Shea Ralph a Rhode Island HC candidate? | The Boneyard

Shea Ralph a Rhode Island HC candidate?

Reaction Score
"Candidate" likely includes some of the ADs wish list.

Though it also wouldn't surprise me if she applied for jobs just for the experience of interviewing, etc. I recall Jamelle interviewed at CCSU before withdrawing her name.

Reaction Score
No way she would take that job. She could've had bigger jobs in the past.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be a step down? (No offense to URI; this is a legitimate question.)

She could get better jobs than this, yes.

The only thing URI has going for it is that it's <2 hours from Lowell, where Shea's husband is the HC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The only thing URI has going for it is that it's <2 hours from Lowell, where Shea's husband is the HC.
She would also be taking the job her husband had. Tom Garrick was the head coach at RI from 2003-2009.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"Candidate" likely includes some of the ADs wish list.

Though it also wouldn't surprise me if she applied for jobs just for the experience of interviewing, etc. I recall Jamelle interviewed at CCSU before withdrawing her name.
Yeah. It looks more like a "Please oh please God" list.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The word in Tennessee is that Holly has already tendered her resignation. If they fail to make the Ladies Cotillion this Monday, look for it to be made public on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
This RI thing is just someone's dream. She can't seriously be considering it.

Reaction Score

Add to that: HC on a resume looks better than assistant. Second part of that: IF/When Geno retires she will have other than Uconn on her resume

Reaction Score
Would Shea even consider leaving at this time due to her baby? I think she stays put at least for the time being.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
in my rational world, top assistants at any Top Echelon program never are given a P5 role without having proved they could actually coach at a less esteemed program save for those programs who usually through their own ineptness hire their own assistant to be head coach (see Holly Warlick, Kevin Ollie). Let’s review Geno’s former assistants as an example- Tanya went to Temple which at the time was in the A10 if memory serves me correctly. And while Dawn had turned that program into a better program than what she inherited, the Owls were not true pedigree. Cincinnati was in the BigEast when they hired Janelle, which while the BE was a premium conference at the time, theBearcats were not. Marisa just left to go to BU in the Patriot League. Again, not a P5 or elite program. URI is in the A10 which has always been a better conference than the Patriot in WCBB. So to disparage the URI job is a bit ignorant in that no one knows what that school is aiming to do with the program. Maybe they want to raise their profile like BU did, and last I checked, URI is right down the road on Route 138 from UConn and considering her husband commutes to Lowell, saying she won’t take a job because it’s “not local” is misguided. Tennessee would be stupid to hire Shea without any HC experience as no one knows what her skill set would be. Going to a non-P5 school who wants to take a drastic step up in profile (HC pay and program commitment) is logical.

Reaction Score
in my rational world, top assistants at any Top Echelon program never are given a P5 role without having proved they could actually coach at a less esteemed program save for those programs who usually through their own ineptness hire their own assistant to be head coach (see Holly Warlick, Kevin Ollie). Let’s review Geno’s former assistants as an example- Tanya went to Temple which at the time was in the A10 if memory serves me correctly. And while Dawn had turned that program into a better program than what she inherited, the Owls were not true pedigree. Cincinnati was in the BigEast when they hired Janelle, which while the BE was a premium conference at the time, theBearcats were not. Marisa just left to go to BU in the Patriot League. Again, not a P5 or elite program. URI is in the A10 which has always been a better conference than the Patriot in WCBB. So to disparage the URI job is a bit ignorant in that no one knows what that school is aiming to do with the program. Maybe they want to raise their profile like BU did, and last I checked, URI is right down the road on Route 138 from UConn and considering her husband commutes to Lowell, saying she won’t take a job because it’s “not local” is misguided. Tennessee would be stupid to hire Shea without any HC experience as no one knows what her skill set would be. Going to a non-P5 school who wants to take a drastic step up in profile (HC pay and program commitment) is logical.

Cori Close - FSU asst to UCLA
Coquese Washington - ND asst to PSU
Tina Thompson - UTexas asst to UVa
Jeff Walz - UM asst to Louisville

and countless others through the years

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Cori Close - FSU asst to UCLA
Coquese Washington - ND asst to PSU
Tina Thompson - UTexas asst to UVa
Jeff Walz - UM asst to Louisville

and countless others through the years
Geno Auriemma - UVa asst to UConn

Reaction Score
MORE than well said. Full agreement. To get the UC job, eventually, should take a resume of winning and other than Uconn experience. We have seen what inbreeding has done to one program (or maybe 2) when the HC anoints a former assistant as head coach. Uconn did that once, I'm sure they learned by their mistakes. So, moving to URI would be a good move 2 ways Hubby and experience outside of Uconn. Go Shea. Family that truly loves their own wants them to fly as high as they can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom