Shaina Pellington and Amari Carter to Arizona | The Boneyard

Shaina Pellington and Amari Carter to Arizona

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Excellent. It was openly acknowledged we were getting transfers, just didn't know who.

Carter is a graduate transfer, and will be eligible immediately. Pellington has to sit out, I haven't had time to check out her back-story.

Reaction Score
I suspect this might be a tend. More quality players are beginning to gravitate to western teams both in commitments and transfers than ever before. I really believe the visability brought on by the Pac 12 Network had a major influence. That and the rise in quality coaching and programs.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They've really bolstered their roster w/ transfers during Barnes' tenure.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I suspect this might be a tend. More quality players are beginning to gravitate to western teams both in commitments and transfers than ever before. I really believe the visability brought on by the Pac 12 Network had a major influence. That and the rise in quality coaching and programs.
Wouldn't know about that - remember the network is not carried by DirecTV. Digging deeper - and based on what folks tell me - they also have regional stations (like Pac 12 Arizona) and you can't watch the games that are on there if you live elsewhere (there is a main channel, as well). So I don't really think that the Pac 12 Network is a factor. I do agree that there is a rise in quality coaching and programs. Currently, I think only Colorado and Washington State are "highly questionable", Washington I'm giving a pass. The rest of the programs, whether "there" or not yet seem to be really competitive.

Reaction Score
Shaina Pellington and Sherri Coale had major issues by season’s end. Could have been similar to Andra’s where she was asked to leave.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't know about that - remember the network is not carried by DirecTV. Digging deeper - and based on what folks tell me - they also have regional stations (like Pac 12 Arizona) and you can't watch the games that are on there if you live elsewhere (there is a main channel, as well). So I don't really think that the Pac 12 Network is a factor. I do agree that there is a rise in quality coaching and programs. Currently, I think only Colorado and Washington State are "highly questionable", Washington I'm giving a pass. The rest of the programs, whether "there" or not yet seem to be really competitive.
What you say holds merit. Still, until a few years ago the Pac 12 did not have a TV contract. I noticed that once they began broadcasting Pac 12 games woman's recruiting improved and transfers began to head back west. The loss of Direct TV just happened recently. As to regional stations that is true if you watch only through network providers like Comcast. If you watch Pac 12 online with any provider for regional access. I watch Pac 12 through Sling TV during basketball season. They give you access to all the regional games. I am sure there are also many other services give you regional access. Most teams now days also stream games that are not being shown on national TV.

The attraction for viewership for recruits is not so much national coverage, rather just that friends and relatives can see them play. Now that is available via streaming so playing locally or for previously high profile teams who were usually nationally broadcast is not a factor anymore. Players families certainly have access to watch their kids play across the country for more programs than ever before.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What you say holds merit. Still, until a few years ago the Pac 12 did not have a TV contract. I noticed that once they began broadcasting Pac 12 games woman's recruiting improved and transfers began to head back west. The loss of Direct TV just happened recently. As to regional stations that is true if you watch only through network providers like Comcast. If you watch Pac 12 online with any provider for regional access. I watch Pac 12 through Sling TV during basketball season. They give you access to all the regional games. I am sure there are also many other services give you regional access. Most teams now days also stream games that are not being shown on national TV.

The attraction for viewership for recruits is not so much national coverage, rather just that friends and relatives can see them play. Now that is available via streaming so playing locally or for previously high profile teams who were usually nationally broadcast is not a factor anymore. Players families certainly have access to watch their kids play across the country for more programs than ever before.
I think your last paragraph is probably spot on, and in that regard the PAC has improved.

I don't do the internet broadcasts much, a rare Rutgers game. Since I don't have Sling or another service I can't access the PAC12 network at all, as my "broadcast" provider is DirecTV. I will make a minor correction to your post - DirecTV never carried the PAC networks. Could never agree with the PAC12 on a contract. Thought that would change when AT&T bought DirecTV, but it didn't. And before the PAC networks, local Fox stations would carry some PAC 12 games; ultimately, that was what got us to go with DirecTV, the availability of the various local Fox affiliates that were not blacked out for women's sports and were, for a time, prime carriers of women's basketball. Before streaming and all the conference stations. Now, while we still have DirecTV, it is primarily for NFL Sunday Ticket since we relocated to AZ and want to watch the Giants. Not so much on the Fox stations anymore, although the Big 12 still has contracts with them.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For whatever its worth - I just got a Facebook notification from WBB that Amari Carter is "here". Woo-hoo.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For whatever its worth - I just got a Facebook notification from WBB that Amari Carter is "here". Woo-hoo.
Facebook notification? Kudos to you! I am very impressed. Barnes received a very deserved raise which probably should have been more because at $400k per year she’s still pretty low vs. less accomplished peers who make more. Go Wildcats!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom