Shock the World: UConn Basketball in the Calhoun Era | The Boneyard

Shock the World: UConn Basketball in the Calhoun Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting. Probably worth checking out. By the way can anyone tell me the name of that other book written by a UConn student about the 2010-2011 season?

Reaction Score
Interesting. Probably worth checking out. By the way can anyone tell me the name of that other book written by a UConn student about the 2010-2011 season?

The Unlikeliest Champion: The Incredible Story of the 2011 UConn Huskies and Their Run to the College Basketball National Championship [Paperback]
by Aaron Torres $14.99

Amazon Link

I have this book, but haven't gotten around to it yet, so can't offer an opinion on it....
The book linked by the OP looks interesting - I'll have to add that to my Amazon list.:)

Reaction Score
I am nowadays reading books electronically. And will get this if in Kindle format (Android). Thanks Art for the link which I will buy. Crazy that I still prefer mags and newspapers in print, I think because its not necessary to read them sequentially and could also be portability/discard ease. Electronic books rock!

Reaction Score
The Unlikeliest Champion: The Incredible Story of the 2011 UConn Huskies and Their Run to the College Basketball National Championship [Paperback]
by Aaron Torres $14.99

Amazon Link

I have this book, but haven't gotten around to it yet, so can't offer an opinion on it....
The book linked by the OP looks interesting - I'll have to add that to my Amazon list.:)
Thanks. Ive been wanting to read this

Reaction Score
by Aaron Torres $14.99

Amazon Link

I have a Kindle Fire and was thinking of purchasing the e-book version of this. The other book listed in the OP sounds great as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am nowadays reading books electronically. And will get this if in Kindle format (Android). Thanks Art for the link which I will buy. Crazy that I still prefer mags and newspapers in print, I think because its not necessary to read them sequentially and could also be portability/discard ease. Electronic books rock!

I haven't made the jump yet. I like the feel of holding a book and I wonder if there are any eye fatigue issue. You like it better than a book? Do you have a dedicated reader or are you using your phone?

Reaction Score
I use Kindle on my iPad. I have bought lots of ebooks for it but I find that i get too distracted by my ipad to do any serious reading.

Reaction Score
I haven't made the jump yet. I like the feel of holding a book and I wonder if there are any eye fatigue issue. You like it better than a book? Do you have a dedicated reader or are you using your phone?

Use my tablet with Kindle for the Android. There are other e-readers out there.

I read about an hour or so and usually at night. There are different background settings (black/white text, tan/black text, etc.) which help. Books are nice but the size and trying to read in bed requires lighting. With a wife sleeping next to me I surely don't want her waking up cranky having interrupted sleep. Lastly there have been some huge books I have been trying to read for years but the sheer number of pages always were intimidating for me. This issue is solved with Kindle on my tablet as I have never been disciplined enough to read 1000+ pages unless I skim certain parts. However that is one drawback of Kindle books in that you can't flip through pages/chapters that you may feel are not essential for understanding the story.

As for eye fatigue I spend too much time on a computer nowadays anyway so the electronic book is just an extension for me. Which may be the reason I require reading glasses nowadays.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I used to feel this way, but a few years ago I bought an e-ink Kindle (not a Fire/Nook color which use a regular LCD display.) The e-Ink based readers are, to me, basically identical to reading a book. No eye strain, etc. It is absolutely unlike reading a computer screen. They are black & white, no color. It looks just like a printed page. I'd recommend really any of the e-ink based displays (some nooks, sony reader, kindle, etc) whole heartedly.

The "disadvantage" is that e-ink displays aren't back lit.. so you need a light on or a book light... but that's actually the plus to me.

I really love the fact that I don't have a thousand paperbacks I need to figure out what to do with. No one wants them... and the used book stores I'd go to would only take about half and I hated the idea of killing trees when I didn't have to.

I have a kindle Fire which is just an Android tablet... and I love that for magazines... basically anything glossy/color.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I'll Never forget that Taliek shot! It was meant to be! BET

Reaction Score
Hello:
Love the cover. Taliek's epic heave from 30 ft in the 2002 Big East Championship game against Pitt.

Thank you for the compliments on the cover of the book ... but it wasn't my first choice. Below, you will see the picture I wanted, but my publisher wanted more action.

Peter Burns

Attachments

• Calhoun Pic.jpg
    Calhoun Pic.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 37
Reaction Score
Hello:

Thank you for the compliments on the cover of the book ... but it wasn't my first choice. Below, you will see the picture I wanted, but my publisher wanted more action.

Peter Burns

Thank you for writing this wonderful book! Can't wait to read it!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard, Peter! Great screen name!

Reaction Score
yada yada. So any complete reviews?? or another piece of senitimental horesh!t??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I use Kindle on my iPad. I have bought lots of ebooks for it but I find that i get too distracted by my ipad to do any serious reading.
Use my tablet with Kindle for the Android. There are other e-readers out there.

I read about an hour or so and usually at night. There are different background settings (black/white text, tan/black text, etc.) which help. Books are nice but the size and trying to read in bed requires lighting. With a wife sleeping next to me I surely don't want her waking up cranky having interrupted sleep. Lastly there have been some huge books I have been trying to read for years but the sheer number of pages always were intimidating for me. This issue is solved with Kindle on my tablet as I have never been disciplined enough to read 1000+ pages unless I skim certain parts. However that is one drawback of Kindle books in that you can't flip through pages/chapters that you may feel are not essential for understanding the story.

As for eye fatigue I spend too much time on a computer nowadays anyway so the electronic book is just an extension for me. Which may be the reason I require reading glasses nowadays.
I used to feel this way, but a few years ago I bought an e-ink Kindle (not a Fire/Nook color which use a regular LCD display.) The e-Ink based readers are, to me, basically identical to reading a book. No eye strain, etc. It is absolutely unlike reading a computer screen. They are black & white, no color. It looks just like a printed page. I'd recommend really any of the e-ink based displays (some nooks, sony reader, kindle, etc) whole heartedly.

The "disadvantage" is that e-ink displays aren't back lit.. so you need a light on or a book light... but that's actually the plus to me.

I really love the fact that I don't have a thousand paperbacks I need to figure out what to do with. No one wants them... and the used book stores I'd go to would only take about half and I hated the idea of killing trees when I didn't have to.

I have a kindle Fire which is just an Android tablet... and I love that for magazines... basically anything glossy/color.
Thanks, my library has some that be taken out like a book. I think I'll try on out.

Reaction Score
Here's some more on the book and I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Attachments

• Burns_ShockWorld_qf.jpg
    Burns_ShockWorld_qf.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Will there be a Kindle version? I have gone fully electronic now. I would get it for the Kindle.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the mention of the book. I grew up in Ansonia and my two favorite college teams were Yale football because of my grandfather and UConn basketball because of my uncle. I was born in 1970, so my first memories of UConn basketball were not all that great. The team got destroyed by Georgetown, St. John’s, Villanova, and Syracuse and it wasn’t very good against the other Big East teams either. I was shocked by the 1990 season and the first Big East championships.

I live in New Orleans and after Katrina I needed to get my mind off all the devastation here. I decided to write a book about something I knew and something I loved: UConn basketball.
After more than seven years, the book is about to come out. It includes all the great games, players, and moments in the Calhoun era and I discuss how Calhoun changed UConn, college basketball, the university, and the state. I interviewed a ton of people, including Ray Allen, Kemba Walker, Ben Gordon, Donyell Marshall, Emeka Okafor, Rip Hamilton, Khalid El-Amin … and more.

Let me know any questions you have about the book and I would be happy to answer them.
Here is more about the book.

Attachments

• Burns_ShockWorld_qf.jpg
    Burns_ShockWorld_qf.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Reaction Score

Shock the World: UConn Basketball in the Calhoun Era will be available as an e-book. It will be on Kindle and Nook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom