Shabazz Questionable | The Boneyard

Shabazz Questionable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I heard on the radio this morning that Shabazz is questionable for tonight's game. Monday he complained of running a fever & not feeling well. He had an infected tooth which had to be extracted. JC says that if Shabazz isn't well enough to play against Maine tonight, Jeremy will run the point & he'll put Niels at the 2 spot. I don't know about everyone else, but I think having Boatright as an option would be a big plus!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
let lamb run it with dd at the 2. bring alen in to rest lamb. rest bazz for the long run, no need to push him vs maine.

Reaction Score
The reports from last night were that Shabazz didn't practice Wednesday but was expected to play tonight.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I don't see anyone holding Bazz out of his game unless its the medical staff... he will play with reduced minutes.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to start or quickly insert the walk on and see what he can do early in the year. If its a disaster JC could end the experiment quickly. No better way to see if you have a gamer than to let him play. Word on the street is that he is a player. His stats at prep school support the idea that he can compete against Maine type talent at least. Guys who average 17ppg at that level usually translate to D1. That doesn't mean he has UConn talent, but probably at least CCSU talent since he is a known athlete, not just a basketball player. I am hoping we see him for at least 8-10 minutes tonight. Everyday without Boat concerns me more.

Reaction Score
We would be in a pickle if Bazz can not play- we have not shown that we can create our own offense very well at this point in the season and simply do not have another PG. That would suck. I hate that Bazz has to play 35 minutes a game right now and the fact he is not nearly 100% adds to the pressure.

Siva may be out for Lville and I think they are in a similar situation if he does not play. Hard to have the only person on your team that creates for other players on the bench.

Boat's absence if a lot like the refs determining the outcome of a game- the NCAA is punking us right now- congrats NCAA you have your revenge and have achieved your goal- if your goal is being a hot mess.

Reaction Score
Scratch that - he is playing.

Sophomore Shabazz Napier had a dental procedure Wednesday and missed practice. He will be ready to play against Maine Thursday in Hartford.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to start or quickly insert the walk on and see what he can do early in the year. If its a disaster JC could end the experiment quickly. No better way to see if you have a gamer than to let him play. Word on the street is that he is a player. His stats at prep school support the idea that he can compete against Maine type talent at least. Guys who average 17ppg at that level usually translate to D1. That doesn't mean he has UConn talent, but probably at least CCSU talent since he is a known athlete, not just a basketball player. I am hoping we see him for at least 8-10 minutes tonight. Everyday without Boat concerns me more.

Wasnt Ryan Thompson was the next coming of Ray Allen out of highschool in nebraska?

Reaction Score
Let's have Drummond and Daniels run the point. If nothing else, it would be wildly entertaining.

Reaction Score
Brandon Allen has played very few minutes thus far, but he has absolutely not looked comfortable handling the ball or running the offense.

Reaction Score
Wasnt Ryan Thompson was the next coming of Ray Allen out of highschool in nebraska?

Lol. Different situation. This guy more fits the mold of an EJ Harrison type talent with better athleticism. I have a couple friends that are involved in AAU, Nutmeg games and things like that. Both say he is talented and very athletic.

Reaction Score
Brandon Allen has played very few minutes thus far, but he has absolutely not looked comfortable handling the ball or running the offense.

Too bad. Hopefully, he becomes useful. I would like to have another Austrie/Bev type guy on the bench to spell the big guns or fill in for injuries.

Reaction Score
Scratch that - he is playing.

Sophomore Shabazz Napier had a dental procedure Wednesday and missed practice. He will be ready to play against Maine Thursday in Hartford.

He's a warrior but I agree the amount of minutes is a concern especially when not well. Hopefully the assistants will remind JC to spell Bazz tonight even if we suffer on offense.

Reaction Score
I figured that if all possible he would play. He's a tough kid. JC type of player.

On a side note, we often wonder why the staff goes after this recruit but doesn't seem to go after that one. I'm not saying this is always the case, but JC likes certain types of kids, especially the PGs, that as he puts it are warriors (mentally and emotionally tough).

Bazz, Kemba, Taliek, Khalid, Ricky, Doron, and KO all fit that description. JC tends to chew up and spit out the ones that are not mentally tough. Those are the ones that don't last at UConn very long.

And, yes, we need Boatright back in the worst way. How an organization (NCAA) that is there to serve its members is not capable of completing their investigations and making their ruling around or before the season begins. They've had plenty of time to handle this and many of the other player eligibility issues, but they continue to drop the ball. They make the DMV look like Walmart.

Reaction Score
Boatright will be able to get the equivalent of "time served", correct?

Reaction Score
Lets just have Lamb run the point the way Cal has his PG's run it; aka shoot everytime.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Let's have Drummond and Daniels run the point. If nothing else, it would be wildly entertaining.

I did have the thought that we might have AD bring the ball up the court against teams applying tough man pressure on our PG. I realize that it could break down real quick if he can't stay calm and make the pass against double teams, but there are not many centers who could guard him full court.

Regardless, I hope he gets a lot of minutes tonight.

Reaction Score
I heard on the radio this morning that Shabazz is questionable for tonight's game. Monday he complained of running a fever & not feeling well. He had an infected tooth which had to be extracted. JC says that if Shabazz isn't well enough to play against Maine tonight, Jeremy will run the point & he'll put Niels at the 2 spot. I don't know about everyone else, but I think having Boatright as an option would be a big plus!
He was sick last game. My score prediction was based on his playing and feeling well tonight. Oh well.

Reaction Score
JL will do an adequate job at the point. what wbout the walk on? Maine doesn't feed from the same traugh ( mispelled ) that Uconn does, so the talent differential strongly favors us. I would like to see DD at the 2, bit Giff needs to prove his salt or wax the pines.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And, yes, we need Boatright back in the worst way. How an organization (NCAA) that is there to serve its members is not capable of completing their investigations and making their ruling around or before the season begins. They've had plenty of time to handle this and many of the other player eligibility issues, but they continue to drop the ball. They make the DMV look like Walmart.

They are too busy day trading with March Madness money.

Reaction Score
JL will do an adequate job at the point. what wbout the walk on? Maine doesn't feed from the same traugh ( mispelled ) that Uconn does, so the talent differential strongly favors us. I would like to see DD at the 2, bit Giff needs to prove his salt or wax the pines.

In the WTIC interview w/ Joe D (featured in another thread), JC mentioned the possibility of Shabazz being out, in which case he said he might go w/ Lamb at the one and Niels at the two. I don't think he mentioned the walk-on. As to Niels, he attributed his early struggles to over-eagerness, and said no one works harder on the team than him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Until boatright is eligible shabazz is the most important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads