Shortening the Bench | The Boneyard

Shortening the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've always felt that the good teams had about 8 guys that they had solidly in their rotation. What we saw early this year is that we had about 10 or 11, with many of them being young. Roles don't get established. Leaders don't develop.

What we saw in the second half was a shortening of the bench and a necessary establishment of roles. Granted, they came under horrible circumstances with injuries to Larrier and Gilbert, and teams don't often get better when they lose talent.

But now, Adams and Purvis are the guys without having to look over their shoulders. And we'll have a solid 8 player rotation where all 8 players develop within their roles. I expect us to go on a run now. Mark me down for saying it...

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I've always felt that the good teams had about 8 guys that they had solidly in their rotation. What we saw early this year is that we had about 10 or 11, with many of them being young. Roles don't get established. Leaders don't develop.

What we saw in the second half was a shortening of the bench and a necessary establishment of roles. Granted, they came under horrible circumstances with injuries to Larrier and Gilbert, and teams don't often get better when they lose talent.

But now, Adams and Purvis are the guys without having to look over their shoulders. And we'll have a solid 8 player rotation where all 8 players develop within their roles. I expect us to go on a run now. Mark me down for saying it...

Hate to say it but glad you did. I was kinda thinking the same. There were a lot of moving parts figuring where each fit in before. Now, for good or bad, those pieces are less in flux.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Jalen, Purvis, Gilbert, Larrier, Brimah, Jackson, Vital and one of Facey, Enoch and Durham. If Larrier is out for the year, make it 2 of Facey, Enoch and Durham.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The three frosh- Vital, Durham and Jackson seemed to be positively affected the most.

They had to play and all seemed aggressive.

Reaction Score
Most teams start by trying a lot of rotations early...the fact that we haven't trimmed the rotation to 8 guys yet (ignoring the fact that injuries now only allow us to play 8 guys) is not an issue

If it's January and we haven't figured out our best 8 and rotations that's when we have a problem. KO has always seemed to have an issue figuring out his rotations and subbing patterns, and it usually takes him until late February for it to click.

Reaction Score
Bench is already pretty short with the injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom