Should Christyn Come Off the Bench? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Christyn Come Off the Bench?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That does not seem to be hindering Walker, Dangerfield, or Collier. Their legs seem to be holding up just fine. Also, I agree with what oldude said about it.
That would be a false statement. Both Crystal and Napheesa are shooting the basketball worst that they did a year ago especially from deep. Megan Walker is the only improved shooter among the starting 5 probably attributed to the time she spent in the weight room with Barbara Turner this off season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe Christyn is 18 and Lou is 21. They are both superbly conditioned athletes. Furthermore, they just started the 2nd semester, so other than practice and games, they’ve had a month to basically sit around and do nothing. No classes. No late night study sessions, and with the student body basically home for break, not even any college parties to attend. I have a difficult time buying into the argument that fatigue accumulated over half a college season is the culprit here.
So you think Christyn is not being truthful, because this is her theory. They are superbly conditioned athletes, not machines.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That would be a false statement. Both Crystal and Napheesa are shooting the basketball worst that they did a year ago especially from deep. Megan Walker is the only improved shooter among the starting 5 probably attributed to the time she spent in the weight room with Barbara Turner this off season.
Could it also be that Gabby & Kia were exceptionally good at finding the open shooters and delivering passes on time in the perfect spot for players to simply catch and shoot the ball?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The last few games Napheesa and Dangerfield are shooting the ball better. Collier has never been a very accurate long range shooter. Even if it has been for only two games, they are shooting more accurately and has played the same number of games. That cannot be said for KLS and Williams. Maybe for Williams but KLS should be used to it by now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So you think Christyn is not being truthful, because this is her theory. They are superbly conditioned athletes, not machines.
I think freshman year at college is a difficult transition for everyone, let alone a championship athlete. IMO, it’s more a mental fatigue than a physical fatigue.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That does not seem to be hindering Walker, Dangerfield, or Collier. Their legs seem to be holding up just fine. Also, I agree with what oldude said about it.
Considering that Lou had major reconstructive surgery on her left ankle, could not do ANY running until late October and is now asked to do more than she ever had to do due to the loss of Gabby and Kia, I can understand why she is having some troubles. Also take into consideration every team that they play is always trying to take her out of the game, to include almost fouling her every time she is running through the middle of the lane by multiple bumps by the other teams players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Could it also be that Gabby & Kia were exceptionally good at finding the open shooters and delivering passes on time in the perfect spot for players to simply catch and shoot the ball?
Sure. It could also be that the defensive effort that Kia and Gabby were putting in last years as consecutive NDPOYs also has to come from somewhere.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The last few games Napheesa and Dangerfield are shooting the ball better. Collier has never been a very accurate long range shooter. Even if it has been for only two games, they are shooting more accurately and has played the same number of games. That cannot be said for KLS and Williams. Maybe for Williams but KLS should be used to it by now.
Once again I'm talking about the accumulation over a season. The team shooting numbers are down for 4 of the starters and a few bench players. We are 19 games into the season I can pick any two game stretch (as you did) that bucks the downward trend.

Reaction Score
No! The player that needs to be develop by tournament time is ONO specifically as a rebounding shot blocking presence. Kyla is a solid hard working player who in her first three years at UCONN has blocked a total of 1 shot. ONO on the other hand is almost averaging 1 block per game.

I'm not sure what the NO is for. I agree the one Geno needs in the NCAA's is a big to defend and hopefully score. I don't think this is and/or situation. I doubt you can deny that the power punch of scoring from CW when she in hitting on all cylinders won't be needed too.
From my less than vantaged advantage ONO appear to be coming along--I do however she is pick up some ticky tack or even anticipated fouls--that usually changes in the NCAA (better ref's??)

Reaction Score
I certainly agree that Liv also needs to be developed as well. The first thing she needs to learn, just like Z, is to stop swinging down when blocking shots. There was one foul she committed yesterday that really bothered me. The UCF post caught the ball in the blocks and spun into the lane to shoot. Liv’s defensive position and footwork were perfect. She was set up for an easy block. She got the ball but also incurred a foul by swinging down, sending the UCF player to the line

But getting back to my OP, while Liv is important, Christyn has the ability to carry the team to a championship when she plays as she did at ND. At the beginning of the season, Christyn’s greatest advantage was her confidence, and right now it’s just not there.

I may have been overboard in my announcing CW was the new DT, at this point that is true I too soon stated my case for her talent. I accept any critical comment on those comments. However, I stand by my belief that CW will be a superstar before she departs Uconn.
Case in point is STEWIE as a frosh-had 8 great games --then folded her tent and waited until March to become STEWIE.
If anyone of us has a fix for ONO or CW Geno should give us his main phone line--Obviously, this is all speculation, expectations, FUN and hopes--as fans do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sure. It could also be that the defensive effort that Kia and Gabby were putting in last years as consecutive NDPOYs also has to come from somewhere.
So if Lou and/or Christyn light it up this Thursday at Louisville, how are we going to explain it?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Considering that Lou had major reconstructive surgery on her left ankle, could not do ANY running until late October and is now asked to do more than she ever had to do due to the loss of Gabby and Kia, I can understand why she is having some troubles. Also take into consideration every team that they play is always trying to take her out of the game, to include almost fouling her every time she is running through the middle of the lane by multiple bumps by the other teams players.
Other players were asked to do some of the things KLS is doing their entire career and they did just fine. Also, she has missed a number of wide open shots. IMO, KLS will find her accuracy because she has the drive and ability to do so. I also believe Williams will eventually find her shot. I'd rather their struggles come now than during NCAA Tournament time. UConn has yet to peak and I believe that is a good thing.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Going back to Stewie's example. Geno didn't sit Stewie down as a freshman because she was playing badly. He sat her down because she wasn't playing up to her potential, which was to be GREAT. During the period of time when Stewie came off the bench, she had some of her very best games: playing as little as 20-25 minutes, going for 20+ pts, shooting better than 70%+, hauling in rebounds by the bushel and blocking a bunch of shots. It got her back into the starting lineup, and then to an entirely different level when a UConn team with 4 losses won a national championship with Stewie earning her 1st of 4 straight MOP's.

Christyn has that same potential. Everyone reacts differently to being benched. Geno is a master motivator and will certainly do what's best for the team and Christyn in the long run. But sometimes it helps to watch the game closely from the bench at the start, getting the big picture on what impact you can have once you get on the floor. I don't expect Christyn to be John Havlicek...….Then again, maybe I do.

I thought that Stewart sat as an attitude adjustment. She was not playing the way Auriemma wanted her to play so she sat. I seem to remember an interview with Stewart around the time of her benching where she said something like "I already know how to play basketball."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought that Stewart sat as an attitude adjustment. She was not playing the way Auriemma wanted her to play so she sat. I seem to remember an interview with Stewart around the time of her benching where she said something like "I already know how to play basketball."
I believe we’re saying basically the same thing. Geno felt Stewie wasn’t playing up to her potential. When he had her coming off the bench she began to play much better. Clearly, Stewie’s “attitude” changed once Geno pulled her out of the starting lineup.

In Christyn’s case, I think it’s more a case of pressure she’s putting on herself and a resulting loss of confidence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So if Lou and/or Christyn light it up this Thursday at Louisville, how are we going to explain it?

Once again I'm talking about the accumulation over a season. The team shooting numbers are down for 4 of the starters and a few bench players. We are 19 games into the season I can pick any two one game (as you did) that bucks the downward trend.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think freshman year at college is a difficult transition for everyone, let alone a championship athlete. IMO, it’s more a mental fatigue than a physical fatigue.
1. I am happy the village has not come to your house with torches and pitchforks given the title and knee jerk reaction around here.
2. I would go further that given all the knowledge that the UConn Freshman have to absorb to compete with the seasoned players on conditioning, media relations, offensive flow, always move to create space, playing without the ball, practice intensity, DEFENSE INTENSITY, school AND GENO ‘s comments to them and in the press, boy is that a hard curve to master!

All that said, keep her in the starting 5, have Liv as 1st off the bench to continue her development for this year and next!

Reaction Score
Irwin will NEVER see a minute of important play in the Louisville game. Let’s get real people. CW won the Notre Dame game. She’s been playing a huge amount of minutes and hit a wall like all of our former all Americans. She’ll be fine. She’s a winner. Give the kid a break and stop trying to put bench sitters in front of her. Not going to happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I understand your conclusion, while there may be an outlier or two, there is no reversing this downward overall shooting trend this season. Under those circumstances, it’s very likely that the Huskies will be derailed at some point in pursuit of another championship.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I understand your conclusion, while there may be an outlier or two, there is no reversing this downward overall shooting trend this season. Under those circumstances, it’s very likely that the Huskies will be derailed at some point in pursuit of another championship.
No.... that's not logical. If things go according to plan UCONN will end up playing in 38 games this season. UCONN is 19 games into the season aka the half way mark. Any trend (+ or -) established in the first half the season can be reversed because you have an equal number of games remaining to games completed. Be careful you don't rob Peter to pay Paul however. This year the team is scoring about 5 PPG less off turnovers. This creates a dilemma-does the team push up and create more turnovers which will give you a higher shooting percentage and easier basket or do you commit more players to defense half court to rebound the ball. It's never an easy choice but Geno knows his team much better than we do.

Reaction Score
No.... that's not logical. If things go according to plan UCONN will end up playing in 38 games this season. UCONN is 19 games into the season aka the half way mark. Any trend (+ or -) established in the first half the season can be reversed because you have an equal number of games remaining to games completed. Be careful you don't rob Peter to pay Paul however. This year the team is scoring about 5 PPG less off turnovers. This creates a dilemma-does the team push up and create more turnovers which will give you a higher shooting percentage and easier basket or do you commit more players to defense half court to rebound the ball. It's never an easy choice but Geno knows his team much better than we do.
Ugh, did you watch the game Sunday? It’s obvious that we need to at least make the game be played over three quarter court. We gave up a couple of layups Sunday. It’s a given. Have to live with it. One more factor you didn’t mention is that the tempo of the game is quicker, which will always favor UConn. The game speeds up for kids that aren’t used to it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ugh, did you watch the game Sunday? It’s obvious that we need to at least make the game be played over three quarter court. We gave up a couple of layups Sunday. It’s a given. Have to live with it. One more factor you didn’t mention is that the tempo of the game is quicker, which will always favor UConn. The game speeds up for kids that aren’t used to it.
I watch every game very closely. I'm sure we didn't see the same thing. What I saw was a UCF team without an adequate ball handler to handle the UCONN traps. In short if those traps were a rehearsal for Louisville on Thursday night they will need to get much much tighter because Louisville has three such ball handlers in the starting lineup. I also saw a UCONN team that was unconscious shooting the basketball for the first two quarters. Shooting like that tends to make everything look better than it actually was.

Reaction Score
This is so important it definitely needs repeating. We have two players (KLS and Christyn Williams) that are struggling with their shot. You don't have to look very far for an explanation. CW is struggling because of the demands of playing UCONN style defense. The explanation for KLS is pretty much the same. KLS is averaging 7.2 RPG- More than 3 RPG above her career average of 3.9. There is a price to be paid for playing UCONN style defense and rebounding, that price often shows up the legs first.
They have to play a more aggressive defense.

And you know damn well if you’re going to trade 3’s for 2’s with Baylor...and not rebound with anybody , you have to generate easy buckets, and shut down entry passes on the other end.

Tired legs ??? For a senior POY candidate, and a 19 yo #1 —- who are supposedly going 90 mins in a Geno practice harder ?

Lou might be hurt ???? Maybe. More likely in her head.

CW’s appears to be confused more than anything, she passed up a wide open 3 to make a pass for a less desirable position Sunday. She’s thinking instead of playing.

They both just need to keep shooting.

They’re both great shooters, they’ll eventually do what great shooters do.

The offense looks for the uncontested 3. Play the good high energy D, generate some turnover pts. Let Pheesa do her thing, Megan’s for real and let Crystal take over the team.

Tired legs —in an offense that wants to always run — if it is tired legs then shame on them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe we’re saying basically the same thing. Geno felt Stewie wasn’t playing up to her potential. When he had her coming off the bench she began to play much better. Clearly, Stewie’s “attitude” changed once Geno pulled her out of the starting lineup.

In Christyn’s case, I think it’s more a case of pressure she’s putting on herself and a resulting loss of confidence.
I think this kid has confidence in spades.

She’s heads up looking him straight in the eye when he pulls her to talk to her on the sidelines.

I think this kid just KNOWS she’s good enough to work through anything....and she’s only been playing for half a season.

Reaction Score
It was fun to watch the return of the real UConn WBB team yesterday. You know, the UConn team that faces the 2nd best team in the conference, the one from FL, and runs them out of the gym. OK, it’s Central not South FL. But by the time Kyla hit that step back 3-pt shot in the 1st half, it was basically game over. Four of five starters played exceptionally well, and the Huskies got decent contributions from several reserves.

As UConn pulled away from UCF, I spent a lot of time focusing on the 5th starter. There is no doubt in my mind that Christyn is a tremendous talent and she is working very hard, but she has clearly lost some confidence in the past few weeks. Her shot is not falling. She’s turning the ball over, and she’s committing mistakes on defense. That would be par for the course for many UConn freshmen. But it’s difficult to reconcile with the freshman superstar who took over the game on the road in South Bend against the #1 team in the nation.

I have begun to wonder if the ND game didn’t do more harm than good to Christyn, perhaps by creating an impossible level of expectation by her for her own performance. I’ve also begun to wonder if it wouldn’t be better for Christyn, as well as the team, to take some pressure off by letting her come off the bench for a time, until she regains her confidence.

At this point, starting Kyla, who appears to fit in best with the other 4 starters, and letting Christyn come off the bench as the 6th man might just work wonders. I would expect that Christyn would get no less PT then she’s currently getting, but it would be coming off the bench, with a lot less pressure on her young shoulders. Before everyone trashes my absurd suggestion, please remember that is exactly what Geno did with Stewie her freshman year, and we all remember what Stewie did once she got to the Big Dance that year.

After reading your post....thank the Lord that Geno is the Coach.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And she must surely be closing in on the all-time record for most times hit in the face in a career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom