"She Actually Looked Pretty Good" | The Boneyard

"She Actually Looked Pretty Good"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In practice today. Katie Lou that is. :)

UConn's Katie Lou Samuelson Expected To Play Sunday Against Notre Dame

"She’s only played 1 ½ games and she’s a little bit rusty, but she looked pretty good. She’s expecting to play, I’m expecting her to play. So barring anything unforeseen, that’s the plan.”

“Having Lou on the floor kind of changes everything we do,” Auriemma said. “She kind of bridges that gap between our perimeter guys and our inside guys. Right now, we really don’t have anyone else that does that. So when we put her out on the floor, you could see the difference today in practice. Everything was so much cleaner, so much smoother."

“She understands the game probably better than anybody we have. She’s able to stretch the defense better than anybody we have. She probably can create the most mismatches because of who they have to put on her to guard her. And it’s another ball-handler out on the floor that you can always use.”

“Getting her back in the lineup, I think, is a big boost to everyone,” Auriemma said. “Emotionally, physically … all those things.”

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great news. Also a favorable sign, I think, that the talk is about Lou being "rusty" as opposed to, say, being "limited".The interview with Lou did indicate, though, that she is not a definite yet, will be evaluated after practice Saturday and shoot around.

Also, Geno was clear that it isn't happening yet for Batouly. Rats.

If she plays, and it sounds like she will, I hope they get Lou involved early close to the basket, post ups, back cuts, curls. Rust may show more from three point range than from inside. Get a flow going before you start launching the threes.

I will be very curious to see who ND puts on Lou. Possibly Young, but then who covers (that is, tries to cover) Gabby? Tough matchups for both teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great news. Also a favorable sign, I think, that the talk is about Lou being "rusty" as opposed to, say, being "limited".The interview with Lou did indicate, though, that she is not a definite yet, will be evaluated after practice Saturday and shoot around.

Also, Geno was clear that it isn't happening yet for Batouly. Rats.

If she plays, and it sounds like she will, I hope they get Lou involved early close to the basket, post ups, back cuts, curls. Rust may show more from three point range than from inside. Get a flow going before you start launching the threes.

I will be very curious to see who ND puts on Lou. Possibly Young, but then who covers (that is, tries to cover) Gabby? Tough matchups for both teams.

I am anxious to see who Shepard is guarding. UConn's athleticism in the post is going to be tough for her to matchup with. Look for UConn to push pace early and try to run her out of the gym.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
got your wish, Rocky: it's "Video Geno"

Rocky, we're taking up a collection and sending you to thread title school.

Thread.JPG

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am anxious to see who Shepard is guarding. UConn's athleticism in the post is going to be tough for her to matchup with. Look for UConn to push pace early and try to run her out of the gym.
I’m anxious to see who guards Shepard. While it will probably be Z to start the game, I hope Gabby has an opportunity as well. Last year Gabby held Shepard to an abysmal 1-13 shooting game in Lincoln.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In last year’s game Lou schooled Young in the 2nd half driving to the basket multiple times, including once when Young turned her ankle trying to guard Lou and had to leave the game. Young is a much better player this year so it should be interesting if she matches up again with Lou.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The more I hear Geno talk about Lou, the more these things come to mind: #1 overall pick and Olympian.
If she's that good, if not considered one of the "all time greats" like Maya, Stewie and Dee, she would certainly be in the next tier of Tina, Nykesha, Sveta, Sue and Moriah... (or whoever historically is considered 1-A from our past greats)...

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I’m anxious to see who guards Shepard. While it will probably be Z to start the game, I hope Gabby has an opportunity as well. Last year Gabby held Shepard to an abysmal 1-13 shooting game in Lincoln.

If Lou is able to go, I think she will start. Because she is Lou, and also when someone is coming off a foot or ankle injury, don't want them to sit after pregame warmups. XL Center is sold out and if she is introduced at the start, it will be bedlam. So I think Z is coming off the bench but could play 30 minutes.

The matchups in this game are really intriguing. There is no chess piece on the ND side comparable to Gabby. Maybe she covers Shepard. But, I think the player who we absolutely have to keep in check is Ogunbowale. If she is only average, I don't think ND can score enough to win. So we may see a combination of Kia and Gabby on her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Young is a much better player this year so it should be interesting if she matches up again with Lou.

She has taken a leap for sure; I'm thinking Kia as a match up, but who knows. Putting Katie Lou (she hates just Lou) on her may be unwise tomorrow.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She has taken a leap for sure; I'm thinking Kia as a match up, but who knows. Putting Katie Lou (she hates just Lou) on her may be unwise tomorrow.
My understanding is that Katie Lou herself prefers to be called "Lou".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My understanding is that Katie Lou herself prefers to be called "Lou".

Damn, I guess I stand corrected. I recall a video where she expressed a contrary opinion but indicated Lou stuck and she's learned to accept it. But you sent me digging and I found this:

By any name, Katie Lou Samuelson is McDonald's All-American's top gun - MaxPreps

"She prefers Lou to Katie Lou," Karen said. "Especially to those she's closest to. We all call her Lou."

Glad for the education, because Katie Lou is certainly a slow down for Mr. 2 Finger typist. Thanks @oldude

Reaction Score
I am just hoping that she doesn't do anything to injure the foot further. Next I want 10 for 10 on 3's. I too feel she will start if she is playing. Don't know who Shepard will guard but that is a mismatch in our favor, both Gabby and Phessa will go by her for layups.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Damn, I guess I stand corrected. I recall a video where she expressed a contrary opinion but indicated Lou stuck and she's learned to accept it. But you sent me digging and I found this:

By any name, Katie Lou Samuelson is McDonald's All-American's top gun - MaxPreps

"She prefers Lou to Katie Lou," Karen said. "Especially to those she's closest to. We all call her Lou."

Glad for the education, because Katie Lou is certainly a slow down for Mr. 2 Finger typist. Thanks @oldude
It’s good she prefers Lou, because Geno calls her Lou. Her teammates call her Lou, and when she nails a 3 before the home crowd, the fans call her “LOUUUUUUUUU....”

Reaction Score
In last year’s game Lou schooled Young in the 2nd half driving to the basket multiple times, including once when Young turned her ankle trying to guard Lou and had to leave the game. Young is a much better player this year so it should be interesting if she matches up again with Lou.
Last season Lou expanded her scoring ability, this season she is expanding her entire game. By tourney time she will be regarded as the best player in the country. JY may have upped her game but so has Lou!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If she's that good, if not considered one of the "all time greats" like Maya, Stewie and Dee, she would certainly be in the next tier of Tina, Nykesha, Sveta, Sue and Moriah... (or whoever historically is considered 1-A from our past greats)...
After the exhibition games and 1.5 games that counted, I though that was Lou's trajectory. I hope she gets back there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom