Shooters Shoot | The Boneyard

Shooters Shoot

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd showed her flawless stroke today, but Caitlin Clark went absolutely insane in the 4th quarter in their game against Michigan. Some of the three’s she made were at least 10 ft beyond the 3-pt line. What made her performance more unreal was Michigan knew what Clark was trying to do by double teaming her without the ball and still she made her shots.

Although each player has different responsibilities, both Azzi & Clark can stroke. I’d love to see what Azzi could do if she had the freedom to launch from anywhere.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd showed her flawless stroke today, but Caitlin Clark went absolutely insane in the 4th quarter in their game against Michigan. Some of the three’s she made were at least 10 ft beyond the 3-pt line. What made her performance more unreal was Michigan knew what Clark was trying to do by double teaming her without the ball and still she made her shots.

Although each player has different responsibilities, both Azzi & Clark can stroke. I’d love to see what Azzi could do if she had the freedom to launch from anywhere.
And Caitlin took 99% (facetious) of the Iowa shots and don't forget the one where she missed everything when the team needed the points.
Granted she did have a great shooting night and a great game, but it ended up being a little late. She looked absolutely gassed and was beaten up pretty bad by the end of the game.
And Azzi has the freedom to shoot, she just chooses to stay under control.

Reaction Score
And Caitlin took 99% (facetious) of the Iowa shots and don't forget the one where she missed everything when the team needed the points.
Granted she did have a great shooting night and a great game, but it ended up being a little late. She looked absolutely gassed and was beaten up pretty bad by the end of the game.
And Azzi has the freedom to shoot, she just chooses to stay under control.
Wholly different circumstances, Centerstream, as you know... I seriously doubt Azzi could do what Caitlin does fairly regularly, which is keep her otherwise undermanned team in games and winning more than their share.

Yes, turnovers are there, and the criticism will continue about Caitlin, but I love to watch her play. She is a women's basketball treasure.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Wholly different circumstances, Centerstream, as you know... I seriously doubt Azzi could do what Caitlin does fairly regularly, which is keep her otherwise undermanned team in games and winning more than their share.

Yes, turnovers are there, and the criticism will continue about Caitlin, but I love to watch her play. She is a women's basketball treasure.
I hope that Azzi never has an undermanned team. But I just don't see taking shots from the Michigan logo, and more than one, when you can get much closer or pass to a teammate that is definitely closer.
But you can say whatever you want but I will take Azzi (and Paige) any day because I am a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Having watched a few of Azzi's workouts, I am very CONFIDENT that Azzi could do what Caitlin does, if given the Green Light. But I do agree, both players are under different circumstances (playing and coaching) mad props to Caitlin Clark. What she is doing is off the charts. How she is playing is off the charts. She is a women's basketball treasure. I was at the Michigan/Iowa game. It was electric watching Caitlin shooting, being double team and still knocking down shots, and getting away with push-offs. It was an exciting game.

Reaction Score
I hope that Azzi never has an undermanned team. But I just don't see taking shots from the Michigan logo, and more than one, when you can get much closer or pass to a teammate that is definitely closer.
But you can say whatever you want but I will take Azzi (and Paige) any day because I am a UConn fan.
I can love Paige, Azzi and the rest of the Huskies, and root 100 percent for UConn, and still admire and respect Caitlin's mercurial talents, can't I?

I wonder why she takes some of those shots, too, but I have nothing at stake watching Iowa play so it's really entertaining to me.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark made 29 shots out of total 67 and 14 FTs of the total 26, that is 43.3%. and 53.8%. I wonder will Geno let his players to make 43.3% of the total shots in a single game?

But I have to say Caitlin is really really good.

Reaction Score

The difference between Fudd and Clark is BB IQ. Fudd has the freedom to shoot whenever she’s open. But she knows better than to launch from anywhere.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Clark is an excellent shooter who can put up big numbers when she gets hot.
But the same teammates that are watching her show on offense, decided not to play any defense, resulting in a L.
Players do not exert the same energy to make the little plays to win games when they are not part of the offense.

Reaction Score
Clark is a GREAT shooter. Now, I don't know what the coaching philosophy or what the goals are for the team, but to this point, it isn't enough. IMO, she takes too many 3s and shoots them out of games, and lulls her teammates to sleep. They loss by 8, but they have Czinao who shoots a high percentage who only took EIGHT shots vs Clark who took TWENTY NINE! Now...either Clark takes a few more two-pointers (less 3 pointers) or the coach should figure out how to get Czano a few more touches.

Reaction Score
I seldom watch any team not named UConn, but I never miss the chance to watch Iowa play. What Caitlin does is other-worldly, truly gasp-worthy. She is far from a shooter only; she holds the Big 10 record for assists in a single game (17). She has five triple doubles in her career (so far), which places her fourth all-time to the divine Sabrina (8). She is arguably one of the most entertaining women playing the game today. Oh, and she leads the nation with an average of 26 points/. You denigrate her at the risk of appearing foolish.
Paige and Azzi are completely different types of players from Clark and from each other. Slim is an orchestra leader; Fudd is the featured musician. None needs to be defended. All three are thoroughbreds of the first order, artists among lesser beings. All three are worth the price of admission.

Reaction Score
Clark has solid numbers right now so you can't really fault her for her performance but she doesn't really need to launch from everywhere. Some additional selectivity would certainly help her efficiency but she's shooting 47% overall and 40% from 3 and she is launching A LOT of 3 pointers. 6-7 assists per game and 6-7 rebounds a game. Those are fantastic numbers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Clark is a GREAT shooter. Now, I don't know what the coaching philosophy or what the goals are for the team, but to this point, it isn't enough. IMO, she takes too many 3s and shoots them out of games, and lulls her teammates to sleep. They loss by 8, but they have Czinao who shoots a high percentage who only took EIGHT shots vs Clark who took TWENTY NINE! Now...either Clark takes a few more two-pointers (less 3 pointers) or the coach should figure out how to get Czano a few more touches.

Czinano fouled out of the game. I don't know at what point, but she played only 27 minutes. Her shot attempts were limited by that, as was the need for Caitlyn to shoot even more than normal.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why care where a player shoots from if she continuously hits those shots? They all count. It can make a player look bad if she misses most of them but after Clark air-balled an extra-long one last night, she stopped shooting them. I don't understand knocking the distance of her shots when she makes them. She is a special player. Maybe not a winning one but, special.

Reaction Score
When someone is shooting 47% and over 100 of those shots are 3 point attempts, those are fantastic numbers for a guard. 3 pointers being worth more than 2 pointers, that's effectively a per point efficiency way above almost anyone else in the game especially for the volume of points she is putting up.

Reaction Score
Clark played 40 minutes, was 8 of 16 (FG) 6 of 13 (3PT) and 12 of 14 (FT) ... a percentage in any of those categories most of here would gladly accept from any of our players. Oh, and she scored 46 points. That's better than a point a minute! She also grabbed 4 rebounds, had 10 assists, 3 steals, 4 turnovers and 4 fouls. They were down 16 points going into the 4th quarter but lost to Michigan 98-90.

However, @my2cents said it best above, her teammates didn't do much except watch the Caitlin Clark show. I prefer UConn's brand of basketball, but watching a player like Clark do her thing is exciting and very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark made 29 shots out of total 67 and 14 FTs of the total 26, that is 43.3%. and 53.8%. I wonder will Geno let his players to make 43.3% of the total shots in a single game?

But I have to say Caitlin is really really good.
I don't know where or how your percentages were calculated, but they are wrong! Caitlin shot:
48.3 FG (14 out of 29) the breakdown is 46.1 3s (6 for 13) and 50.0 2s (8 for 16)
85.7 FT (12 for 14)

How in the world did you come up with her making 29 shots out of a total 67? That's mind-blowing!

Reaction Score
The issue with Teams that have Players like Clark and Horston from Tenn. is Consciously or not, they tend to rely on their "Star" to take over the game which they do. Player's stand around watch and allow their "Shooters" to shot. Uconn did exactly that before Paige was injured. . Uconn has learned to continue to play as a Team and players like Azzi, a shooter, play within the Team concept. JMHO........

Reaction Score
Why care where a player shoots from if she continuously hits those shots? They all count. It can make a player look bad if she misses most of them but after Clark air-balled an extra-long one last night, she stopped shooting them. I don't understand knocking the distance of her shots when she makes them. She is a special player. Maybe not a winning one but, special.
It's not so much the distance, but when you lose by 8 (and this isn't the first time)...what would happen if she traded some of those lower percentage shots for higher percentage shots? She shoots a higher percentage from the 2 range. And imagine playing with her and you're busting hump on D...which she is not good at btw...and after all that hard work she's launching 3s from the logo. She looks great, but the point is for the team to win. There have been a few games...didn't make ESPN where she literally shot them out of games...and they lose by a few points. And even when she makes shots...three defenders are basically resting because she has the ball in her hand most of every possession. But, I don't blame Clark. I blame the coach for running a predictable offense. Why would anyone want to play there alongside Clark?

Reaction Score
When I posted on this thread, I knew none of the facts of the game. I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG. I somewhat corrected myself in the CAITLIN CLARK thread, but will try again here.
Iowa had only 7 players, and did Czinzano foul out? Iowa's only option was Clark.
Iowa was down 20 points, and the only way to win the game was to let a hot Clark take over. She did. Iowa cut the lead to 5, eventually losing.

Clark is a great player , putting up some unbeliveable numbers. Nobody, but nobody, should take anything away from her.
This is a big country and there can be more than one great guard. Its good for Womens Basketball.

Reaction Score
It's not so much the distance, but when you lose by 8 (and this isn't the first time)...what would happen if she traded some of those lower percentage shots for higher percentage shots? She shoots a higher percentage from the 2 range. And imagine playing with her and you're busting hump on D...which she is not good at btw...and after all that hard work she's launching 3s from the logo. She looks great, but the point is for the team to win. There have been a few games...didn't make ESPN where she literally shot them out of games...and they lose by a few points. And even when she makes shots...three defenders are basically resting because she has the ball in her hand most of every possession. But, I don't blame Clark. I blame the coach for running a predictable offense. Why would anyone want to play there alongside Clark?
I feel you are missing a bit of context. Iowa was down 20, missing two key starters and Cinzano was in foul trouble and had her hands filled with Naz Hillman. Literally, Clark was forced to carry the entire offensive burden on her shoulders. If one takes a different perspective, Clark shooting from the logo area might be a stroke of genius. First, let’s give her some props from being able to shoot from this distance, let alone making them. Second, Michigan knew she was going to shoot, and Clark, by launching and making these threes, opened space for her to drive and get to the basket, which she did.

As UConn fans, we lauded Azzi’s performance, and rightfully so. She played a fundamentally sound game, didn’t force anything and took the opportunities as presented. Fortunately, she gets a modicum of space, simply because UConn has other weapons available. Imagine if Azzi was the only viable scorer. She might not have been able to take 9 threes against UT. Also, consider if Azzi had to take 30 shots to keep UConn in the game. I know she is physically capable, but there would be enormous mental pressure on her to perform. This is the weight Clark carries into every game. Some nights she is off and forces too many bad shot selections. Other nights, she is other worldly.

Lastly, Azzi scored 25 against UT and played a spectacular game. Clark scored 25 in the 4th quarter alone, putting a scare into a really good Michigan team. Iowa is undersized and their talent level is far inferior to UConn. UConn has 3 unbelievable talents in Azzi, Caroline and Paige. While I believe Paige is the best player in the country, what Clark is doing for Iowa is incredible. She is asked to shoulder enormous responsibility and in most instances, she does so in spectacular fashion.

Reaction Score
Well said by My Two Cents and Surly1, and others... we shouldn't compare Azzi/UConn or Paige/UConn with Caitlin/Iowa. They are apples and oranges, for sure.

Yes, Iowa loses some of these games but, frankly, if Caitlin weren't doing her thing, those games wouldn't be competitive. Most of her teammates just don't have the talent to play at the Michigan or UConn level. Many of their points come from Caitlin's brilliant passes. Caitlin elevates the team to at least make it interesting and undeniably fun to watch.

Above, someone made the statement about 'players like Clark and Horston.' The general point had merit, but Jordan can only dream of being a player like Caitlin.

How wonderful it is to have Paige, Azzi, Caroline & Co. to watch and cheer for.... on the Huskies' nights off, it's not a bad alternative to check out an Iowa game.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I don't know where or how your percentages were calculated, but they are wrong! Caitlin shot:
48.3 FG (14 out of 29) the breakdown is 46.1 3s (6 for 13) and 50.0 2s (8 for 16)
85.7 FT (12 for 14)

How in the world did you come up with her making 29 shots out of a total 67? That's mind-blowing!
Caitlin took 29 of the team's 67 shot attempts (43.3%), and 8 of the team's 16 three-point attempts (50%).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom