OT: - Shamet Declares with Agent | The Boneyard

OT: Shamet Declares with Agent

Reaction Score
The Wichita State add has worked out about as poorly as possible all things considered.

Reaction Score
The Wichita State add has worked out about as poorly as possible all things considered.

Not even remotely true.

I believe this was the first time in Shockers history they were ranked from beginning of the season to the end. Granted, they got upset in the tourney, like a lot of teams, but their monster ratings games with Cincinnati (for the regular season championship) are going to be great for the upcoming television negotiations. It's a long term stock that gives the conference one of the most high profile coaches in college basketball for likely a long time. I don't see the Koch Brothers support waning anytime soon. The Shocks are a legit brand name.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a shocker.

I really did think he’d be back.

Reaction Score
Not even remotely true.

I believe this was the first time in Shockers history they were ranked from beginning of the season to the end. Granted, they got upset in the tourney, like a lot of teams, but their monster ratings games with Cincinnati (for the regular season championship) are going to be great for the upcoming television negotiations. It's a long term stock that gives the conference one of the most high profile coaches in college basketball for likely a long time. I don't see the Koch Brothers support waning anytime soon. The Shocks are a legit brand name.

We knew they were going to have a good team this year when we added them. That was one of the main reasons we added them. They finished 8th on KenPom last year, returned basically all their players, and then finished 20th this year. Now they'll lose their three leading scorers, including a game-changing point guard with two years of eligibility who some thought would be the heir to the Baker/van Vleet throne.

I'm not even questioning the decision to add them. I'm saying this is the worst case scenario for what we could have expected from that move, short-term, at the beginning.

Reaction Score
We knew they were going to have a good team this year when we added them. That was one of the main reasons we added them. They finished 8th on KenPom last year, returned basically all their players, and then finished 20th this year. Now they'll lose their three leading scorers, including a game-changing point guard with two years of eligibility who some thought would be the heir to the Baker/van Vleet throne.

I'm not even questioning the decision to add them. I'm saying this is the worst case scenario for what we could have expected from that move, short-term, at the beginning.
They’ll still be good next year. It’s been 7 years since Marshall didn’t have a top 30 team. Reaves and McDuffie will be very big threats. They’re a lot more consistent than anyone else, so I don’t think we have the right to complain.
050DC7DC-0CE7-4EF3-A89C-AFBCE476941D.jpeg

Reaction Score
They’ll still be good next year. It’s been 7 years since Marshall didn’t have a top 30 team. Reaves and McDuffie will be very big threats. They’re a lot more consistent than anyone else, so I don’t think we have the right to complain.
View attachment 30258

Yeah, I'm certainly not writing them off. Marshall is a brilliant coach who will have that team in the mix for as long as he's there, and they were a deep team last season that is better built to withstand some attrition than most.

Having them ranked in the top ten would obviously be better, though, which is where it looked like they might reside for a while when we made the move. Of course, if UConn and Memphis can get back on track, the league will be just fine.

Reaction Score
It's funny you pulled 8 years, since that's how many years Hurley has been a coach.

Hurley hasn't had a better offense than Marshall any single year (and his best offensive year was 0.2 better than Marshall's worst over the 8 years). Hurley's defense has also been on average 5 points per 100 possessions worse than Marshall's.

God Marshall is such a good coach. Why don't we have Koch money?

The silver lining is that Marshall was a Head Coach for 9 years before this stretch. Over his first 8 years (most of which was at Winthrop), his offense averaged 102.51 (to Hurley's 105.65) and defense 100.45 (to Hurley's 98.68), so Hurley actually had better numbers in both categories. Of course, 6 years at Winthrop is a lot worse than 2 years at Wagner, and Hurley had more years post-rebuild at his better school in the 8 year sample.

Still, I've re-assured myself in this space of this comment that Hurley can do some great things with our resources.

Reaction Score
wichita will be fine, they like to recruit 3-4 stars with potential because Gregg Marshall has such a knack for detecting talent. no need for big time, big name recruits for them

Reaction Score

power to them, and to him. hes a fringe-ish 4 star and the boneyard cannot stand whenever we fail to get someone top 50 in the class. it's time to change our standards. recruit players who fit our system rather than fitting ESPN's top 100 rankings. and now, especially now, our system is changing from what Ollie implemented to what Hurley is about to

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I hope they get him. They lost a very good 4* PF recruit to Memphis last week, when he decommitted. With Shamet leaving they have a void at PG, and so it's a great opportunity for somebody like Akinjo to get playing time. He'll play much more for them than he would have here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
as poorly as possible

Sorry but this is wrong
WSU brought more national attention to the AAC and was nationally ranked all season
I don't care if they flamed out - so did Cinci and the whole Pac12 and UVA etc
I think WSU is a great addition, not only in basketball but baseball and some other programs too

Reaction Score
I'm actually a bit surprised he declared early. He's a great college player, but I don't necessarily see his game translating well in the NBA. The guy is a twig and doesn't have the body type that is needed to add much muscle. I personally think he'll get thrown around like a rag doll in the NBA. I could be wrong, I just don't see this move working out well for him.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I have shamed pegged for GS at the end of round 1 right now, but Quinn Cook may make that less likely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom