Should be a good game - won't be surprised if UCONN wins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should be a good game - won't be surprised if UCONN wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We do give trophy points here for being a . Here's 590 for you.
What have I said that has ruffled your fur so badly? Simply pointing out that talent doesn't always equal wins.

I'm going to go with "I know you are but what am I."

Reaction Score
What have I said that has ruffled your fur so badly? Simply pointing out that talent doesn't always equal wins.

I'm going to go with "I know you are but what am I."

Self awareness is not one of your stronger attributes. If I went to your board and said something similar to the following, I wouldn't expect to be treated too nicely. Of course I wouldn't do this on your board, because it's just douchey:

"Man, you guys love the fact that you have 20 people in the NFL. Do they give trophies for that? Nobody cares how many people you have put in the NFL in the past. I think this is just the one bright spot you have to cling to in your recent history of football. Do you tuck yourselves in at night saying "BYU is way older and faster and stronger and wiser and emotionally sound, because they're all return missionaries...but we have 20 guys in the NFL so we should win this game."

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I've gotten a little defensive and don't mean to pick fights. Funny thing is, I actually suspect this game to be very close and would not bet a dime on BYU winning. I've just gotten really annoyed as I've been reading all of these threads and keep coming across people claiming that BYU has some kind of an advantage because the players are older and that UConn has the edge because they have 20 people in the NFL. Both of which I think are stupid points. Regardless of all of this, I am excited for this game and suspect it to be a good one.

Reaction Score
Self awareness is not one of your stronger attributes. If I went to your board and said something similar to the following, I wouldn't expect to be treated too nicely. Of course I wouldn't do this on your board, because it's just douchey:

"Man, you guys love the fact that you have 20 people in the NFL. Do they give trophies for that? Nobody cares how many people you have put in the NFL in the past. I think this is just the one bright spot you have to cling to in your recent history of football. Do you tuck yourselves in at night saying "BYU is way older and faster and stronger and wiser and emotionally sound, because they're all return missionaries...but we have 20 guys in the NFL so we should win this game."

Yeah, that was a little too edgy. I was just trying to demonstrate my point.

Reaction Score
Let's just play the game. It's entirely possible that we just flat out have more talent than you. Even with your 6 starters. I mean we have consistently sent more kids to the NFL than BYU has.

Maybe, but, 3-9, 5-7, and 6-6 over the last three seasons would lead one to believe otherwise.

Based on my own analysis of recent (2010 to 2014) recruiting classes, BYU's football recruits have an average star rating of 2.89, while UConn has an average star rating of 2.36. As near as I can tell, BYU currently has 11 4* (or higher) rated recruits on its roster, while UConn has none. I think, overall, BYU has a higher caliber of athlete in its two-deep than UConn does.

Ultimately, this sort of analysis is useless, though. At the end of the day the team that plays the best on Friday will likely win, but, I hate statements like you just made. There's very little basis for it.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but, 3-9, 5-7, and 6-6 over the last three seasons would lead one to believe otherwise.

Based on my own analysis of recent (2010 to 2014) recruiting classes, BYU's football recruits have an average star rating of 2.89, while UConn has an average star rating of 2.36. As near as I can tell, BYU currently has 11 4* (or higher) rated recruits on its roster, while UConn has none. I think, overall, BYU has a higher caliber of athlete in its two-deep than UConn does.

Ultimately, this sort of analysis is useless, though. At the end of the day the team that plays the best on Friday will likely win, but, I hate statements like you just made. There's very little basis for it.

If you ever mention stars again, on this site, I will send HFD to your home and he will throat punch you. :rolleyes:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Stars schmars -

You give the analysis and then say it's useless.
All that great recruiting and 4 star talent yet they struggle to find a place at the next level - any analysis on that?
Lack of coaching? Poor regiments?? Not committed?? Lack of desire??

Reaction Score
Stars schmars -
You give the analysis and then say it's useless.

Take it for what it's worth (not a lot).

All that great recruiting and 4 star talent yet they struggle to find a place at the next level - any analysis on that?

Two words...religious affiliation.

We're the weird Mormon school, with the prohibitive honor code, owned by the socially conservative church that threw millions of dollars of resources into the passage of Prop 8 in California at precisely the same time that socially liberal presidents of PAC10 schools in California started making their short lists of possible candidates for conference expansion.

BYU is also limited by church leadership and BYU's Board of Trustees who aren't necessarily "football guys". I believe BYU blew an opportunity to join the BIG12 in 2011.

I should state that while BYU lands its share of blue chip, nationally ranked Mormon recruits, we aren't consistently pulling in USC and Oregon type recruits (though, we did go head to head with USC, Oregon and Stanford and won Nick Kurtz, Devon Blackmon, and Uriah Leiataua this year). We recruit much better than a quirky church school located in the middle of the Rocky Mountain states has any business recruiting, but, I'm not asserting that we're a recruiting powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination.

Lack of coaching? Poor regiments?? Not committed?? Lack of desire??

I don't think it's any of the above. If you look at BYU's seasons going back to 2006, we are 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, 7-6, 10-3, 8-5, and 8-5. We haven't had a breakout (undefeated or one loss) season for a few years, but we've won way more than our share of games since the turn of the century. I think, to a degree, BYU is the weird kid that others don't necessarily want to invite into their club. BYU has been consistently good since the late 1970's. I don't know what more, beyond another undefeated season, BYU has to do to gain entry into the club.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Take it for what it's worth (not a lot). I really only did the analysis and shared it to support the consensus is that BYU currently has significantly more talent in its two deep than UConn does.

Two words...religious affiliation.

We're the weird Mormon school, with the prohibitive honor code, owned by the socially conservative church that threw millions of dollars of resources into the passage of Prop 8 in California at the precisely the same time that socially liberal presidents of PAC10 schools in California started making their short lists of possible candidates for conference expansion.

BYU is also limited by church leadership and BYU's Board of Trustees who aren't necessarily "football guys". I believe BYU blew an opportunity to join the BIG12 in 2011.

I should state that while BYU lands its share of blue chip, nationally ranked Mormon recruits, we aren't consistently pulling in USC and Oregon type recruits (though, we did go head to head with USC, Oregon and Stanford and won Nick Kurtz, Devon Blackmon, and Uriah Leiataua this year). We recruit much better than a quirky church school located in the middle of the Rocky Mountain states has any business recruiting, but, I'm not asserting that we're a recruiting powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think it's any of the above. If you look at BYU's seasons going back to 2006, we are 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, 7-6, 10-3, 8-5, and 8-5. We haven't had a breakout (undefeated or one loss) season for a few years, but we've won way more than our share of games since the turn of the century. I think, once again, BYU is the weird kid that others don't necessarily want to invite into their club. BYU has been consistently good since the late 1970's. I don't know what more, beyond another undefeated season, BYU has to do to gain entry into the club.

You don't know UConn - with that analysis every team we have ever played since entering DI has had more talent than us - look it up!!

Stars Schmars - look forward to your Saturday am analysis.

Reaction Score
You don't know UConn - with that analysis every team we have ever played since entering DI has had more talent than us - look it up!!

I believe it. As I've stated before, I wouldn't be surprised if UConn wins tomorrow.

Stars Schmars - look forward to your Saturday am analysis.

Indeed!

I'm just glad we're not playing your basketball teams. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You can tell its close to game time - getting chippy!!
Nah, for the most part our BYU visitors have been reasonable guys with interesting things to say. It's toward the end of week and the 12 year olds have realized that there's a game coming up.

Regardless it is still an entertaining thread. Jimmy definitely has his game face on.

Reaction Score

Very little basis for what I said?

You presented an analysis based on what a few fat slob "recruiting experts" rated a few thousand HS players (we'll go with the assumption that fairy tale is even possible). The difference was a half star average over a 4 year period (laughable).

I presented evidence based on what NFL scouts thought. Guy who get paid good money and are actually held accountable based on how accurately their analysis turns out (as opposed to subscription rates).

I guess in your mind you win the argument.

Keep in mind.......I predicted a 10 BYU win tomorrow night. I'm not saying we have more talent. But we are not playing a loaded team either.

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
Or a free ride, when you've already paid.

The good advice, that you just didn't take.

Reaction Score
An average of 5 losses a year would still result in a team winning the majority of their games, which is what I said. UConn has averaged 7 losses a year for the last 4 years, and with all of that NFL talent too, wow. Now I know you are going to say "yeah, but our coaching...", to which I would say, I know, we have excuses too. Fortunately for you, you have already established that your excuse for tomorrow is that we are just too old and it's not fair.

Crappy teams? Really? Are we going to have a strength of schedule debate? You guys are lucky that you were in a BCS conference (albeit the crappiest one) because you wouldn't have sniffed a BCS bowl otherwise. What did you end your BCS bowl season with, 5 losses? Nice.
But if you had to suffer through the Head Coach and offensive Coordinator that we just had to live with for the last 2.4 years you would probably be looking at joining a juco conference Headquartered in California. You Just can't image what we as fans had to deal with. It was beyond slipshod. So we are looking at a complete turnaround. A 180 not a 360 by the way. Can't wait for tomorrow night to settle this on the field we may not win but you will go home sore and with your ear drums hurting. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Very little basis for what I said?

You presented an analysis based on what a few fat slob "recruiting experts" rated a few thousand HS players (we'll go with the assumption that fairy tale is even possible). The difference was a half star average over a 4 year period (laughable).

I presented evidence based on what NFL scouts thought. Guy who get paid good money and are actually held accountable based on how accurately their analysis turns out (as opposed to subscription rates).

I guess in your mind you win the argument.

Keep in mind..I predicted a 10 BYU win tomorrow night. I'm not saying we have more talent. But we are not playing a loaded team either.

Look...forget I posted the recruiting bit. I agree star ratings are a notoriously inaccurate way to assess talent. I actually agree that it's tough to really get a feel for how much talent a team like UConn has because they tend to recruit under the radar (under-evaluated) guys, and late bloomers. I also think recruiting services concentrate on the southeast, Texas, and California too much. Northeastern guys tend not to get much attention from recruiting services.

I'm really not coming to this board to stir things up. I truly look forward to tomorrow's game, and I look forward even more to the return game in Provo. There will be a get together at my place...you're all invited.

I've always been an admirer of UConn's hoops teams and I've followed them at a distance for years. I look forward to getting to know your football program a little better. :)

Cheers!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Why are you all quoting Alanis Morissette? This is supposed to be a manly man's football board!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Why are you all quoting Alanis Morissette? This is supposed to be a manly man's football board!

It all started when you went to Australia.

Well, I'm here to remind you of the mess you left when you went away. It's not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me. You...you...you...ought to know...

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It all started when you went to Australia.

Well, I'm here to remind you of the mess you left when you went away. It's not fair to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me. You...you...you...ought to know...

It's already Friday here in Oz so it's GAMEDAY!!!

Reaction Score
Look...forget I posted the recruiting bit. I agree star ratings are a notoriously inaccurate way to assess talent. I actually agree that it's tough to really get a feel for how much talent a team like UConn has because they tend to recruit under the radar (under-evaluated) guys, and late bloomers. I also think recruiting services concentrate on the southeast, Texas, and California too much. Northeastern guys tend not to get much attention from recruiting services.

I'm really not coming to this board to stir things up. I truly look forward to tomorrow's game, and I look forward even more to the return game in Provo. There will be a get together at my place...you're all invited.

I've always been an admirer of UConn's hoops teams and I've followed them at a distance for years. I look forward to getting to know your football program a little better. :)

Cheers!

Nah you're ok Burr. Just some pregame smack talk. It's the Internet.

Reaction Score

Cheers!
Nah you're ok Burr. Just some pregame smack talk. It's the Internet.
Burr are going to the game? We can use your help selling tickets. Sorry Jimmy I couldn't resist. :D

Reaction Score

Cheers!
No need to defend yourself. You're not going to get anywhere arguing with these guys. Let the scoreboard speak for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom