Should Calhoun start at shooting guard...... | The Boneyard

Should Calhoun start at shooting guard......

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
If he can hit a few threes and cut down on boneheaded play.... Something appears wrong in the Ferrari's
internal computer. Check out the stat sheet for 38 minutes.
One thing is certain, any team that doesn't double down on Boat the moment he crosses half court....

Reaction Score
Couldn't hurt.....there isn't anything that RP is doing to help the team that Omar can't do. I liked what I saw from OC today and was surprised that he wasn't on the floor during crunch time. He certainly did more with his 18 minutes than RP did with 35.

Reaction Score
omar passed eye tests vs templar knightowls

he looked fluid, looked like hoopster, looked composed when he surveyfloor on offense for seams to attack, matchups to exploit, shots to be had minus the panek look other dudes have on visage and which is apparent in their responses

omar is tall enuf to survey the moonscape which is nown as hungrystarvingdestituteoffensivebig0 3.14159265+

this facsimile of club should consider using zones at various junctures during liveaction to preserve few precious parts possessed for offensive tasks (omar,dannydehambone, kenihop,amoeba {summing canoe in drydock dr denizen)

3amigoze of [jr tsam purv} need thdumbtact to bench-they move mechanically stiff unlike reel hoopsters & wit no instinct for gamefame and must think before even locating a handoff bale out, godforbid they do something where they are moving and have to deal wit additional moving parts; ollie sure no how to pic em not too mention godforbid they gots to shoot the out of it

C

Chief00

I don't think we have a choice but to give him major minutes. Quite frankly, unlike many fans I am not obsessed with who starts - it's really more about minutes.

Reaction Score
Even before OC got bloodied I was wondering why he wasn't playing more. Funny how the tone about him has changed to now he might be our savior. I would probably have DH as the 2nd ball handler if OC starts. It's worth a try. Anyway you look at it this team has some talent but is seriously flawed. It's not like they aren't trying. Let's just root hard for our boys and hope we can put together a run during the AAC tourney. It's going to be a frustrating year with some surprising (or not so surprising) loses.

Reaction Score
His minutes are going to come as soon as he guards his guy. DeCosey went by him like he was standing still twice and Ollie hates that. Sam Jr in the same boat, need to be able to guard. I mean if you're slower leave some space and be ready to move either way. He got beat to the baseline once where there is no help and the guy got a free lay up, defense 101. The other time Nolan picked him up with a charge but he was left standing. I know he played tough, made a 3, rumbled for rebounds, that's all good. But at UConn you guard or you lose time.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
He's probably still slightly out of shape due to injury.

Reaction Score
He's probably still slightly out of shape due to injury.

Actually I'm impressed with how fast he looks and a bit more athletic. He's not a good perimeter defender, never was but needs to just be smarter like all of them do. Hey the kid is playing his butt off when he gets out there that is very obvious and for that fact alone he deserves time no doubt.

Reaction Score
Rodney put up a lot of points the last few games, and shot really well. I have no idea what Omar did that made you think he could do the same.

Reaction Score
His minutes are going to come as soon as he guards his guy. DeCosey went by him like he was standing still twice and Ollie hates that. Sam Jr in the same boat, need to be able to guard. I mean if you're slower leave some space and be ready to move either way. He got beat to the baseline once where there is no help and the guy got a free lay up, defense 101. The other time Nolan picked him up with a charge but he was left standing. I know he played tough, made a 3, rumbled for rebounds, that's all good. But at UConn you guard or you lose time.

With this team, some zone may be needed, though I would worry about our perimeter D.

Reaction Score
Rodney put up a lot of points the last few games, and shot really well. I have no idea what Omar did that made you think he could do the same.

In defense of the question and I like Rodney's potential too, Omar had 7 points, 3 boards and 2 assists in very limited time yesterday. The fact he is involved on the boards and Rodney has not been can easily defend this potential replacement in the starting line up. Rodney needs to get more involved, more aggressive, finish those mid range shots. I am by no means counting out Purvis, we need him to be more. But Omar has played very hard and wants to play, give him credit where credit is due!

Reaction Score
With this team, some zone may be needed, though I would worry about our perimeter D.

If Boat is out for a couple weeks or so you may see more zone if for no other reason than to keep people in the game. Like the idea but the problem could be it takes away from our strength going into every game. But mixing some in on occasion is a very good idea (especially on in bounds plays :eek:).

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Yesterday We needed RP to continue to establish himself as our second guard and also have Omar progress . Instead we got Omar stepping up, RP stepping back and a heavy dose of WTF. This is looking like the classic Uconn developmental season that falls in between good seasons and championships .That's just the way it is for us. I'm used to it and true fans should know this pattern.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The question is moot. With Boat likely out for the next couple games there are going to be more than enough minutes and opportunities for the rest of our guards to show what they have--and what they don't--at each guard position.

I expect that a lot of it won't be pretty, but this is no surprise for anyone who has been watching, as we don't have another reliable ball handler as yet.

Reaction Score
The question is moot. With Boat likely out for the next couple games there are going to be more than enough minutes and opportunities for the rest of our guards to show what they have--and what they don't--at each guard position.

I expect that a lot of it won't be pretty, but this is no surprise for anyone who has been watching, as we don't have another reliable ball handler as yet.

Florida will press us to death and with no solid ball handlers, and no very good passers available how are we thinking that will work out?:eek:

Reaction Score
I vote for a lot more Omar and a lot less Cassell

The only problem here is Sam Jr isn't playing much anyway, but he can handle the ball a little which is something Omar does not do well. Again, the limitations of our players are glaring when you lose a key component who did have it all. No one else does!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Florida will press us to death and with no solid ball handlers, and no very good passers available how are we thinking that will work out?:eek:
I think it will be "a learning experience."

In all seriousness, I'm not expecting it to be pretty, but what else is new for us? I've come to enjoy these ebbs because, time and again, I'm reminded of how much I don't know. After all the highs and lows we've experienced, now I just like watching, learning and riding it out until the next "flow."

Times like these help separate the wheat from the chaff, for both players and fans alike.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Anyone notice how KO looks like he aged a little this season. Lol
He has! He's aged about 9 months since the National Championship game.

Reaction Score
The only problem here is Sam Jr isn't playing much anyway, but he can handle the ball a little which is something Omar does not do well. Again, the limitations of our players are glaring when you lose a key component who did have it all. No one else does!

I agree Sam 2 has more handle, but I think Omar is playing with a lot more toughness and is a more versatile scorer. But like you said, there is give and take with all our players, so it's open for debate. I just think Sam is more of a one trick pony while Omar has been doing a lot more of the little things. If you're strength is shooting you sure as hell need be better than 21% from 3 and 27% from the field if you want to play around here.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I dot really want to take away from Purvis. It's hard being efficient when you're the only person on the floor creating your own shot.

Hamilton racked up boards, but aside from that was awful yesterday. He threw away several passes, shot the ball horribly, and of course we saw him in the closing seconds. He's a freshman.

I'm glad Calhoun is looking productive, but this team needs someone to find their 3 point stroke or they'll fail to stretch the defense.

Reaction Score
I agree Sam 2 has more handle, but I think Omar is playing with a lot more toughness and is a more versatile scorer. But like you said, there is give and take with all our players, so it's open for debate. I just think Sam is more of a one trick pony while Omar has been doing a lot more of the little things. If you're strength is shooting you sure as hell need be better than 21% from 3 and 27% from the field if you want to play around here.

Agree but against Florida we will have trouble even getting it to Omar on the other end without handling and passing. As you said nyc, give and take - 6 or one half dozen of the other! It will be a learning thrashing, er uh experience I mean. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom