Shabazz on TNT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shabazz on TNT

Reaction Score
He's killing it. Nice timing, too, with this being a contract year.

Bazz works hard. That's what it comes down to. He turned himself into arguably the best player in college basketball and then, faced with a gigantic increase in his opponents' size and skill that caused him to struggle, he developed himself into a rotation NBA player. It took a while but he's 26 and here to stay. His numbers are way up across the board. Now that he's a consistent 3-point shooter, and able to score off the dribble or the pass, he'll always a place in the NBA.

Couple that with being a pest on defense. He's not just a 3 and D as we saw in highlight reel last night, but also someone who can create for himself and others. He's essentially found a way to make all of his skills from his time at UConn translatable to the NBA game. It took time and opportunity to make it happen, but it came together. We all knew when he was traded that the Blazers were great at developing players but I don't know if any of us knew this kind of breakout would ever come (at least to this degree).

Hopefully he gets a big payday and keeps it going in a more primary role for another team. I think in another thread it was mentioned that Kemba could team up with Andre in Detroit via a trade, what about Shabazz to the Pistons? They played together 2011-12 (yes that huge letdown of a season with 3 future NBA players on the roster), but would be cool to see them team up again and that would make every Hornets-Pistons game a treat for UConn fans.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Things you need if you want to be Bazz:
  • a crazy good handle
  • the ability to change speed and/or direction on a dime
  • motor
  • determination
  • twice as many rings as Jimmy 'the picker' B
  • above average 3 point accuracy and range
  • quick hands
  • killer instinct
  • a gigantic pair
  • a flair for performing best at the most crucial moments

Reaction Score
i watch the nba's ever-popular "top plays of the day" segment pretty much every morning, and was pleased to see bazz make the cut!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Couple that with being a pest on defense. He's not just a 3 and D as we saw in highlight reel last night, but also someone who can create for himself and others. He's essentially found a way to make all of his skills from his time at UConn translatable to the NBA game. It took time and opportunity to make it happen, but it came together. We all knew when he was traded that the Blazers were great at developing players but I don't know if any of us knew this kind of breakout would ever come (at least to this degree).

Hopefully he gets a big payday and keeps it going in a more primary role for another team. I think in another thread it was mentioned that Kemba could team up with Andre in Detroit via a trade, what about Shabazz to the Pistons? They played together 2011-12 (yes that huge letdown of a season with 3 future NBA players on the roster), but would be cool to see them team up again and that would make every Hornets-Pistons game a treat for UConn fans.

I'm a little surprised that he's only averaging something like 2.2 apg. I know he had 7 against the Spurs. Even on a per-minute basis, his assist rate is low. I guess that's partially because he plays with other passing guards so much.

Reaction Score
What? This has to be some kind of joke...
They're a team that loses in the first round with him, they're a team that loses in the first round without him. They're hard against the cap, so they can't improve this group at all. They need to re-sign Nurkic and Shabazz this offseason and don't have the room to do it without paying tens of millions of luxury tax dollars.

They should absolutely look to package Dame & one of their crappy contracts (Leonard? Harkless?) for cap space, a backup PG and a pick. Their season will end in Round 1 regardless, and doing it this way gives them the chance to 1) keep Nurkic, and 2) get under the cap long-term, while 3) getting younger.

Reaction Score
They're a team that loses in the first round with him, they're a team that loses in the first round without him. They're hard against the cap, so they can't improve this group at all. They need to re-sign Nurkic and Shabazz this offseason and don't have the room to do it without paying tens of millions of luxury tax dollars.

They should absolutely look to package Dame & one of their crappy contracts (Leonard? Harkless?) for cap space, a backup PG and a pick. Their season will end in Round 1 regardless, and doing it this way gives them the chance to 1) keep Nurkic, and 2) get under the cap long-term, while 3) getting younger.
Yes Shabazz has been really good thw last month or so, but I don’t think that means he’s ready to be a full time starting PG yet. Lillard is a borderline top 5 PG, those don’t come around often.

Reaction Score
Yes Shabazz has been really good thw last month or so, but I don’t think that means he’s ready to be a full time starting PG yet. Lillard is a borderline top 5 PG, those don’t come around often.
He's 27 and not good enough to lead his team past the first round. They'll make the playoffs without him.

Trade him now, along with one of the awful contracts that's damaging to the team's long-term prospects, and get some flexibility/a better future. Because as it stands, they top out as a 45ish win team that's going to pay tens of millions of luxury taxes.

Reaction Score
He's 27 and not good enough to lead his team past the first round. They'll make the playoffs without him.

Trade him now, along with one of the awful contracts that's damaging to the team's long-term prospects, and get some flexibility/a better future. Because as it stands, they top out as a 45ish win team that's going to pay tens of millions of luxury taxes.
McCollum will probably be traded.

Reaction Score
Looked like a carry, but actually shared it with a friend of mine who refs and its clean!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Bazz is looking pretty good so far, he defers quite a bit, but you can see his confidence on both sides

Love me so Bazz!

Reaction Score
34 min, 21 and 5 rbs. Paced the Blazers with 9 pts in the 4th to keep their cushion. 2 ast, 2 stls, 5-10 fgs, 2-3 3pts, 9-10fts. Seemed a little intimidated by Russ on a couple possessions but really held his own throughout. Let the game come to him as it went along. Really, really impressed these few games he's been starting. Numbers don't lie, and will only get better after tonight.

By Position GP MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
As Starting Guard 5 36.0 6.6-13.8 .478 1.8-4.6 .391 3.2-3.8 .842 0.6 4.2 4.8 5.4 0.6 2.0 1.6 2.4 18.2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
12 points on 3-5 shooting (5-6 FT) at the half. Had 4 TOs, but still... it's pretty clear Bazz can play big minutes for a good team.
You made me go check the box score. Bazz had 0 turnovers in the 2nd half and played the most minutes of any Blazer in an 11-point road win.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
God I love Bazz. Glad he’s starting to play meaningful minutes and play confidently.

Reaction Score
We all knew Bazz is a winner. But I wouldn't have guessed he would make a nice NBA career for himself.

Making millions, living in a great city. Out of the limelight. Couldn't get.much better for Bazz

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Too bad he's stuck behind Lillard. Blazers would be crazy not to make a qualifying offer for him this upcoming offseason.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
They'll make the QO but someone is going to offer him 10 mil/year and the blazers can't match that unless they somehow dump Turner and a couple of other bad contracts or trade McCollum for a someone on a rookie deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom