Should the BY ban player tweets? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should the BY ban player tweets?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
No , banning things does not eliminate them ! It is up to us Boneyarders to avoid being boneheads. The mods will tamp down the occasional breach of decorum. and in the meantime, we get a chance at lively and informed discussions. When you turn out the lights, the boogey man is still there. Better to see it and deal with it and move along.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
To be clear, the BY is NOT a democracy. We have benevolent dictators (the Mods) who set all rules. And im Not challenging that authority.

Still I’m curious for opinions on this.

UConn players can’t tweet during the season anyway so this doesn’t really apply to them. Still I find myself uncomfortable see posts featuring tweets from other players or recruits. Since almost every time the reason is related to some controversy — eg, did everyone see what X said about Y?

Even among the savvy kids of today, I’m not sure they fully appreciate how many strangers will read their tweets or try to interpret them.

It all just has a creepy voyeuristic sense to me , and I’m Gen-X !

Just my 1.4 cents.

Just my 2 cents. Trust the moderators. They don't let things get out of hand.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
pop.jpg
pop.jpg

Reaction Score
This is the most hypocritical question I have ever seen on this message board. Accept it. We are in the information age and once info is public then it is public and fair game for this discussion board or any other. Our society gave up privacy a long time ago when we started posting our thoughts. It's sort of hilarious to read about folks always trying to put the genie back in the bottle like it's actually possible.

Reaction Score
This is the most hypocritical question I have ever seen on this message board. Accept it. We are in the information age and once info is public then it is public and fair game for this discussion board or any other. .

That has never been the policy of this board, so your comment is pointless.

JS

Reaction Score
That has never been the policy of this board, so your comment is pointless.
"Hypocritical" is a bit personal for my taste as well.

The old adage "attack the post, not the poster" doesn't really work. We've had masters at observing that in form but not in spirit. "Most moronic post ever" is a personal attack.

Watch it, folks.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Vowelguy's original question is at least worthy of debate. And I enjoy a dispassionate ( in this context meaning a respectful, honest exchange of opinions) debate. I give a like to anyone who comes up with a different perspective on either side of the argument, because it makes me examine my opinion more closely. Could I be wrong about this?

Post that go ad hominem or or slur the poster for their opinion are a waste.
I know it will never happen, and I truly don't want it, but maybe that's a good argument for a dislike button.

I miss Icebear's posts. He was always very good at this type of discussion.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
No , banning things does not eliminate them ! It is up to us Boneyarders to avoid being boneheads. The mods will tamp down the occasional breach of decorum. and in the meantime, we get a chance at lively and informed discussions. When you turn out the lights, the boogey man is still there. Better to see it and deal with it and move along.

Boneyard Boneheads. I like that. I think I may be a charter member of that club.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents: Social media is a very public form of communication, hence “media.” A player’s public Twitter account is a place where that player says stuff they intend for the whole world to have access to. I don’t have a Twitter account, so I don’t follow anybody, but it’s very easy to access anyone’s Twitter account on a view-only basis. I do this occasionally if thre’s something I’m looking for. I don’t see anything wrong or voyaristic about following a player on Twitter. They WANT you to do this - they want more follows. It’s all very public. Not at all like spying on somebody’s private business.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So this thread about the propriety of posting tweets is high comedy to a Mod? Oh the irony! :D

Well, if you seriously interpret it that way you are mistaken. It was more intended to show that I was watching the discussion with "interest".

One of our rules is that we request discussion about board rules or our implementation of them be taken to PM. However, the OP was crafted in such a way as to proffer the subject for discussion with a clear understanding that it was to stimulate a discussion of a tricky topic and not a challenge to the operating rules.
As such I let it go and for the most part the discussion has been interesting and revealing.

Tweets by very young ladies can be provocative, either due to it's author's intent or due to the incorrect or extrapolated interpretation of a minimally informed remote reader. The issue the OP addresses is a real one. Whether the magnitude of the negative impact to the decorum of this board gets to be significant enough to drive a total ban is a question for the future. For now, we will continue to "watch with interest" and manage the issue on a case by case basis.

So carry on. I'm going for another box of popcorn.

Reaction Score
One of our rules is that we request discussion about board rules or our implementation of them be taken to PM. However, the OP was crafted in such a way as to proffer the subject for discussion with a clear understanding that it was to stimulate a discussion of a tricky topic and not a challenge to the operating rules.

I’m glad. That was the intent.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Well, if you seriously interpret it that way you are mistaken. It was more intended to show that I was watching the discussion with "interest".

As such I let it go and for the most part the discussion has been interesting and revealing.

Tweets by very young ladies can be provocative, either due to it's author's intent or due to the incorrect or extrapolated interpretation of a minimally informed remote reader. The issue the OP addresses is a real one. Whether the magnitude of the negative impact to the decorum of this board gets to be significant enough to drive a total ban is a question for the future. For now, we will continue to "watch with interest" and manage the issue on a case by case basis.

I absolutely did interpret it that way, the great big grin on the ushers face made me think he was laughing at a comedy.

My apologies. This has been a bad couple of weeks for me misunderstanding, misinterpreting posts.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Well put. Thank you.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My 2 cents: Social media is a very public form of communication, hence “media.” A player’s public Twitter account is a place where that player says stuff they intend for the whole world to have access to. I don’t have a Twitter account, so I don’t follow anybody, but it’s very easy to access anyone’s Twitter account on a view-only basis. I do this occasionally if thre’s something I’m looking for. I don’t see anything wrong or voyaristic about following a player on Twitter. They WANT you to do this - they want more follows. It’s all very public. Not at all like spying on somebody’s private business.
why dont you have a Twitter account? Is it a bit too much "internet chatter" etc.? And this is why I say stuff shouldnt come from other platforms, want to know whats going on "follow" them on those other platforms to get the info first hand

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom