Shock in Storrs | The Boneyard

Shock in Storrs

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You can talk about match ups, whose gotta do this and whose gotta do that. Bottom line is neither team can change things up that much in a couple of days. They will execute their game plan and that will be it. As the game progresses the coaches will make adjustments. One thing that can change is confidence. Confidence can breed momentum and that will happen if somebody(s) gets hot.

I do expect a score in the 60's. That should mean a controlled game by the guards, and good shots taken and rebounding. UConn is young and Oregon relys on upperclassman. This game will be a battle. For those who are concerned about UConn dont be. UConn has grown since being down 1 pt to Baylor in the 4th qtr. UConn is at another level now. Baylor Tenn and Team USA are respondsible for UConn being much better then they were. With that said Oregon is a very good balanced team. This game will be one we wont forget. I expect Anna Griff and Liv to score unlike the Baylor game where they were something like 1/14. This could be the difference. I also expect UConn to shaddow Oregons 3 pt shooting as Oregon recently has not shot the trey very well. Its going to be Shock in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I like what you say. However, I really believe that this year, UConn is outgunned and outclassed by Oregon. It would be nice to see the Team rise to occasion and defeat Oregon, but it will have to bring its double AA ++++++ game. Based on the turnovers and the difficulty scoring layups, foul shots and playing tough teams, I do not know. Practical reality tells me, this is going to be a difficult game for UConn after watching Oregon play a couple of times.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It all depends. If good Christyn shows up and Ania's shots are falling, we win. If we go 3/18 on 3's, as we have done on occasion, and ONO picks up a couple of quick fouls, it ain't gonna be fun. Actually, of course, WE'RE DOOOOOOMED!!!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I also expect UConn to shaddow Oregons 3 pt shooting as Oregon recently has not shot the trey very well. Its going to be Shock in Storrs.

I know this might sound like Debbie Downersville - but doesn't it seem to happen too often that individual players/teams that don't normally shoot 3's very well go lights out against us? I'm not being critical of our defense because I think we do that as well as anybody in the country.

Just seems like folks rise up to the occasion when they see UConn jerseys facing them.

Beyond that, I love Tony's optimism!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have heard that UConn needs to bring their "A" game...that all the players on UConn need to bring their "A "game. And, I agree with those sentiments...however, I have a caveat that I would like to add to this antecedent: I think Oregon and its players need to bring their "A" game as well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Probably should be more worried about Oregon's 2 point FG than 3 pointers. Shooting a decent .373 behind the arc (average 9 made 3's per game) but shooting .505 overall. That's gotta be among the national leaders. I can all but guarantee that UConn hasn't played anyone this year (or any time recently) who works the pick and roll as well as Oregon does.

Looked it up, Oregon was .008 behind Baylor for best shooting team in the country, but that was before today's game and the Ducks upped their average a bit.

Reaction Score
It all depends. If good Christyn shows up and Ania's shots are falling, we win. If we go 3/18 on 3's, as we have done on occasion, and ONO picks up a couple of quick fouls, it ain't gonna be fun. Actually, of course, WE'RE DOOOOOOMED!!!
Good Christyn shows up Monday. That's what she does (you know - "This is why we came here").

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This ones tough for me. After everything we have seen from UConn and Oregon this year, I could see scenarios where UConn pulls out a tight win or a scenario where Oregon wins by 20+. Bottom line, win or lose, this should be a stepping stone to UConn getting better for tournament time. I want to see a competitive game.

Reaction Score
I agree with Tony that some combo of Anna,Griff or Liv will be a big difference maker in this tuffer,(tougher),than usual encounter with Oregon.I would expect Liv to have a better than expected game against the bigs of Oregon. To borrow a phrase from Ms. Bueckers,"She be on the come up" and you know she's special when she gets the super bowl named after her.Go Liv on Monday night.

Reaction Score
After watching this Uconn team play in each game this year I offer the following conclusions - 1. We must have a very good to a great game by Christyn Williams. 2. Ono must hold her own and then some against the Oregon front line. 3. Whoever Geno decides to put on Sabrina must play their best defense of the year. 4. Chrystal must be more careful with her passes. 5. Megan has to sacrifice some of her scoring in order to help Ono with rebounding, and 6. Any outside shooter must have the opportunity to set themselves before shooting even if this means passing up a shot to someone who is more open. I realize that I am reiterating much of what has already been said but basketball is a fundamental game and that's the way me should play it.

Reaction Score
It's a big opponent but not not a very big game. Unlike the games in March both teams will continue to play, win or lose. And both teams will either be 1 or 2 seeds and this year that doesn't seem to be much different.
Like someone above quoted, games like this are a big reason why players go to UConn. The pressure isn't on one player to have a great game, it's on the whole team to not only trust themselves but to trust their team mates, which is something they forgot late in the Baylor game.
If they try and stop Ionescu she'll find wide open team mates. As long as they make her work hard, either as a scorer or a facilitator they can win. UConn needs to score points. Oregon isn't nearly as good at defense as they are at offense. And this is their third city in 5 or 6 days.

If UConn allows a lot of easy points and misses a bunch of layups they won't win. I expect them to play a lot better than that.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And both teams will either be 1 or 2 seeds

I may be crazy, but if UConn doesn't win at least 1 of their 2 games against Oregon and South Carolina, I'm not convinced they'll be a 2 seed. They'll have wins over DePaul and Tennessee. Most of their OOC wins are not aging well, and the AAC is worse than usual this season. I'm not convinced that's enough.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn needs a lot of things to go their way to stay in this game. There is a wide gap in the two teams offenses.

Reaction Score
I may be crazy, but if UConn doesn't win at least 1 of their 2 games against Oregon and South Carolina, I'm not convinced they'll be a 2 seed. They'll have wins over DePaul and Tennessee. Most of their OOC wins are not aging well, and the AAC is worse than usual this season. I'm not convinced that's enough.

You are right about the lack of top wins but they only had one year. Added to that is that they don't have any bad losses (yet) while I can't find 8 other teams without at least one. In any case a 2 or a 3 is little different. 2's fave 3's in the regional semis and UConn is historically better in the second game of the last 2 rounds. I'd rather face Stanford when Tara has had one day to prepare than if she has 5.
I can't think of a single title year when UConn wouldn't have still won (as long as they stayed in the same region). As a 3 seed you play a 6 seed in the second round opposed to an 8. If you can't beat a 6 you don't deserve to be a 2 or a 1. You are what you are. Now in the E8 game, facing a 1 can be a lot tougher than a 2 or 3 in most years but this year it looks like the teams that are peaking in March won't necessarily be the 1 seeds. In 2013 Baylor looked like a sure thing for the FF if not the title (in February) and nobody this year looks as good as that team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
In any case a 2 or a 3 is little different.

Agreed

Might vary from year to year whether the committee puts more emphasis on quality of wins or not having any bad losses.

Reaction Score
UConn needs a lot of things to go their way to stay in this game. There is a wide gap in the two teams offenses.

Oregon has scored in the 60's more times than not against the better teams and most of those were on the road. As spotty as UConn's offense has been at times they are more than capable of scoring 70 against anyone.

Louis - 62
@ASU - 66
@Ariz - 64
@OSU - 66

What Oregon has is experience. Four of UConn's 7 man rotation are underclassmen. But they are home at Gampel while Oregon is in their third city in 5 or 6 days, much like those pros were at Oregon.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Oregon has scored in the 60's more times than not against the better teams and most of those were on the road. As spotty as UConn's offense has been at times they are more than capable of scoring 70 against anyone.

70 isn't going to win this game. And UConn has scored 60 and 58 against the two best defenses they've faced.

Reaction Score
70 isn't going to win this game. And UConn has scored 60 and 58 against the two best defenses they've faced.

I agree. But despite having the No 1 offense on Massey to UConn's No. 10, Oregon's defense is ranked 19th while UConn's is 8th.

Oregon won't be the best defense the Huskies have faced. Massey has Oregon a 3 pt favorite 74-71. Massey doesn't factor in that Oregon is playing their 3rd road game in 3 cities in 5 or 6 days. Oregon can play magnificent offense but they didn't at ASU. In the 4th period they were outscored 30-14.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You are not crazy. (At least not on this count.) I've been saying the same thing all season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom