Shea Ralph explains the difference between UConn and TN | The Boneyard

Shea Ralph explains the difference between UConn and TN

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice retrospective article on the 2000 season win over TN foe championship #2

"We ran better offense than they played defense.” :cool:

Also some interesting insight by Shea about her choosing to return for a final season instead of entering the WNBA draft as a sure fire 1st round pick

Reaction Score
I rewatched the 2000 NC game against Tennessee. I had forgotten how great a player Ralph was. Her defense was as good from a guard as I have ever seen. She was really a fearless player and could rebound as well. The starting 5 in the game was Kelly Schumacher, Abrosimova, Ralph, Cash and Bird with Ashja Jones and Tamika Williams coming in as subs in the front court. Geno full court pressed Tennessee had Tameka Randall and Kara Lawson handling the ball but it didn't matter. They doubled everybody and rotated even when the ball got past half court. It was a total crush. They avenged their only loss that year to Tennessee 72-71 at Gampel on February 2. I know we always talk about Bird and D as the greatest college backcourt ever but Bird and Ralph may have been a solid second. I also think that game offers clues about next year. With the depth Geno had, he pressed a great Vols team( they also had Tamika Catchings who was the POY) very successfully. I think you will see a full court press next year because of his depth and because it is a great way to get new players experience. Paige, Nika and Mir as guards will join Evina, Anna, Audrey and CW in the press in the back and mid court. He also had a lot of different combinations in the front court on offense in the NC game in 2000 which I think you will see a lot of this year. Amazing that Shea wanted to play with Diana and that is why she stayed. She was and still is UCONN through and through.

Reaction Score
I rewatched the 2000 NC game against Tennessee. I had forgotten how great a player Ralph was. Her defense was as good from a guard as I have ever seen. She was really a fearless player and could rebound as well. The starting 5 in the game was Kelly Schumacher, Abrosimova, Ralph, Cash and Bird with Ashja Jones and Tamika Williams coming in as subs in the front court. Geno full court pressed Tennessee had Tameka Randall and Kara Lawson handling the ball but it didn't matter. They doubled everybody and rotated even when the ball got past half court. It was a total crush. They avenged their only loss that year to Tennessee 72-71 at Gampel on February 2. I know we always talk about Bird and D as the greatest college backcourt ever but Bird and Ralph may have been a solid second. I also think that game offers clues about next year. With the depth Geno had, he pressed a great Vols team( they also had Tamika Catchings who was the POY) very successfully. I think you will see a full court press next year because of his depth and because it is a great way to get new players experience. Paige, Nika and Mir as guards will join Evina, Anna, Audrey and CW in the press in the back and mid court. He also had a lot of different combinations in the front court on offense in the NC game in 2000 which I think you will see a lot of this year. Amazing that Shea wanted to play with Diana and that is why she stayed. She was and still is UCONN through and through.
Can you find that game on youtube? I'd like to refresh my memory too. Pitty Shae had her injuries...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Actually, her assessment of her own skills was what caught my eye

“It’s not easy to say, ‘What if I had made this decision,’ ” Ralph said. “I think deep down inside I knew I wasn’t going to be a great pro. I’m not downplaying who I was as a player. I worked hard to be a good player. I don’t know if I was built for the professional game. I’d need the right team and system.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nice retrospective article on the 2000 season win over TN foe championship #2

"We ran better offense than they played defense.” :cool:

Also some interesting insight by Shea about her choosing to return for a final season instead of entering the WNBA draft as a sure fire 1st round pick

I love Carl's writing and I love Shea's talking. Perfect together.

Reaction Score
watching the game on youtube. Biggest observation for me is how many front court players thevteam had as compared to recent history... It makes a difference when you have a couple good true PFs. Second observation was I think at least 7 and maybe 8 Huskies played in the first 10 minutes. When was the last time that happened?

I hope next year's team will be more like this one.

Reaction Score
One additional thing, there were a couple times where I had to catch myself that Swin Cash was not Aubrey Griffin. The low long stride running and action at the rim are carbon copies of each other.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually, her assessment of her own skills was what caught my eye

“It’s not easy to say, ‘What if I had made this decision,’ ” Ralph said. “I think deep down inside I knew I wasn’t going to be a great pro. I’m not downplaying who I was as a player. I worked hard to be a good player. I don’t know if I was built for the professional game. I’d need the right team and system.
That's what caught my eye. What also puzzles me is when people on the BY are asked who their favorite player was her name is rarely mentioned. For me Shea and Renee are at the top of my list. Shea would end a game with her body covered in floor burns. No player, UConn or not, could possibly out work her.

Reaction Score
watching the game on youtube. Biggest observation for me is how many front court players thevteam had as compared to recent history... It makes a difference when you have a couple good true PFs. Second observation was I think at least 7 and maybe 8 Huskies played in the first 10 minutes. When was the last time that happened?

I hope next year's team will be more like this one.
Me too. I think it will have similarities and like I said, I think Geno is going to full court press. You are exactly right about the front court players. The difference with next year and 2000 of course besides the great backcourt is that Swin, Jones and Williams ( I believe #2, 4 and 6 in the WNBA draft) were very advanced sophomores as compared to freshmen next year. Ashja Jones as a sophomore made the All-Tourney Team coming off the bench and she was a great all around player. It was a relentless pounding under the boards and their interior defense was unreal. We have not had real interior power and depth since 2016. It is definitely coming soon though and no wonder Geno is excited about next year. We are too!

Reaction Score
Just wondering if one day she will be h/c at uconn in say 2027 ...I know its pure speculation but what do people think/want?

Reaction Score
Just wondering if one day she will be h/c at uconn in say 2027 ...I know its pure speculation but what do people think/want?
I think Shea would do a great job. But I'd love Lobo to coach Uconn. She has such a brand for WCBB and I think kids today they gravitate towards seeing an icon walk into a living room with her class and recruit the top players.

Reaction Score
When my nephew was young and into sports he would sometimes be discouraged and not work as hard as he could. His Grandpa took him to a UCWBB game. He told him to watch Shea Ralph. "See not just the skill, but the determination, effort, and more effort? That is how you have to play!"

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think Shea would do a great job. But I'd love Lobo to coach Uconn. She has such a brand for WCBB and I think kids today they gravitate towards seeing an icon walk into a living room with her class and recruit the top players.
Lobo has already said that she is not into coaching because it would take away the time she enjoys with the family, especially the kids. I believe that if Shea wants to be the head coach at UConn after Geno and CD stop coaching she will get the job.

Reaction Score
CD is next in line but she will probably leave with Geno unless it is sooner rather than later. Geno has a lot to look forward to these next four to five years. There is no doubt in my mind that Shea will be a great head coach someday. She was a great player which she explained in the article had more to do with hard work than pure talent. That means to me that she learned the game whether from others or by self practice from the bottom up. That means she can teach it because she learned it, it wasn't just a natural gift. She also had several bad breaks as a player and even though she got her one NC, she clearly has the ongoing desire to be the best. She was a heady player as a guard too, making the better pass when it was there and just a great defender. Plus, she has been under Geno's wing for a long time now and there is a reason several of his coaches have great success. To me, it's more about fit than anything else. Look just recently at Carla at Princeton and Marissa at Boston U. I never thought that Jamelle was a good fit at the Bearcats. She was too talented and used to a higher level of player for there. I attribute a big part of this year's turnaround in our team to her arrival. She was very encouraging and forceful and Liv really benefited from her, as did our defense. But, the fit has to be right. When it is, the Geno clones are pretty outstanding and will give us a long linage of great coaches, Shea included. It goes back I think to what D and Lobo both have said at different times- you can just tell who the UCONN players are wherever you go.

Reaction Score
In 2002 I watched the Springfield Spirit team, with Shea, Kara, Rebecca, and maybe Rita Williams, play a scrimmage at Smith College, Northampton, Ma. During the scrimmage Shea went down, with what might have been her last ACL injury. It was awful to see it happen again to her, as she was in so much pain, and hobbled out of the gym. I never knew for sure if it was a tear, but to see her hurt in a meaningless scrimmage was terrible.

Reaction Score
Shea could have easily been one of the best of all-time if not for the chronic knee injuries. She had it all - highest level of talent, work ethic tenacity, and strong will to win. She was playing at a "different level" when she was healthy.

Reaction Score
I want to know who the Assistant Coach is going to be when Geno and CD retire. I also believe Shea is the front runner for head coach but who takes over for C.D. Geno said in an interview that if CD left him during those early years after they had a big argument, he probably would have ended up driving a truck in Philly. So her importance has not gone unnoticed by Geno so who takes her place. I need to know. So when anyone has the answer I would appreciate you sharing it with us. Thanks :)

Reaction Score
In 2002 I watched the Springfield Spirit team, with Shea, Kara, Rebecca, and maybe Rita Williams, play a scrimmage at Smith College, Northampton, Ma. During the scrimmage Shea went down, with what might have been her last ACL injury. It was awful to see it happen again to her, as she was in so much pain, and hobbled out of the gym. I never knew for sure if it was a tear, but to see her hurt in a meaningless scrimmage was terrible.

Don’t know about this, but I know she torn her ACL while walking her dog.

Reaction Score
That's what caught my eye. What also puzzles me is when people on the BY are asked who their favorite player was her name is rarely mentioned. For me Shea and Renee are at the top of my list. Shea would end a game with her body covered in floor burns. No player, UConn or not, could possibly out work her.
Jordy, I have always felt that Shea, not Rebecca was our first truly national recruit. While Rebecca was well known in the East and especially New England, Shea was being recruited by every school from Stanford to Tennessee, to Boston College. Also, she had an amazing career considering two very traumatic ACL injuries. She got as much if not more than any player who has ever put on a Uconn uniform.

Reaction Score
I want to know who the Assistant Coach is going to be when Geno and CD retire. I also believe Shea is the front runner for head coach but who takes over for C.D. Geno said in an interview that if CD left him during those early years after they had a big argument, he probably would have ended up driving a truck in Philly. So her importance has not gone unnoticed by Geno so who takes her place. I need to know. So when anyone has the answer I would appreciate you sharing it with us. Thanks :)
That is going to depend on who the coach will be. If it is a former Uconn player I would bet the house that a former Uconn player will be one of the assistant coachs. Do not overlook Carla Berube. She is making quite a name for herself in a very short time of coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom