Shoni Schimmel Rejoins NY Liberty | The Boneyard

Shoni Schimmel Rejoins NY Liberty

Reaction Score
“I needed a break, going from high school to college to the pros,” Schimmel said, who went on to explain that she basically suspended herself.

Although it was likely a very tough choice to make, it seems the time away allowed Schimmel to fully recover from a concussion and properly grieve the passing of her grandmother — enabling a freer return to basketball.

“I’m definitely ready to compete and am in shape,” Schimmel said. “I’m more excited to play then [sic] I’ve been in a while.”

Hope she is "fully recovered from a concussion," "ready to compete," and "in shape.” She's fun to watch when she's a "player."

Of course I suppose she must first 'make the team.'

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am sorry but I think this is a step back. The Liberty are supposed to have a defensive philosophy and I do not see her fitting into that culture even if she is at her peak.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Regardless, she's a "good" story. I will be rooting for her, but first and foremost, she needs to take fitness seriously. I wonder if her "in shape" differs from New York's "in shape". There's always room for a scorer in the league, but it seems some players need to realize that the intensity and effort needed to succeed ratchets up in the pros...

Reaction Score
Regardless, she's a "good" story. I will be rooting for her, but first and foremost, she needs to take fitness seriously. I wonder if her "in shape" differs from New York's "in shape". There's always room for a scorer in the league, but it seems some players need to realize that the intensity and effort needed to succeed ratchets up in the pros...

Not only is she a scorer, but was one of the more impressive facilitators I’ve ever seen.

Reaction Score
I don't particularly care for her, but will not deny her skills. Hope it works out for her against everyone but the Sparks. Go Sparks!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I was looking at the schedule. I see that Dallas vs NY at Mohegan Sun Arena on Monday.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Shoni stepping away to take a sabbatical if she felt she needed one. When she left, she was a shell of the player she was her senior year at Louisville, and she appeared to be a tad bit out of shape. Kudos to her for having the wisdom and fortitude to do so.

Think of her what you will, but she was a dynamic player and scorer that had more moves than a box of Ex lax. Some of her passes (and baskets) made us shake our head wondering............ how'd she do that? :eek:

I'm a Liberty fan, so you know I like this. I look forward to her return this season, and wish her all the best. I hope her addition to the roster translates into additional wins. I'm hoping she will form a bond/connection with Ms. Kiah (Stokes), and racks up a ton of assists passing her the ball on the block for some easy baskets.

Thanks JavaMan. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Shoni stepping away to take a sabbatical if she felt she needed one. When she left, she was a shell of the player she was her senior year at Louisville, and she appeared to be a tad bit out of shape. Kudos to her for having the wisdom and fortitude to do so.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks JavaMan. :)
I totally agree about her taking a sabbatical from basketball, because it seemed that she was playing for the wrong reasons and not really enjoying the game. She often seemed totally disconnected with her teammates. I felt that perhaps if she became more involved in her Native American heritage and culture it would be the best thing for her. She seemed to often represent the exact opposite of what her culture values and teaches. I remember she mentioned her desire to connect or reconnect with her culture when she quit. Perhaps her fame as a Native American connected with an elder who helped her recognize her spiritual void.

What seemed to fuel her game was anger and a chip on her shoulder rather than the love of the game. As that can manifest in a game fueled by ego, it is not long term. Motivations fueled by anger eventually results in us becoming our own worst enemy. S. It is very possible that she is returning to play the game for the right reason at this time. In the big picture of things, whether she becomes successful in her basketball career again is secondary to her finding herself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom