Should the BY ban player tweets? | The Boneyard

Should the BY ban player tweets?

Reaction Score
To be clear, the BY is NOT a democracy. We have benevolent dictators (the Mods) who set all rules. And im Not challenging that authority.

Still I’m curious for opinions on this.

UConn players can’t tweet during the season anyway so this doesn’t really apply to them. Still I find myself uncomfortable see posts featuring tweets from other players or recruits. Since almost every time the reason is related to some controversy — eg, did everyone see what X said about Y?

Even among the savvy kids of today, I’m not sure they fully appreciate how many strangers will read their tweets or try to interpret them.

It all just has a creepy voyeuristic sense to me , and I’m Gen-X !

Just my 1.4 cents.

Reaction Score
To be clear, the BY is NOT a democracy. We have benevolent dictators (the Mods) who set all rules. And im Not challenging that authority.

UConn players can’t tweet during the season anyway so this doesn’t really apply to them. Still I find myself uncomfortable see posts featuring tweets from other players or recruits. Since almost every time the reason is related to some controversy — eg, did everyone see what X said about Y?

Even among the savvy kids of today, I’m not sure they fully appreciate how many strangers will read their tweets or try to interpret them.

Just my 1.4 cents.
Are you saying ALL player from any team or Uconn specific because UC kids can't tweet during the season and have no or few restrictions otherwise , The posting about Megan's pre acceptance got out of hand. These are kids and don't need our visions of what they should or should not to do. If their tweets can be moderated to protect the kids-go for it. If you can't --don't post them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Just my 1.4 cents.
No I don't think we should ban player tweets because that would be like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Most player tweet contain some useful or new information directly from the source. The inappropriate ones hardly ever go unchecked here on the BY.

Reaction Score
Are you saying ALL player from any team or Uconn specific because UC kids can't tweet .

Uhhhhhh ....

UConn players can’t tweet during the season anyway so this doesn’t really apply to them. Still I find myself uncomfortable see posts featuring tweets from other players or recruits.

Reaction Score
I don't know that banning kids' tweets will stop BYers from expressing their "visions of what they should and should not do." Ultimately, I really don't care one way or the other, but I admit the idea of following the sayings of a teen is kinda creepy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why not censor them out. Just help us get ready for what is and will ever increasingly be. No, seriously, there are many ways one comes upon prospects tweets, including, for example The W(ESPN) in an article there as well as in news articles and other fan boards. The censorship here is enough already. Can't even say Dick Cavett and get away with it! :eek::D

Reaction Score

Just my 1.4 cents.

Can you cite an example of such a tweet from a player that bothers you? I can't think of an example off the top of my head....

We shouldn't flatter ourselves......I find it difficult to believe that 16-18 year old possible UConn recruits are particularly interested or concerned about our visions of what they should do and not do..
Why any middle aged person or senior citizen would want to follow a kid that is not related to them is beyond me..... but to each his/her own.

Following them is a bit much.............checking what's going on via twitter from time to time is one of the most accurate ways to find out where/who/when/how they are playing and that's where some of the best player videos can be found.............if you'd like I'll stop including anything I find about Duke recruits if it will make you feel better......................:rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Uhhhhhh ....

UConn players can’t tweet during the season anyway so this doesn’t really apply to them. Still I find myself uncomfortable see posts featuring tweets from other players or recruits.

Too bad. Don't read them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Following them is a bit much...checking what's going on via twitter from time to time is one of the most accurate ways to find out where/who/when/how they are playing and that's where some of the best player videos can be found...if you'd like I'll stop including anything I find about Duke recruits if it will make you feel better.......:rolleyes:

Meh..... between the NFL, College Football, High School football, the MLB Post-Season, the beginning of the NBA, NHL, and college basketball season....... I have enough to occupy myself until signing day... thats only about 6 weeks from now I think. Hopefully the recruits will enjoy their visits to Durham.... I'll find out in the middle of November if they will be donning the Blue and White next season.

Reaction Score
Why any middle aged person or senior citizen would want to follow a kid that is not related to them is beyond me..... but to each his/her own.

Not all UConn fans are middle aged or senior citizens either. I, for example, am a lot closer to being college aged than I am middle aged!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not all UConn fans are middle aged or senior citizens either. I, for example, am a lot closer to being college aged than I am middle aged!

well go for it then

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Just my 1.4 cents.
I think its cool if they keep the conversation on that platform... read and reply on Twitter, bringing it to another platform is wack, if a poster wants to know they should join Twitter or Instagram etc.

Reaction Score
Censorship is a slippery slope.

Oh please.
This board already has a bunch of restrictions. Are those censorship?
- no transfer speculation
- no junk from other boards
- no personal criticisms of players

Also things like which hotel they are in are usually deleted.

Folks are welcome to read other boards. But they can't bring over controversies. Shouldn't tweets get the same treatment?

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know that banning kids' tweets will stop BYers from expressing their "visions of what they should and should not do." Ultimately, I really don't care one way or the other, but I admit the idea of following the sayings of a teen is kinda creepy.

Good for you @tomcat. Confession is good for the soul and the first step to reform. ;):)

Reaction Score
I don't remember AEH saying anything too awful...........what did she say that bothered you other then she was happy to be there and should have gone there from the beginning?

I don't think it's that big an issue..............if there was weekly taunting or disparaging player to player that would be different.................something that does take place with far greater frequency is when some here disparage players, ours and the opponents during and after games..........we all have to remember that these are still young people not the finished professional product...................that's why I usually take aim at Geno..............he's getting paid millions and he could care less about criticism from us........

Reaction Score
I don't remember AEH saying anything too awful......what did she say that bothered you other then she was happy to be there and should have gone there from the beginning?

I don't think it's that big an issue....if there was weekly taunting or disparaging player to player that would be different.......something that does take place with far greater frequency is when some here disparage players, ours and the opponents during and after games.....we all have to remember that these are still young people not the finished professional product....that's why I usually take aim at Geno....he's getting paid millions and he could care less about criticism from us...
Click on the thread in my post.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't remember AEH saying anything too awful......what did she say that bothered you other then she was happy to be there and should have gone there from the beginning?

I don't think it's that big an issue....if there was weekly taunting or disparaging player to player that would be different.......something that does take place with far greater frequency is when some here disparage players, ours and the opponents during and after games.....we all have to remember that these are still young people not the finished professional product....that's why I usually take aim at Geno....he's getting paid millions and he could care less about criticism from us...

I think AEH has handled herself well and the tweet is basically cute imho. If she wanted to be vindictive, she could have gotten in Aubrey Griffin's ear and made it much more difficult to recruit her.

Reaction Score

You are missing the point.
I don’t care what any player tweeted.

I do object to having tweets of 18 year olds brought on to this site as issues worthy of dissection.

Creepy, invasive, viyeuristic, etc

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
No I don't think we should ban player tweets because that would be like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Most player tweet contain some useful or new information directly from the source. The inappropriate ones hardly ever go unchecked here on the BY.

Vowelguy: Thanks for raising the issue.
Over a cup or two of coffee, I'm tending to take a similar view as Coco on this, based on my experiences both here and at the Bench.
- In most instances, posters are using players' tweets as background information (for hints/confirmations about recruiting) or reactions to games/tryouts/life events.
- The ones that pop up on boards and/or are directly linked are usually pretty relevant to the subject at hand, not the other way around. And the ones that are inappropriate are scrubbed pretty quickly.
- We're all fans of WBB/WCBB and tweets are ways that the players and young coaches communicate, along with all kinds of other social media. I tend to submit posts that often need research...and a lot of times that ends up resulting in looking at various forms of social media.
- I get your point about some of the uncomfortable aspects of it. Heck, I get the hee-bee-gee-bees looking at comments under articles, let alone a twitter account. But -- for what and whom I'm after -- I find a lot of the posts interesting and informative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are missing the point.
I don’t care what any player tweeted.

I do object to having tweets of 18 year olds brought on to this site as issues worthy of dissection.

Creepy, invasive, viyeuristic, etc

you do know that Aubrey Griffin's UConn announcement that you read was taken from her twitter page right?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I see absolutely zero wrong with it. Go check out any men's college basketball board. Tweets galore. Women want to, and should, be treated equally (yep - I'm advocating equal treatment). Kids these days are all over social media. Whether it's twitter, instagram, faceook, whatever. They constantly post, tweet, and by all accounts, seem to LOVE the attention from likes, followers, etc. Many see themselves as a kind of celebrity, and in a way they are based on their hoops gifts and sheer volume of followers, etc. that they have.

We live in a social media world. The reason the coaches take it away from the players during the season is to keep them focused and avoid distractions (my opinion, not a fact - maybe there are other reasons). It's how kids of today communicate, post information, etc.

It's not like we are discussing anything inappropriate about them, but rather the tweet as it relates to UCONN WBB. I would say this to any person who doesn't like (or isn't interested in) the thread - simply ignore it. There are several types of threads I ignore - mostly OT ones, but if players, parents, coaches, friends, or anyone puts social media posts/tweets about themselves/kids/friends as it relates to UCONN, then I think it's fair game.

The minute it turns into inappropriate comments/criticisms, the mods shut it down. We've all seen that before. I fully get that some may agree, and some may disagree with me. It's doubtful anyone will have their mind changed by what they read in the thread. Not looking to argue or be disagreeable with anyone, but really, what's the big deal anyway?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom