Shaka Smart | The Boneyard

Shaka Smart

Reaction Score
So over on one of the Louisville boards, their beat writer posted that he had a discussion with one of his P5 coaching buddies, a guy that is is dialed in across the country and really knows the landscape and what's going on with all the coaching searches.

Apparently, UConn came up in their conversation and the guy had this to say: "Shaka Smart won't go to UConn, which is one of Shaka's dream schools." Unfortunately there wasn't any other information or follow-up.

I remember hearing that Shaka considered UConn as one of his dream schools back when KO was first hired, and there was a decent group of people on here who wanted him to be the coach after Jim Calhoun.

After what we've seen at Texas (50-49 over the last three years, 2 NCAA tournaments), would you guys still want him?

Reaction Score
I'd take him over Crean, Matta, etc. But not before Hurley at this point, I think. Hurley is in a pretty similar position to Shaka when he was one of our candidates to take over for Calhoun. I think Hurley has a higher ceiling--havoc will only take you so far.

Reaction Score
So over on one of the Louisville boards, their beat writer posted that he had a discussion with one of his P5 coaching buddies, a guy that is is dialed in across the country and really knows the landscape and what's going on with all the coaching searches.

Apparently, UConn came up in their conversation and the guy had this to say: "Shaka Smart won't go to UConn, which is one of Shaka's dream schools." Unfortunately there wasn't any other information or follow-up.

I remember hearing that Shaka considered UConn as one of his dream schools back when KO was first hired, and there was a decent group of people on here who wanted him to be the coach after Jim Calhoun.

After what we've seen at Texas (50-49 over the last three years, 2 NCAA tournaments), would you guys still want him?

I havent heard much about shaka smart since 2011(?)

Reaction Score
No, and he isn’t getting a phone call, just like Frank Martin. People who aren’t getting a phone call about the job, aren’t getting the job. Whether they want it or not is irrelevant.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Didnt want him then, dont want him now.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wanted him bad back in 2012. The years since have not been too kind to him though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He’s a .500 coach. That would be way too risky for our AD right now. Could be career suicide to hire a .500 coach expecting different results going forward. Shaka has to prove himself again. If he wanted to leave UT now, I’d assume he was running scared.
He may be a .500 coach at Texas now but he won't be for long.
Do you know that Hurley is a .574 coach at URI in a much less competitive conference? Winning at URI is different than winning at Texas.
I am not a Shaka Smart devotee and not interested in him coming to UConn but you are selling him way too short. What he did at VCU was amazing and he has done a really good job taking over a sinking ship at Texas. If you were to poll most college basketball folks on whether they would want Shaka or Hurley I am not convinced at all that Shaka would come in second.
Shaka is a much better recruiter than Hurley - hands down no comparative
But Shaka is not coming to UConn - for him it would be, IMHO, a really bad move
If Hurley comes here - great but I cannot believe how many folks here are betting the mortgage on this guy

Reaction Score
I don’t necessarily disagree with you. The point is, you can’t hire a guy with Shaka’s recent record and get much of a leash with your fan base if he struggles. You have to hire someone that has been really good lately. It could even be Oats. This isn’t the time to pay Shaka Smart 4 million dollars per year and hope he still has the goods. Too risky.

Reaction Score
He may be a .500 coach at Texas now but he won't be for long.
Do you know that Hurley is a .574 coach at URI in a much less competitive conference? Winning at URI is different than winning at Texas.
I am not a Shaka Smart devotee and not interested in him coming to UConn but you are selling him way too short. What he did at VCU was amazing and he has done a really good job taking over a sinking ship at Texas. If you were to poll most college basketball folks on whether they would want Shaka or Hurley I am not convinced at all that Shaka would come in second.
Shaka is a much better recruiter than Hurley - hands down no comparative
But Shaka is not coming to UConn - for him it would be, IMHO, a really bad move
If Hurley comes here - great but I cannot believe how many folks here are betting the mortgage on this guy
Shaka Smart also took over a VCU team coming off of an NCAA tournament (24-10, 14-4). No rebuild involved.

When he went to Texas, they were coming off of two disappointing, but 20-win NCAA Tournament, seasons. He may have been a good hire to take over for JC, but he wouldn't have been a good hire to take over for KO. He hasn't proven he can rebuild.

Reaction Score
Shaka has an Ollie type resume without the NCC.
I don't really think that's true.

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 10.52.52 AM.png

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart inherited VCU from Anthony Grant after Grant coached for 3 years. Grant had won 3 regular season conference championships and 2 conference tournament championships in 3 years. Smart coached VCU for 6 seasons, but did not win a regular season conference championship, but he did win 2 conference tournament championships. Smart went to the Final 4 his second season, but had limited success after, never advancing to the Sweet 16.

At Texas, his teams have been 20-13, 11-22, and 19-14, even though his first 3 recruiting classes were ranked 18, 6, and 6. His 2018 recruiting class is ranked 13th. Clearly, something is not working at Texas as he has recruited well, but his teams have not won.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
to be fair to smart, he's probably not even being discussed if his PG doesn't get sick.

But there's no question he lost some of that luster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t necessarily disagree with you. The point is, you can’t hire a guy with Shaka’s recent record and get much of a leash with your fan base if he struggles. You have to hire someone that has been really good lately. It could even be Oats. This isn’t the time to pay Shaka Smart 4 million dollars per year and hope he still has the goods. Too risky.
He took mo b from under all of our noses up here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why doesn't Smart get the same excuse as Ollie for Jones being out? His best perimeter player misses the entire year, and he still makes the NCAAs. His recruiting classes have ranked well at Texas. He's also a name, would gain national interest, and put butts in their seats year 1.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't Smart get the same excuse as Ollie for Jones being out? His best perimeter player misses the entire year, and he still makes the NCAAs. His recruiting classes have ranked well at Texas. He's also a name, would gain national interest, and put butts in their seats year 1.
What was his excuse last year? Or the year before?

Dude's had ranked teams entering each of the last 7 seasons and has made it past the first weekend once. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade on Ollie – he would be – but he's not an elite coach.

It'll be interesting to see how long a leash he gets in Austin. If next year's as disappointing as the last two, that seat's gonna get hot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom