Shoemate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Is he going to play tonight? Haven't seen anything mentioned

Reaction Score
Don't know if he is, but we could sure use about 10 carries from him through the A Gap to bust some heads.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He is supposedly ready to go... but then again, he supposedly was last week, too!

Reaction Score
It's not just, or maybe even primarily, about him getting carries. It's about him being more able to pass protect and come out of the backfield and catch the ball than McCombs is. Having him back would be a huge, huge plus whether or not he comes our primary ballcarrier.

mets1090

Reaction Score
A few good runs by him coupled with ball security could go a long way towards flipping a lot of people's perceptions on this season.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
According to the Connecticut Post, he's scheduled to play: "Shoemate (ankle) is expected to finally make his 2011 debut against the Cyclones." He could really help if he does play.
Link

Reaction Score
I agree. Although I don't think we can depend solely on runs from McCombs even though he is giving us a lot. But the other aspects of the position are not there like the blocking, pass catching and straight-ahead running. I think the addition of Shoemate will give us much more help in the passing and running game than improvement by McCombs alone. I t remains to be seen whether he can rip off big gains in this offense but if he can help the passing game get on track that will be a tremendous help. If McCombs had caught those passes he dropped that would have been a very positive dimension. I'm pretty sure we will see him since he seems to have done well in practice.

Reaction Score
I think we need to be a little careful knocking McCombs, as some people have been doing. Goes down too easily, and so forth. Just to give it a little perspective, as a freshman, todman had 47 carries for 300 yeards. McCombs has already carried the ball 51 times for 250. He hasn't had a donald Brown or an Andre Dixon carring any part of the load. I doubt that Pasquolni expected to have his frosh running back carry that kind of load. Adding Shoemate to the backfield will be a big help I think. Provides a little change of pace and maybe some power down by the goal line. As the Ghost would likely put it, the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. When you're inside the 5 you don't need to be fancy. Just power run it between the tackles.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I haven't bashed McCombs. I just don't think he can handle a full load at this point. Neither could Todman his freshman year

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Shoemate may be able to put up nice combine numbers (size, strength, speed) but he is not a RB. He has poor vision (could not find the hole on any of his first three carries) and his ball security is atrocious.

I would make him a fullback or possibly an H-back.

Reaction Score
Shoemate may be able to put up nice combine numbers (size, strength, speed) but he is not a RB. He has poor vision (could not find the hole on any of his first three carries) and his ball security is atrocious.

I would make him a fullback or possibly an H-back.

+1.

Just more evidence that the recruiting sites / star system is garbage. You get 4 stars for being an athlete, not a football player. Hopefully we can get some value out of Shoemate blocking in the backfield or catching screen / swing passes.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing. We need a power back and we definitely need a back to spell McCombs. There is every indication that DJ's inability to hold onto the ball is chronic and I don't know how you can put the ball in his hands any more.

McCombs has some talent and a big heart. What he does not have is the size to break tackles nor the physical make-up to carry the ball as often as he is (nor does Foxx for that matter). Huge, huge issue. In that light, the loss of Frey this season was borderline devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom