Should Aaliyah Edwards continue to start? | The Boneyard

Should Aaliyah Edwards continue to start?

Reaction Score
As we go deeper into the tournament and Nika's ankle gets better I think Aaliyah should start because she offers more matchup problems for other teams. She brings energy, defense, and rebounding every night. She even got in the passing game against the Cuse with some passes to Liv and Aubrey for some easy baskets. I love how CD used her and Liv against the Cuse bigs by rotating them in and out to keep them out of foul trouble. Her foul line jumper helps open up underneath because they can't sag off of her. I love Nika's game to death but I think she could be along with Aubrey energizer bunnies off of the bench.

Reaction Score
We are still vulnerable to foul trouble in the front court so I say if we have Nika than start her. Nika has the ability to be a pest, disrupt the opponent's offense, and not let them get into a rhythm at the beginning.

Aaliyah is still our big back up for Liv so let's not risk it if we don't have to. Next year when Amari comes, Piath gets better, and Saylor will be better in a pinch for the 4 then yes let's start Aaliyah for sure.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nika is more valuable as a starter and Edwards in more valuable as 6th woman - bringing in a change of look and keeping fouls in reserve in case Ono picks up early ones.
During the first half I was a little concerned about the flow of the offense. Paige, Evina, and Christyn looked lost as far as trying to set up the plays and getting one of them open to shoot. I really think they missed Nika out there, and I'm not worried about AE getting her minutes and making an impact. Lets not change whats been working. Nika needs to start when she is ready.

Reaction Score
AE will need to start against Baylor. Smith is going to be a big problem. I don’t think E or C can keep her off the boards, or handle her alone on offense.

Reaction Score
If Nika can start against Iowa I would go that route I believe you need to pick up Clark out high she’ll take a deep three any chance she gets. Edwards doesn’t help us out there and Iowa looks to play just the one big that I believe Olivia can handle the way she’s been playing. If Clark gets by our guards our help defense is solid and will contest any shot she’s got after that. No easy layups like she had against Kentucky

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I would start both Aaliyah and Nika and sorry to say, sit Evina. But as my view doesn't mean much, Geno will start Nika if healthy, use Aaliyah as the 6th man.

Reaction Score
As we go deeper into the tournament and Nika's ankle gets better I think Aaliyah should start because she offers more matchup problems for other teams. She brings energy, defense, and rebounding every night. She even got in the passing game against the Cuse with some passes to Liv and Aubrey for some easy baskets. I love how CD used her and Liv against the Cuse bigs by rotating them in and out to keep them out of foul trouble. Her foul line jumper helps open up underneath because they can't sag off of her. I love Nika's game to death but I think she could be along with Aubrey energizer bunnies off of the bench.
I tend to agree, but I have doubts that Nika will be 100% by game time. I say this only because last time she was fine the next morning. This time, after an extra day off, she still could not go. That " smacks " of "high ankle sprain" to me. Hope I'm wrong. Has anyone heard anything meaningful about her recovery?

Reaction Score
If NICA starts and AE sits, they are starting the game with what has become their second best player on the bench. They played their best game in a long time last night. I’d stay with it. And, AE will have to be on the floor from the get go against Baylor.

Reaction Score
I don't really think it matters who starts necessarily, AE will get enough minutes across the game to be impactful but if she has to play close to 40 I would be concerned about her being in foul trouble so not starting her works too. She is also a great impact off the bench and always lifts the team, I think if you start her you lose that scoring ability off the bench if we are struggling to score at the start of a game. The way Nika is a pest and constantly at their point guard, getting steals, handling the ball etc she will start if she is able to play against Iowa I think.

Reaction Score
During the first half I was a little concerned about the flow of the offense. Paige, Evina, and Christyn looked lost as far as trying to set up the plays and getting one of them open to shoot. I really think they missed Nika out there, and I'm not worried about AE getting her minutes and making an impact. Lets not change whats been working. Nika needs to start when she is ready.
UConn scored 41 points in the first half, 42 points in the second half.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons we got off to a better offensive start was Aaliyah is a better weapon and can rebound and put back early misses. It gives Paige an option on the pick and roll. She has to learn how to stay out of foul trouble. We need two bigs in there to win it all. The guards we will be facing from the sweet sixteen forward are better than the big east guards who Nika was picking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom