Shakena Richardson Rutgers asking for Release | The Boneyard

Shakena Richardson Rutgers asking for Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ScarletScuttlebut - link

Wondering if she'll be interested in St John's or Seton Hall since they won't be in the same conference. Since she's a guard, don't think Geno will show any interest.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Coach Stringer's $1+million contract has one more season to go. As noted, her team has been "trending downward" in both attendance and on-court performance. And RU has no AD in place while she recruits as a lame duck coach. The "Jewel of the East" has lost its lustre and CViv seems headed for retirement.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The thing is, they keep landing the recruits. I think most agree Scaife is going to be terrific for them. Honestly, after Stringer is gone, I'd love to see Rizotti go after that job. Would be great to see what she could do in a bigger school. I know her heart is in Connecticut, but she's really not accomplishing much at UHart (from a "national coaching" perspective)...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure this was due to Scaife coming in. Richardson has a few good games this year, but never really turned the corner. IMO she's a little too small to really be effective. (5'4)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Shea is UConn's next coach
All joking aside, I'd not be surprised to see Shea OR Marissa take over. I'm totally guessing but I'd suspect Geno will be around 10 more years. I think he renews his contract one more time. Then, in the last 3 years, depending on who he thinks should take over, I'd not be surprised to see him hire them as an asst (Jen, for example) and have her on staff for 2-3 years and explain to the incoming players that Jen most likely will be taking over. If it doesn't work that way and Jen remains at UHart, I just don't see her as the next HC. At least not at this point...

Anyway sorry for switching topics. Coler is probably correct. But Richardson was a top 20 kid coming out of HS. I could see if Davis were leaving - she was rated much lower. You'd think a top 2o kid could coexist in the guard spot if one was at the 1 and the other at the 2 spot.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Davis has been the Rutgers top defensive player in each of her first 2 years. If she was to leave, that would be viewed as a loss.

While Richardson was likeable and tried hard, those whose opinions I value on the RU board constantly spoke of one of the team's shortcomings being poor point guard judgment. She was generally the pg being referred to.

And it isn't just Schaife, it is also the transfer from Illinois that sat out this year, plus Canty supposedly coming back. I do think that her transfer is completely understandable.

Reaction Score
Anyway sorry for switching topics. Coler is probably correct. But Richardson was a top 20 kid coming out of HS. I could see if Davis were leaving - she was rated much lower. You'd think a top 2o kid could coexist in the guard spot if one was at the 1 and the other at the 2 spot.

I believe Coler is correct and Kena wants more playing time. Davis may have been the lower rated player of the two, but she played more than Kena and was chosen as the RU defensive player of the year. With Scaife coming in, Canty recovered from injury and Davis still there, she probably would just move farther down the bench. It is unfortunate, as she has a lot of potential, but she didn't make the most of her time on the floor this year. Next season it will just get harder for her to move up in the pecking order and as none of the other guards will graduate next year, her senior season wouldn't be any different.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The thing is, they keep landing the recruits. I think most agree Scaife is going to be terrific for them. Honestly, after Stringer is gone, I'd love to see Rizotti go after that job. Would be great to see what she could do in a bigger school. I know her heart is in Connecticut, but she's really not accomplishing much at UHart (from a "national coaching" perspective)...

My thoughts are that CD might be interested. With Geno on what is most likely his last contract CD might like to end her career where it started.

IMO Rizotti is thinking UConn.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Also it's interesting that Richardson & Davis only considered schools that would take them as a package deal, but Davis is not leaving.

I believe Richardson & Davis also consider WVU, and Maryland?

Reaction Score
Shakena Richardson just announced on Twitter that she's transferring to Florida State. She had made visits to Florida State, Michigan, Memphis, and La Salle over the last few weeks.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Good for her!!

Good pickup for the Noles!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just want to say that I am happy to keep any topic alive that does not involve BG or and parable/tale/lymric relating to someone on drugs thinking they have something to say about BG. Having said that, I would be inclined to go along with those who think that this is just a one player situation and it is a stretch to make any statement about a coach/program absent more definitive information.

Reaction Score
I just want to say that I am happy to keep any topic alive that does not involve BG or and parable/tale/lymric relating to someone on drugs thinking they have something to say about BG. Having said that, I would be inclined to go along with those who think that this is just a one player situation and it is a stretch to make any statement about a coach/program absent more definitive information.
Just for the record, I wasn't trying to keep the topic you refer to alive; I simply thought people might be interested to learn which school she ended up deciding to transfer to. For those interested, here's an article on her choice: Richardson to transfer from Rutgers to Florida St.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The thing is, they keep landing the recruits. I think most agree Scaife is going to be terrific for them. Honestly, after Stringer is gone, I'd love to see Rizotti go after that job.

I'm expecting RU to make a big push for CD. I don't think CD would have considered it if it meant coaching against Geno in the BE, but now that that is doubly not an issue, I expect CD to give it serious thought. In the end, I think she will say no, but I think it will be a tough decision. (And RU fans will have only themselves to blame)

Reaction Score
Didn't Canty have heart and knee issues? Wonder if she can be 100% coming back, especially since she was never a "skilled" player, but rather a superior athlete? It is amazing, though, that with as many as have left Rutgers, they can still field a lineup of HS All-Americans. Scaife, Canty (?), Laney and Hollivay are more HS AAs than most programs possess.

Reaction Score
Didn't Canty have heart and knee issues? Wonder if she can be 100% coming back, especially since she was never a "skilled" player, but rather a superior athlete? It is amazing, though, that with as many as have left Rutgers, they can still field a lineup of HS All-Americans. Scaife, Canty (?), Laney and Hollivay are more HS AAs than most programs possess.
Yes Canty had heart surgery last summer and knee surgery in the fall. She is expected to be 100% this season, but who really knows.
Kena left because of playing time. (See my earlier post in this thread). No one transferred out last year and she is the only one to transfer after this season. I believe UConn lost two players last season (Johnson and Englen) for the same reason. It happens.

Also, if CVS retires soon and Chris was hired, most fans would be happy about it. She is highly respected and well liked by our fans.

Reaction Score
Too erratic and with Scaife coming in the writing was on the wall as RU is overloaded with better Gs!!Mutually acceptable and free's up a scholly! RU rising!!!Good luck Kena wherever you go!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure this was due to Scaife coming in. Richardson has a few good games this year, but never really turned the corner. IMO she's a little too small to really be effective. (5'4)
I was just gonna post something like this. Scaife could be a good one.

Although I think this takes them down to 9 players for next year.

Oops, I should have read further, with Alexis Burke xfering in, I count 10.

Reaction Score
I was just gonna post something like this. Scaife could be a good one.

Although I think this takes them down to 9 players for next year.

Oops, I should have read further, with Alexis Burke xfering in, I count 10.
There have also been some indications that we will have another freshman coming in - Alex Alfano a 5'6" guard from Red Bank Catholic (NJ), but no official announcement from RU. I'm not sure if she will be on scholarship or a walk-on. That would bring us to 11.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There have also been some indications that we will have another freshman coming in - Alex Alfano a 5'6" guard from Red Bank Catholic (NJ), but no official announcement from RU. I'm not sure if she will be on scholarship or a walk-on. That would bring us to 11.
10 or 11 should be fine.......better be cause that's what UCONN is gonna have. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom