show is based on the NCAA seedings. The NCAA will not be doing seedings for a tournament that's not going to happen, so how would you have a show? I guess you could do it but rename it to the Charlie Creme Show.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The selection show is based on the NCAA seedings. The NCAA will not be doing seedings for a tournament that's not going to happen, so how would you have a show? I guess you could do it but rename it to the Charlie Creme Show.
...and you don't have a selection show with seedings, and you don't have a tournament, how is possible to say anyone didn't make the Final Four of a tournament that didn't happen?

Plebe

Reaction Score
This isn’t really true. The selection committee could do the seedlings and bracket just as they did for the reveals, except with all 64 teams instead of only 16. I’m not talking about ESPN doing the bracket.

Reaction Score
OR...we could have a Boneyard selection show where we let our members vote to create a bracket then figure out some way to go through the rounds to crown an eventual national championship. Creating the bracket would be easy enough by setting rules for the automatic bids and then voting. Figuring out a way to advance would be tougher. Of course we have nothing better to do over the next month.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This isn’t really true. The selection committee could do the seedlings and bracket just as they did for the reveals, except with all 64 teams instead of only 16. I’m not talking about ESPN doing the bracket.
The NCAA is going to run a huge deficit this year without all the March Madness money coming into their coffers. Having them pay the committee to gather for this weekend and put in the hours to do their deliberations in that situations is not going to happen.

Most of the incentives re NCAAs I have seen start with one fee for making the tournament and escalating fees for advancement through the rounds. I suspect most of the coaches that clearly performed well enough to be shoe-ins for the tournament will probably get the first participation fee, but not the escalators.

Reaction Score
Nah kind of a waste to actually do seedings IMO. I do hope they give out AA honors and Sabrina gets her POY awards though. Would be a shame for so many great seasons to go unrecognized and miss out on individual hardware that has been earned and deserves praise.
There is no reason why POY and AA shouldn't be awarded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom