Shooters Shoot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shooters Shoot

Reaction Score
I don't think Azzi is capable of taking some of the shots that Clark takes........not because she couldn't make them but because her entire life's training has been about taking the best shot available and never forcing a bad one..........I could see her heaving one up with a second or two before half time though and I bet she hits one of those by the time her UConn career is over.....

Reaction Score
I feel you are missing a bit of context. Iowa was down 20, missing two key starters and Cinzano was in foul trouble and had her hands filled with Naz Hillman. Literally, Clark was forced to carry the entire offensive burden on her shoulders. If one takes a different perspective, Clark shooting from the logo area might be a stroke of genius. First, let’s give her some props from being able to shoot from this distance, let alone making them. Second, Michigan knew she was going to shoot, and Clark, by launching and making these threes, opened space for her to drive and get to the basket, which she did.

As UConn fans, we lauded Azzi’s performance, and rightfully so. She played a fundamentally sound game, didn’t force anything and took the opportunities as presented. Fortunately, she gets a modicum of space, simply because UConn has other weapons available. Imagine if Azzi was the only viable scorer. She might not have been able to take 9 threes against UT. Also, consider if Azzi had to take 30 shots to keep UConn in the game. I know she is physically capable, but there would be enormous mental pressure on her to perform. This is the weight Clark carries into every game. Some nights she is off and forces too many bad shot selections. Other nights, she is other worldly.

Lastly, Azzi scored 25 against UT and played a spectacular game. Clark scored 25 in the 4th quarter alone, putting a scare into a really good Michigan team. Iowa is undersized and their talent level is far inferior to UConn. UConn has 3 unbelievable talents in Azzi, Caroline and Paige. While I believe Paige is the best player in the country, what Clark is doing for Iowa is incredible. She is asked to shoulder enormous responsibility and in most instances, she does so in spectacular fashion.
I'm not just talking about the context of a single game. AGAIN...she has had similar outings where it wasn't spectacular and they lost. Come on...lack of talent isn't why you lose to IUPI or Northwestern. I'm not even saying she's not great. She is. But basketball is a TEAM sport where the goal is to win. Spectacular? Check. This game and many of the others. Team Win? No.

There are other players and certainly they have some level of skills where they aren't just spectators and practice dummies. FOUR other players shoot as well from 3 or better than Clark. THREE of those 4...shoot more than TWELVE PERCENT better from three than Clark! The problem is...they have so fewer attempts! They can play. They probably are afraid to shoot. As far as how deep she shoots the ball and how mesmerizing it is...I don't really focus on that. Shoot it from the parking lot...it's still three points. My focus is on the reality that she only makes 30% of them. Overall, she shoots 45% (3 others shoot higher...not including Czinano). That tells me two things...Clark shoots a LOT better than 30% from within the arc. Maybe the heroics wouldn't have been necessary if the shot selection from the start was better in these games.

Czinano averages 28 minutes a game. That's what she played in this loss. She was present...and got only 8 attempts. If someone makes 65% of their attempts, then you have to convince me why she got so few attempts...in an 8 point loss.

What she is asked to do...isn't helping the TEAM in the long run. Speaking of UCONN, what better example is there for learning the lesson of putting all your eggs in a single basket. It's entertaining, but it has consequences. And I wouldn't even begin to compare Azzi and Clark for a couple of reasons. Clark is a PG and has the ball in her hand...and open or not just shoots. Azzi is off the ball, playing in an offense focused on balanced scoring, which is also the part of the reason why she got open again TN. The defenders have to actually cover more than two people. If you look at her 3 from the top of the key....Dorka dives and three defenders follow Dorka (one of them Azzi's) and she gets open. She's not chucking up desperate 3s. That's coaching. If Clarke needs to be a super human each game, then the coaches need to figure out why...and fix it. One against five is not good odds.

Reaction Score
I'm not just talking about the context of a single game. AGAIN...she has had similar outings where it wasn't spectacular and they lost. Come on...lack of talent isn't why you lose to IUPI or Northwestern. I'm not even saying she's not great. She is. But basketball is a TEAM sport where the goal is to win. Spectacular? Check. This game and many of the others. Team Win? No.

There are other players and certainly they have some level of skills where they aren't just spectators and practice dummies. FOUR other players shoot as well from 3 or better than Clark. THREE of those 4...shoot more than TWELVE PERCENT better from three than Clark! The problem is...they have so fewer attempts! They can play. They probably are afraid to shoot. As far as how deep she shoots the ball and how mesmerizing it is...I don't really focus on that. Shoot it from the parking lot...it's still three points. My focus is on the reality that she only makes 30% of them. Overall, she shoots 45% (3 others shoot higher...not including Czinano). That tells me two things...Clark shoots a LOT better than 30% from within the arc. Maybe the heroics wouldn't have been necessary if the shot selection from the start was better in these games.

Czinano averages 28 minutes a game. That's what she played in this loss. She was present...and got only 8 attempts. If someone makes 65% of their attempts, then you have to convince me why she got so few attempts...in an 8 point loss.

What she is asked to do...isn't helping the TEAM in the long run. Speaking of UCONN, what better example is there for learning the lesson of putting all your eggs in a single basket. It's entertaining, but it has consequences. And I wouldn't even begin to compare Azzi and Clark for a couple of reasons. Clark is a PG and has the ball in her hand...and open or not just shoots. Azzi is off the ball, playing in an offense focused on balanced scoring, which is also the part of the reason why she got open again TN. The defenders have to actually cover more than two people. If you look at her 3 from the top of the key....Dorka dives and three defenders follow Dorka (one of them Azzi's) and she gets open. She's not chucking up desperate 3s. That's coaching. If Clarke needs to be a super human each game, then the coaches need to figure out why...and fix it. One against five is not good odds.
Have you watched Iowa play? Warnock, Martin, Taiwo and Marshall are all capable three-point shooters, but they are typically wide open when they shoot because of the attention rivals need to pay to Clark.

As for Czinano, she's averaging 20 points per game because she's a ridiculously good shooter in the paint, but also because Caitlin delivers the ball to her usually in exactly the place she needs it to go up for the shot without a dribble. Against Michigan, she was often double-teamed, and was in foul trouble, so she just wasn't as involved on offense.

Reaction Score
Have you watched Iowa play? Warnock, Martin, Taiwo and Marshall are all capable three-point shooters, but they are typically wide open when they shoot because of the attention rivals need to pay to Clark.

As for Czinano, she's averaging 20 points per game because she's a ridiculously good shooter in the paint, but also because Caitlin delivers the ball to her usually in exactly the place she needs it to go up for the shot without a dribble. Against Michigan, she was often double-teamed, and was in foul trouble, so she just wasn't as involved on offense.
Yes. I have watched. If they are open, then that's why I don't get why they have so few attempts, even though they are better shooters. That's not a fair question? Most of Clark's assist are to Czinano. I get that since she's the PG and has the ball so much. No surprise there. But you have to wonder about at least some of the losses playing this style. Let me ask you what you think the opposition's scouting report would look like when playing Iowa? I'm just old school when it comes to offensive philosophy. The more diverse a team is...the harder I feel it is to defend. I could see if early on they needed to ride Clark, but would have thought by now they would have developed a broader offensive strategy. I thought they would be a top 16 team this year. I thought a deep run in the tournament might boost their recruiting.

Reaction Score

My thoughts exactly. This is on the coach. By allowing Clark to play Maravich ball it shows Bluder’s level of confidence in the offensive abilities of the rest of the team. And IMO Clark is just fine with the arrangement.

Reaction Score
Caitlin took 29 of the team's 67 shot attempts (43.3%), and 8 of the team's 16 three-point attempts (50%).
Well, you got part of it correct at least. Caitlin shot 6 for 13 three-point attempts, and 8 for 16 two-pointers! This whole thing is very strange now. I was replying to the stats originally posted by @Kaizen, but his post has now been removed long after the time to delete or edit, and my reference to his post has also been removed. Very strange indeed!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well, you got part of it correct at least. Caitlin shot 6 for 13 three-point attempts, and 8 for 16 two-pointers! This whole thing is very strange now. I was replying to the stats originally posted by @Kaizen, but his post has now been removed long after the time to delete or edit, and my reference to his post has also been removed. Very strange indeed!
Neither post has been deleted.

Reaction Score
Neither post has been deleted.
Then I must be blind because Kaizen's post is not showing for me, and the post where I questioned how he could have gotten his stats so wrong is not addressed to him.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Then I must be blind because Kaizen's post is not showing for me, and the post where I questioned how he could have gotten his stats so wrong is not addressed to him.
I have no information on your ocular status but the posts are there. Perhaps an ignore function has been activated.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
The posts are both still there. Just click on the up arrow next to the "NU2BY said" in this post and keep following the trail of up arrows until you get to the post you want to see.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd showed her flawless stroke today, but Caitlin Clark went absolutely insane in the 4th quarter in their game against Michigan. Some of the three’s she made were at least 10 ft beyond the 3-pt line. What made her performance more unreal was Michigan knew what Clark was trying to do by double teaming her without the ball and still she made her shots.

Although each player has different responsibilities, both Azzi & Clark can stroke. I’d love to see what Azzi could do if she had the freedom to launch from anywhere.
I'm sure she has a green light. I know I had to yell at the tv a few times for her to shoot, but she came around in the second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom