Shortell an Guiterrez Commit to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shortell an Guiterrez Commit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction Score
If the WR had an offer from Kansas it was a recruiting battle that was won.

P is putting together a class that is on paper better then the previous years and he is doing it during a year that the conference has been torn apart and glued back together which obviously makes recruiting more difficult.

And in response to another poster, Yes it is easier to recruit at Maryland than UCONN. Much easier.
What makes it easier to recruit at Maryland than Uconn - Much Easier?

I dont know?

Reaction Score

I dont know?
For some kids the closeness to DC is an attraction. Also the ACC is a far more stable football conference than the BE.

Reaction Score

I dont know?

The conference and location are two huge factors. Mostly the conference. I'm surprised you did not know Maryland was in the ACC and we were not. Personally I think the new Big East has alot of potential but that does not mean it is not a very difficult sell to recruits at this time.

Reaction Score
what do you mean, kids pick to go to Maryland so they can be close to DC?
Because its the Nations Capital? Because they are from DC?
I dont know what you mean by that?
How is DC different than Boston or Philly?

Randy was right then, you cant recruit at UConn - ACC has ALWAYS been more stable than the BE, no??

Is it easier to recruit at DUKE/WAKE or UConn?

Reaction Score
what do you mean, kids pick to go to Maryland so they can be close to DC?
Because its the Nations Capital? Because they are from DC?
I dont know what you mean by that?
How is DC different than Boston or Philly?

Randy was right then, you cant recruit at UConn - ACC has ALWAYS been more stable than the BE, no??

Is it easier to recruit at DUKE/WAKE or UConn?

I forgot to mention fanbase. UCONN has a few pretend fans who tend to be annoying.

Reaction Score
The conference and location are two huge factors. Mostly the conference. I'm surprised you did not know Maryland was in the ACC and we were not. Personally I think the new Big East has alot of potential but that does not mean it is not a very difficult sell to recruits at this time.

Location - so we should move the campus from Storrs to Stamford to win more recruiting battles? Our location sucks compared to Maryland, how do we change that? We cant, so Randy was right - cant recruit at UConn?

If it is mostly conference, how did Cinci, Louisville and Rutgers (WVU but they dont count, b12) end up with classes better than say North Carolina and Maryland?

Reaction Score
Uconn 2012 recruting class is ranked 65 by scout - 7th in BE (not completed)
Uconn 2011 recruiting class was ranked 81 by scout- 8th in BE
Uconn 2010 recruiting class was ranked 69 by scout- 8th in BE
Uconn 2009 recruiting class was ranker 76 by scout- 7th in BE
Uconn 2008 recruting class was ranked 70 by scout- 8th in BE
Uconn 2007 recruiting class was ranked 53 by scout- 7th in BE
'

During this timeframe UCONN has won two BE championships and been to five bowl games. I believe also well down the list in these recruiting rankings is Cincy who also won multiple conference championships during this timeframe.

Ranking these classes and much of this individual assessment by the recruiting sites if not total and utter bull is darn close. These sites follow the interest of the programs, not the other way around. Interest by other programs is probably a reasonable indicator of talent, but certainly not the end all. The recruiting sites are also heavily focused on the territories covered by the larger programs (concentrated in the south). Most of those programs and therefore the sites could not find New England on a map.

Go to the Rivals commitment list for UCONN for 2007. By my count, eight of the members of that class will, have (in the case of Sherman) or would have (in the case of Jazz) get serious interest from the NFL. All were two star, lightly recruited kids.

These sites are accurate to within some degree for elite programs and for elite recruits. In otherwords, programs that consistently recruit topnotch talent over years, with topnotch talent being defined as kids with obvious physical abilities. Think ten programs and maybe 100-200 kids per class. After that, its a crap shoot. Holding out a 3 star versus a 2 star or a class ranked 32nd versus one ranked 58th is meaningless.

Many football games are won right on the line of scrimmage with 300 pounders banging it out. Identifying that 300 pounder at age 16 and 17 has got to be less than an exact science.

Stream of consciousness, I know. UCONN will be fine. Recruting has improved over the years and I believe will continue to do so.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Whats smart about it?

It helps build local relationships so that when the next Torrey Mack/John Sullivan/Silas Redd pops up in Fairfield County, his coach doesn't automatically steer him out-of-state to play 'big-time' football.

And if the kids work hard, pan out and help contribute to UConn's on-field success? Icing on the cake...

Reaction Score
Here we go again. Back on topic. Can anyone confirm with sources these two commitments?

epark88

Reaction Score
Here we go again. Back on topic. Can anyone confirm with sources these two commitments?

Shortell is confirmed, per Dez. Nothing solid on Gutierrez just yet...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Shortell is confirmed, per Dez. Nothing solid on Gutierrez just yet...

Previous post includes an article from Dez confirming the Gutierrez commitment.

Reaction Score
WR Ricky Gutierrez, son of the former MLB player, Commits To UConn

by DCONNER on JANUARY 29, 2012 · LEAVE A COMMENT

Ricky Gutierrez, a 6-1, 170-pound receiver from American High in Miami and the son of the former Major League Baseball Player, has committed to UConn.

epark88

Reaction Score
Good stuff - I missed the Gutierrez info. Thanks!...

Reaction Score
Still trying to confirm Berger. Has the physical tools: 5'11, 190 , 4.45s. He could play corner or safety.

Reaction Score
Been a busy morning thus far. Huskies pick up 2 more commits. And possibly 2 more in state kids in Berger and Tumba as well.

Reaction Score
Clax too! This class is shaping up nicely. Having another Jaz at UConn can't be a bad thing.

Reaction Score

I dont know?
It is much easier. An 18 yo kid has a lot of advisers. Now they're telling them that the BE is not going to have an AQ, everyone wants out, the league may cease to exist if LV or Uconn leave as they so desperately desire . . . . you think Maryland, or an ACC has that kind of negative recruiting going on? Negative recruiting got the Manchester CT TE to pick BC over Uconn. And initially he wanted to go to Uconn. Much, much easier.

Reaction Score
Clax too! This class is shaping up nicely. Having another Jazz at UConn can't be a bad thing.

Clax is a good pick up. Not the biggest guy, but a great tackler, good pass rushing ability and great at stopping the run. Continues to add to the depth at LB turning what looked like a weakness on defense into a potential strength.

This class keeps getting better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom