Shocker- Mark Mitchell out at Ohio St | The Boneyard

Shocker- Mark Mitchell out at Ohio St

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I guess his 4-year scholarship has expired.

Reaction Score
yes why would this be such a shocker.... kelsey is gone he is no longer useful

Reaction Score

I'm fairly confident the thread title of "Shocker" was a purposeful understatement intended to point out the obvious. It gave me a chuckle!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
1anjib.jpg

What took so long? Can McGuff be far behind?

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He got 4 years in a nice gig and scholarships for 2 daughters. What was his prior coaching experience?

Reaction Score
He got 4 years in a nice gig and scholarships for 2 daughters. What was his prior coaching experience?
Quite a lot, apparently:

Mark Mitchell Bio :: The Ohio State University :: Official Athletic Site

"Mitchell, who has more than 20 years of coaching experience at the top high school and AAU levels, came to Ohio State after spending the previous 11 years as the boys varsity head coach at Taft High School in Cincinnati, where he amassed a record of 221-50 (.815). Mitchell resurrected the Senator program instantly in his first year, going 22-3 and winning the city championship after inheriting a program coming off 10 consecutive losing seasons. During his tenure at Taft, the Senators won eight Cincinnati Metro Athletic Conference titles, nine sectional and four district titles and a Division III state championship in 2011. For his efforts, he was voted CMAC coach of the year eight times and the Cincinnati Enquirer coach of the year five times.

Prior to his appointment at Taft, Mitchell served as an assistant coach at Winton Woods High School from 2001-03 where he helped the Warriors to a Division I state runner-up finish in 2002. He also was an assistant coach on the All-Ohio Girls basketball team from 2011-13.

Mitchell received his bachelor’s degree in physical education from Eastern Kentucky University in 1990 before earning a Master’s in Education from Marygrove College in Detroit in 2002. While at EKU Mitchell was a four-year letterwinner on the football team as an offensive lineman, helping EKU to two national Division 1-AA semifinal appearances. He earned first team All-Ohio Valley Conference and honorable mention All-America honors in 1989."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Mitchell was a very successful boy's high school basketball coach at Taft HS in Cincinnati. Were he not Kelsey's father he'd still be at Taft or maybe an assistant coach for a men's college program.

Reaction Score
Mitchell isn't the first nor will he be the last to get hired (in any profession by the way....) based on family name and connections. It wasn't so long ago a former women's basketball power whose success declined significantly hired a young, unproven person to lead their program largely based on their last name and family reputation. It didn't work out too well for either party.

All kidding aside, from what I understand it's insanely difficult to get "in" to the college coaching ranks for anyone unless there is some sort of angle, connection, favor called it, or you just get incredibly lucky. There are thousands of very successful high school coaches and smaller college program leaders who never get the chance to interview. I suspect that most D1 ADs know or care little about women's basketball so they likely just go with any hiring recommendation given to them by a head coach or athletic department favor/connection.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm absolutely floored! Mr. Bean is stunned as well!

giphy.gif

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I try, I really do try, not to fall too deeply into cynical depths whenever I take a look at the whole world of sports, but I find it terrifically difficult to avoid that pit when seeing this kind of stuff at Division I universities. The pieties about "scholar athletes," and amateur status, and building character. Pro sports and pro athletes, at least, are up front about their essential motives— $$$ and self-promotion.

Reaction Score
I think I have greater disdain for McGuff who sold his soul, and got .... 0 Elite 8s and 2 sweet 16 appearances.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I think I have greater disdain for McGuff who sold his soul, and got .... 0 Elite 8s and 2 sweet 16 appearances.

Andy Landers did the same thing with Tasha Humphrey and her mother. Humphreys was in the high school class of 2004.

Humphrey had given a silent verbal to Duke and Gail Goestenkors. The scuttlebutt was that Landers made some comments about Humphrey's mother and job security (he had hired Tasha's mother right when Humphrey emerged as a top high school recruit). A few days after that silent verbal to Duke, Humphrey announced her commitment to Georgia.

Humphrety and UGA made three Sweet 16s in four years (losing in the 2nd Round in her senior season). Zero Final Four appearances. Zero Elite Eights.

Reaction Score
What I read is he resigned to pursue other opportunities.... and from reading his bio he certainly is a qualified coach in every regard, and he had a lot of irons in the fire besides High School before moving on to Ohio State. Can an NCAA coach dabble in AAU or is that forbidden? I can see where he might what to leave. Chelsea Mitchell is still on the roster... is there a relationship there?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Andy Landers did the same thing with Tasha Humphrey and her mother. Humphreys was in the high school class of 2004.
Humphrey had given a silent verbal to Duke and Gail Goestenkors. The scuttlebutt was that Landers made some comments about Humphrey's mother and job security (he had hired Tasha's mother right when Humphrey emerged as a top high school recruit). A few days after that silent verbal to Duke, Humphrey announced her commitment to Georgia.
Humphrety and UGA made three Sweet 16s in four years (losing in the 2nd Round in her senior season). Zero Final Four appearances. Zero Elite Eights.
BTW in the tradition of the Mitchell's the same thing is going on at with the Carr's at Kansas State. Chris Carr was a former NBA player who up until 2015 had only coached at the high school level. Around that same time 2015 Chris's daughter Christina Carr began to make some noise (top 15) as a HS player and USA basketball tryouts where she was besties with former UCONN player AEH. Carr was hired by KSU to be Director of Student-Athlete Development in 2016 and promoted to assistant coach a year later upon the commitment of his daughter to KSU-ya think?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Is there any way he can still be eligible, as a "graduate" transfer, to coach another year at some other school?
Does he have anymore children?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom