Should Aubrey be redshirted? | The Boneyard

Should Aubrey be redshirted?

Reaction Score
We all love Aubrey, happy birthday! Unfortunately she has missed so much practice because of unfortunate injuries. She brings so much energy to the game.
With our current depth I envision a difficult period to get her on the floor. I don’t know her academic ambitions, but UConn has a fine graduate school & a year off and practice w/Geno/CD & staff should do her a lot of good. If she returns stronger & better next season, all the better for her and team. She seems like a great person & I wish her all the best.

Reaction Score
With the seniors leaving. she will a lot more valuable next year. But, she has defensive skills that made a huge impact on some important games last year. The healing of the injury will probably be the deciding factor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sure Aubrey, her family, and the coaches will discuss it. I have no doubt they will all help her decide to do what is is in her, and the teams' best interest...

I assume ultimately it will come down to how long the injury will last and how long it will take her to get back into peak physical shape...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
While she is currently a junior...as I understand it...due to covid making last year a 'free' year
athletically she can have 2 more years of eligibility after this season even if she is not red-shirted.
Correct?

Reaction Score
While she is currently a junior...as I understand it...due to covid making last year a 'free' year
athletically she can have 2 more years of eligibility after this season even if she is not red-shirted.
Correct?
That's what I thought too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure Aubrey, her family, and the coaches will discuss it. I have no doubt they will all help her decide to do what is is in her, and the teams' best interest...

I assume ultimately it will come down to how long the injury will last and how long it will take her to get back into peak physical shape...
Agree. Personally, I think she would benefit from it as she will be playing catch-up all this year. Her athleticism is already crazy. Another year is just going to help her improve her physicality.

Reaction Score
No one red shirts any more, particularly with the extra Covid year. She seems to be an ideal candidate for taking advantage of that extra year, though.

Reaction Score
We all love Aubrey, happy birthday! Unfortunately she has missed so much practice because of unfortunate injuries. She brings so much energy to the game.
With our current depth I envision a difficult period to get her on the floor. I don’t know her academic ambitions, but UConn has a fine graduate school & a year off and practice w/Geno/CD & staff should do her a lot of good. If she returns stronger & better next season, all the better for her and team. She seems like a great person & I wish her all the best.

She already has a free year next year since the 2020-21 season didn't count. No need to make any decisions now.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Correct?
So that means she can play limited time this year, and still have two years left. What does red-shirting buy her? Does anyone see her staying TWO years after her graduation?

Reaction Score
If she's not ready in 2 to 3 months, redshirt gives everyone more options.

Reaction Score
Correct?

Correct. No need for her to redshirt

Reaction Score
So that means she can play limited time this year, and still have two years left. What does red-shirting buy her? Does anyone see her staying TWO years after her graduation?
Exactly. If her ankle doesn't heal, she can still be with the team in a boot. Hey she's young, only turning 19 today. She has 2 years of eligibility after this year anyway. Even if she plays 1/2 a season it is still a freebee.

Reaction Score
Too soon for a decision. She has an extra year option regardless. It appears we don't know how long it will be, but we mostly need her for the tournament, if she is ready by then, no need to red-shirt, and if she isn't ,the red-shirt decision could be made later in the season.

I also think the logic that she will have more opportunities next year is flawed. True there are several seniors, but only one is a big (Liv), two bigs are coming next year (Ayanna and Ice) and Dorka sounds like she wants to be here for two years. If she can play more like a 3 maybe, but as a 4 the competition looks to be greater next year.

Hope you get production out of her this year, and only consider a red-shirt if it looks like she will miss the whole year IMO.

Reaction Score
Just looked at NCAA rules. She can redshirt if she competes in less than 30% of the season. I don't think it has to do with actual games played but availability. There also was an article that said new legislation would limit the player to 6-8 games but I do not know if it passed. I think this whole thing is moot. It's an ankle sprain. She probably should stay an extra year anyway. It's such an opportunity. Play for the best coaching staff for a national championship every year, improve your game, and get a master's for free. I keep saying the light is going to go with her one day. She is a very young junior, just turning 19. She doesn't have any limits as far as I can see.

Reaction Score
Audrey & Saylor both might be good candidates. Especially Saylor. Even at 100%, she would have a tough time getting minutes. Dont want to mess with a broken back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom