Shot clock | The Boneyard

Shot clock

Reaction Score
So the governing board of high school basketball just voted down a shot clock..I never knew there wasn't a shot clock in h.s. So experts should there be one? Why or why not?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Some states have a shot clock and that prepares it's players to be ready for the clock when they get to college. A number of high school tournaments also use a shot clock. I think it helps more than hinders.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know from watching Paige's Hopkins games that they would often go into a stall at end of game given a big lead.

Dean Smith would be blushing. :oops:

Reaction Score
So the governing board of high school basketball just voted down a shot clock..I never knew there wasn't a shot clock in h.s. So experts should there be one? Why or why not?

every state is different. And yes, I think there should Be a shot clock. I watched my daughters high school team literally dribble out time. The only way the other team stopped it was to foul. This waaa for the SCC championship. As happy as I was that they won, def shouldn’t have won that way

Reaction Score
Certainly by high school there should be a shot clock; I believe it would help accelerate both cognitive and physical skill development (as MJ would say, if you're not pushed you'll never get better). Also, there is nothing more boring than watching a BB game with no movement (I used to hate watching those four corner offenses of decades past).

Reaction Score
There are two schools of thought. The first is the old North Carolina four corners. The other is probably get it down court in five seconds and three seconds to shoot. I grew up watching the four corner offense and can truthfully say that I've never been more bored in my life. I appreciate good defense but with the proper players it was almost impossible to defend, especially with good ball handlers (who Dean Smith always recruited.) As far as a twenty four second shot clock, that was thrown away by the "dunk". I would rather see the following change - one point for a dunk, two or three for an outside shot depending on the length, and a forty second clock.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
There are two schools of thought. The first is the old North Carolina four corners. The other is probably get it down court in five seconds and three seconds to shoot. I grew up watching the four corner offense and can truthfully say that I've never been more bored in my life. I appreciate good defense but with the proper players it was almost impossible to defend, especially with good ball handlers (who Dean Smith always recruited.) As far as a twenty four second shot clock, that was thrown away by the "dunk". I would rather see the following change - one point for a dunk, two or three for an outside shot depending on the length, and a forty second clock.
I proposed the same idea in a different thread last season and was taken to the wood shed over my idea. My other idea was to raise the basket to 12 or 13 feet for men's CBB, NBA and International games for over 18yo players.
As far as a shot clock, I don't understand why High Schools don't have one. It would appear to make games a bit more equal by giving each team more opportunities on offense.

Reaction Score
I think they should have a 30 s shot clock and then it should go down to 25 s in college. I think that would encourage more passing and less dribbling around the perimeter which drives me crazy as a spectator.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One argument against the use of a shot clock in years past was that high school players were not developed enough in ball handling skills. That is no longer a good reason, imo.

Reaction Score
As far as a shot clock, I don't understand why High Schools don't have one. It would appear to make games a bit more equal by giving each team more opportunities on offense.

1. One reason is money. It costs money to install a good shot clock apparatus and you may have to pay someone to run it.

A shot clock actually favors the stronger team. The more possessions there are, the more often the stronger team will prevail.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Both my daughters played in states and HS conference where there was no shot clock. They also played a national schedule coast to coast & would inevitable end up playing in a state where there was a shot clock. I was always amazed how quickly their teams adjusted. Upon reflection it was a result of them having good coaching. If you focus on the other aspects of good basketball, spacing, working hard to create opportunity ball movement and setting good screens the shot clock rarely comes into play. I favor no shot at the HS level.

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
1. One reason is money. It costs money to install a good shot clock apparatus and you may have to pay someone to run it.

A shot clock actually favors the stronger team. The more possessions there are, the more often the stronger team will prevail.
It wouldn't necessarily favor the stronger team if the weaker team holds the ball every time they get the ball, would it?
Especially if the underdogs somehow had the lead.

Reaction Score
Yes. Like others have stated, prepares the high school players for college basketball, no matter what level & having a shot clock helps coaches, especially college coaches with evaluation of players. That quick pace helps to force players to play functionally fast and improve their decision making skills. Sure you will have some mistakes and growing pains but over time, those skills improve and then you have some solid players and it weeds out the weak links.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Basketball without a shot clock is like tennis without a net. If you are not trying to score, you are not playing basketball.

Reaction Score
There should be a shot clock. The "Four Corners" was about as boring as it gets.

Reaction Score
In Massachusetts, I believe they start using a shot clock in 5th grade travel ball. I can't believe Connecticut doesn't use a shot clock in high school. That really hurts CT High School Bball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In Massachusetts, I believe they start using a shot clock in 5th grade travel ball. I can't believe Connecticut doesn't use a shot clock in high school. That really hurts CT High School Bball.
Yup Mass has a shot clock, Connecticut doesn’t... at the high school classic in Springfield CT teams had to adjust.
Geno wish Connecticut had a shot clock he said he’d recruit more of their players. He wants them to play under pressure and get think quickly

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom