Shaka adds RJ Evans to staff | The Boneyard

Shaka adds RJ Evans to staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If grad transfers weren't allowed, RJ Evans never dreams of this opportunity.

Gonna be sad for future kids when the NCAA change rules for coaches whining about not winning as opposed to allowing a kid to make extra things happen for him. The NCAA loses nothing by allowing transfer students. Many kids stand to lose out on a whole lot.

Reaction Score
Loved his year here. He gave us what he had. Can't ask for more than that. Huge congratulations - quite a high profile position for RJ. Nice, in a way, to see a sprout on the Kevin Ollie coaching tree.

Reaction Score
RJ Evans was like the NBA-version of Kevin Ollie to the UConn Huskies. He was an elder, lead by example guy who was a valuable mentor to the team. Great luck to RJ and glad to see that he's signed on to work with an excellent coach in an excellent program. Nothing but respect for Shaka.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Freakin' KO can't even keep his own players from going to Shaka. No way KO can acutally recruit a HS player straight up against Shaka. Unbelievable.

(For the record there was a LOT of sarcasm in the post)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations RJ! A great opportunity.

Reaction Score
RJ was a great addition to that over achieving and important Team.
He wasn't really a DiV 1 player and might have been the worse FT shooting PG ever.
But he played hard ,had a decent handle ,and understood the game and gave much needed relief to Shabazz and Boat. He played with a mature attitude that gave younger players increased cofidence.
That team Possibly had worse front court in Div 1 even before their number 1 center was suspended. So keeping the back court fresh was key.
But somehow they still managed to win 20 games in the last Big East season.
Beating the best Syracuse team since Melo on national TV in the process
My how I loved that team they came through at the Darkest hour in UConn History and signaled that the torch indeed was passed and that flame that is UConn basketball was not extinguished.
He was part of that legacy so Good luck to him in his new position.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
RJ was a great addition to that over achieving and important Team.
He wasn't really a DiV 1 player and might have been the worse FT shooting PG ever.
But he played hard ,had a decent handle ,and understood the game and gave much needed relief to Shabazz and Boat. He played with a mature attitude that gave younger players increased cofidence.
That team Possibly had worse front court in Div 1 even before their number 1 center was suspended. So keeping the back court fresh was key.
But somehow they still managed to win 20 games in the last Big East season.
Beating the best Syracuse team since Melo on national TV in the process
My how I loved that team they came through at the Darkest hour in UConn History and signaled that the torch indeed was passed and that flame that is UConn basketball was not extinguished.
He was part of that legacy so Good luck to him in his new position.

Not a D1 player? I'm guessing you mean not a high major player.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ollie planting seeds out there, RJ is probably just the first branch...

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
If grad transfers weren't allowed, RJ Evans never dreams of this opportunity.

Gonna be sad for future kids when the NCAA change rules for coaches whining about not winning as opposed to allowing a kid to make extra things happen for him. The NCAA loses nothing by allowing transfer students. Many kids stand to lose out on a whole lot.
GraDd students are a little smarter by then. Maybe someone does an Ed O'Bannon on them in court

Reaction Score
Not a D1 player? I'm guessing you mean not a high major player.

I'm sure that's what he meant. He certainly proved he could play at Holy Cross and while he probably couldn't play with too many high majors, he certainly fit the "team" at Storrs that year. Might not be athletic or game talent always as we saw, but leadership also is an important part of the team concept.

Good luck to RJ

Reaction Score
Loved his year here. He gave us what he had. Can't ask for more than that. Huge congratulations - quite a high profile position for RJ. Nice, in a way, to see a sprout on the Kevin Ollie coaching tree.

Wouldn't he be a sprout on the Shaka Smart coaching tree?

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
This is proof that Shaka lives up to his moniker! Way to go, RJ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom