Short Javonte Brown Fergurson workout vid | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Short Javonte Brown Fergurson workout vid

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same reason Richie Springs reclassed and redshirted last year (although there's certainly differing views on when that was known. Get him into the program and you get to work with him to build up the strength over relying on someone else to do it.

Seems to be a trend that Hurley has been using, Martin and Springs last year and possibly Martin this year now

Springs was expected to play and was declared ineligible late in pre-season. They didn't do that on purpose. We sure could have used him.

Reaction Score
Springs was expected to play and was declared ineligible late in pre-season. They didn't do that on purpose. We sure could have used him.
Like I said, differing views. We definitely could have used him after the injuries but I don't think they had any intention of playing him unless absolutely necessary

Reaction Score
While a redshirt makes sense, if this kid is good, he won't be here for 5 years so there is really no point

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You don't seem to be getting my point. Yeah, 10 healthy players will suck but 1) Polley will be better by then and 2) position is just as important. The problem last year was that we had no depth at the 3/4 towards the end (and only 2 Cs).

We could have 12 scholarship players available but if they're all 6'1 our team is going to stink. Just because there are 13 scholarships doesn't make our team more or less likely to be affected by injury. Regardless of what happens at the 1-4, we have 3 or 4 guys who can play C ahead of Javonte. That's a much easier redshirt to make than, say, Richie was.

Let's say Jackson gets hurt. Whaley/Carlton/Richie aren't playing the 3. So how does having Javonte help us? Polley/Adams/Bouk are going to be soaking up those minutes, not Carlton/Whaley/Sanogo.

If he doesn't redshirt, it probably means he's much farther along than I expected, which could be fantastic for the team though. Depth never hurt anyone!
I'm not sure with COVID that we want to redshirt anybody this year. Yeah we may have three Cs now but what if they all come down with the big C at the same time? Your logic is correct but this is going to be a strange year.

Reaction Score
While a redshirt makes sense, if this kid is good, he won't be here for 5 years so there is really no point
When did being considered a "good" player become synonymous with leaving school early? The guys that leave school early for the NBA draft tend to be stars on the collegiate level, the rest (the vast majority) do play out there collegiate eligibility. Seriously, who was the last player who left the program early for the NBA? DHam? Since then we've had Brimah, Purvis, Adams and Vital all graduate, all of those guys were objectively "good".

Reaction Score
When did being considered a "good" player become synonymous with leaving school early? The guys that leave school early for the NBA draft tend to be stars on the collegiate level, the rest (the vast majority) do play out there collegiate eligibility. Seriously, who was the last player who left the program early for the NBA? DHam? Since then we've had Brimah, Purvis, Adams and Vital all graduate, all of those guys were objectively "good".
Unfortunately over the past 5-6 years being just good meant declaring pro. Talks more about the talent level/coaching up of players we had than the landscape of college basketball. “Good players” with ath. Ability and measurables are declaring more and more. (To the point if there isn’t a season, idk if we ever see Andre play a game in uniform.)

Reaction Score
You don't seem to be getting my point. Yeah, 10 healthy players will suck
that was my only point. only 10 healthy players will suck. that's not meant to be a controversial statement

Reaction Score
that was my only point. only 10 healthy players will suck. that's not meant to be a controversial statement

Gotcha. I'm just bored and overthinking roster construction

Reaction Score
Anyone else see 'cuse colors, orange and blue in that gym and cringe? I am glad his gym gets a color upgrade. :)

Reaction Score
I mean they don't have any positional overlap. I don't see how one effects the other.

If Akok isn't healthy our weak spot will be the 4. I imagine that Springs, a little Whaley, and Polley will have to split time there. Martin could play the 4 a little which would be helpful.. but I'm not counting on it. Maybe Jackson could spot some minutes... it's certainly a concern.

We are deeper at the 5 than anywhere. A more fit Carlton, late-season Whaley and Sanogo is formidable.

But, even though he's young, with so many positive thoughts being expressed about him, isn't it unlikely he'd be here for a fifth year anyway? So, if the coaches believe he's not a five year guy, wouldn't it be good for his development to see some time in games even if it's just late minutes in games already decided?
That would allow Whaley and Sanogo to spend more time at the 4 too.

Reaction Score
But, even though he's young, with so many positive thoughts being expressed about him, isn't it unlikely he'd be here for a fifth year anyway? So, if the coaches believe he's not a five year guy, wouldn't it be good for his development to see some time in games even if it's just late minutes in games already decided?
That would allow Whaley and Sanogo to spend more time at the 4 too.

I guess my assumption here is that he's a 4-year player, and not everyone is on that wavelength on the 'Yard. I haven't seen anything that indicates otherwise yet in the 3 or 4 games I watched. Obviously the staff is going to have a much better read on that than me--we'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
I have my doubts about anyone staying at the same school for five years in this day and age. As the old saying goes, you can’t teach size, and if he shows better than average talent after playing two or three years, thoughts of playing somewhere for money will start swirling around. Or, he could graduate after four years and leave to play somewhere else as a grad transfer. Better to be able to play him now than to plan four years down the road in the hope that he’ll come into his own for UConn as a 5th year senior. Anything can happen in that amount of time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom