short press 8/28 | The Boneyard

short press 8/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was actually shocked and disappointed in this article. First off, with all the hype around Jim Calhoun and recruiting issues and NCAA voilation, etc.... to say he pulled strings makes it sound shady. Is what he did legal and ethical? It is one thing if he played the system... the way it is worded concerned me. However, while that is an issue.. the more pressing issue is where the scholarship is coming from for Drummond. A teammate is going to be able to apply for financial aid. Okay fine.. .but then it goes to list the name of that student. Was this student and his family asked if they could be mentioned in the article? Some people might be embarassed that they were mentioned as needing a handout... Was there no way for any of the UCONN Men to be awarded an academic scholarship?

I am sorry.. it just left a bad taste.

Reaction Score
I agree with you- however there is no one outside of us UCONN fans that are going to be happy about this and there are certainly very few people that are JC fans. Outside of our fan base people do not realize how much this current group of kids loves being in school and playing with each other. Chemistry and a team first tude we now have in droves. If other teams or the talking heads do not like it they can piss off- the talking heads are bored and other teams - well they are going to have to play a much stronger UCONN team this year.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that no one thought that Pitino "sounded shady" when he asked three players on his team to give up their scholarships this summer to make room for new recruits. Pitino said that scholarships were reviewed on a yearly basis. So why does this make Calhoun look bad? UConn was approached by Drummond's family. That's the bottom line. If Bradley said no, then Andre would have moved on. How about we wait until everything unfolds before passing judgment?

Reaction Score
Arnie... thanks for telling me how I should feel. I really appreciate it. All those years of formal education did not allow me the skills to think for myself. I am glad you told me that Pitino is a bigger "Jerk". Personally I never said that Calhoun was bad... I stated that the wording made it sound questionable. As for if Bradley said no... how do you know they asked him? They could have asked him to file the finacial aid paperwork... but might not have told him that they were going to announce to the world that he was "poor". Of course I am not a sociologist, but I just think it could have been done with more tact. Also, I like what someone else suggested with Tyler potentially paying in state tuition, could live at home for the year since his father is the gym teacher at EO Smith.... and it would not cost that much... Or... like I stated earlier... Why aren't they academic scholarships? Also Arnie.. what makes you think that UCONN would have said "No, sorry we are all full at the inn" with Andre had Bradley said no????

Reaction Score
As for passing judgment.. it is my impression, agree with me or disagree with me it does not matter. I am still entitled to my opinion. Seems like you do not want me to have my own opinion. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom