Shamar Stephens - Senior Bowl Roster | The Boneyard

Shamar Stephens - Senior Bowl Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters.php?squad=North

From a Jim Fuller article:

>>Also, rosters were released yesterday for the Senior Bowl and former UConn defensive tackle Shamar Stephen will play for the North squad and will wear the familiar No. 59. The game will be played on Jan. 25 at 4 p.m. at Ladd-Peeples Stadium in Mobile, Ala. and will air on the NFL Network.<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to going there. Practices are free and open to the public all week.

You can literally sit in the stands next to the scouts from every NFL team.

Almost every Guard and Center for the North and South are about his size.

Only two guys from the AAC on the rosters. Marcus Smith from Louisville being the other.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to going there. Practices are free and open to the public all week.

Only two guys from the AAC on the rosters. Marcus Smith from Louisville being the other.

So we can expect daily report then :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So we can expect daily report then :)

I'll be there Monday. MLK day and I can take the kids to the stadium and let them runs steps for hours. What's not to like about that?

Rest of the week will depend upon any paperwork for a new job.

Reaction Score

The Marriott Riverfront is the media/players hotel. That's the place to be if you're looking for a behind the scenes look.

Reaction Score
Applicable here as well as UConn/NFL Draft-Combine thread:

http://nfldrafttalentevaluator.blogspot.com/2014/01/senior-bowl-prospects-preview.html

>>Sharmar Stephen, DT UConn

Stephen possesses an impressive combination of size at (6-5/315) and athleticism. He is very explosive off the snap and shows quick closing burst of speed when in pursuit. Stephen gets penetration in the backfield and displays the ability to be disruptive at times as an interior pass-rusher and run stuffer. He needs to improve his technique and hand placement to consistently get off blocks. Scouts would like him to improve his upper body strength and become more active with his hand and length. They are intrigued with Stephen’s upside, athleticism and potential to get stronger. He started all 12 games and compiled 60 tackles, including 10 for loss and three sacks finishing third on the team in total tackles while leading the defense in tackles for loss and finishing second in sacks. Stephen productive senior campaign definitely put him on the radar of more NFL teams this year.<<

P.S. - for the love of Taber Small look @ who the author is! ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good numbers.

Arm length of 33 with a wing span of 80 inches means broad shoulders.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Practicing with the DL.

IMG_20140120_153236.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
TonyPauline5:14pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Shamar Stephen/DL/UConn showing impressive power.

He did a good job. He played with the 1's when the coaches called the players by groups.

On most of the individual drills and on the 7-7/9-7 drills he was matched up against Weston Richburg, a Center from Colorado St and against Brandon Linder, a guard from the U. He was either getting a good push on them or staying even. No one was moving Shamar backwards.

It looked like he was moving well on most of the agility drills testing his footwork and coordination. One of the Falcons' coaches was spending a lot of time with him talking back and forth.

One side of the stadium seating is strictly for coaches, scouts and agents. The other side is open to everyone. The list of teams not represented was much smaller than the list that was there.

I took a bunch of pics with my phone, unfortunately the sun was directly in the line of sight and most of them sucked. I'm hoping for better ones tomorrow when they practice in the morning.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Shamar looked good again today.

Bryan Cox is the Falcons DLine coach and was doing a good job with all of the players providing feedback and techniques for them.

He was rotating against both the centers and all the guards on the North roster. Much like yesterday, he either got penetration or stayed his ground. I don't recall any play where he got pushed back.

One of the drills had the DT's and DE's going up one on two against a OG/OT combo. Twice in a row Seantel Henderson of Miami (6'8" 345lbs) jumped the gun. Both times on the re-snap he was real slow coming out of his stance and was getting beat. Scouts in the stands took notice of all of it. Mike Tice, the Falcons OLine coach took notice too.

A couple of things that stood out. Stephen measured 6'5". Both Ra'shede Hageman of Minnesota and Kareem Martin of UNC measured 6'6" but look 3 inches taller than anyone on the line. Hageman is huge for a DT.

Aaron Donald of Pitt measured 6'0" and 285 lbs. But he was exploding off the ball and driving all the linemen backwards. He just gets low and underneath the pads and just drives. I'm curious to see where he's drafted and how he translates to the NFL. I don't think he can be an every down player, but there has to be a spot for him.

Logan Thomas towers over Tajh Boyd and Stephen Morris. Boyd looks much bigger than Morris even though Morris is listed as one inch taller.

Wind was really strong out of the north which means you are playing straight in to the wind or against the wind. FG kicker couldn't make anything outside of 35 yds in to the wind. Ball would make it to the goal line and just stop. Several of the NFL people were laughing watching it. The wind made it tough to get a good read on any of the QB's or WR's.

I haven't watched the South practice yet, but all the NFL personnel are saying the South will destroy the North. The North's OLine doesn't look very good and they were openly wondering if the North will get any yards rushing at all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks for the updates, Chin! Good to have you as the Boneyard Southeast Regional Scout!

You're welcome. No in person updates today. Temps only in the low 40's with wind chills in the high 20's means I stay home. A real game? Absolutely. Practice? Well, I'll let you recall what AI said about practice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
and short arms... that is a downside

He was well within the norms of the DLinemen. I know they don't measure arm length like we do for our shirts. I wear a 34/35 sleeve and I can guarantee you that Shamar's arms are longer than mine.

Check out the link for the official weigh-in results.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2014-senior-bowl-official-weigh-in-results.html

Name POS School HT WT Hand Arm Reach

ShamarStephen DT Uconn 6045 308 9 7/8 33 80 1/8

SeantrelHendersonOT Miami (FL) 6067 331 10 3/8 34 1/3 84

Ra'ShedeHageman DT Minnesota 6060 318 9 5/8 33 3/4 81 3/4

MichaelSchofield OT Michigan 6065 303 9 3/4 33 1/2 81 3/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics