Shabazz Napier’s Stock Soaring As NBA Draft Nears | The Boneyard

Shabazz Napier’s Stock Soaring As NBA Draft Nears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
while this is obviously great to read, this quote from the NBA personnel guy has me wondering what did he watch for the nearly 2 seasons prior to the tourney. I know his numbers went up compared to the entire regular season, but was Bazz really that different compared to when he played against "name" teams and good comp?

“Before the tournament, I would have projected him as a mid- to late-second round pick,” one NBA personnel guy told me. “But in the tournament – holy cow … ”
Another league executive told me that after watching Napier for the first time – in the games in Madison Square Garden – he went back to his college scouts and asked, “Why aren’t we talking more about this guy?”

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-men/shabazz-napiers-stock-soaring-as-nba-draft-nears/

Reaction Score
You are talking about guys that once drafted Michael Olowokandi with the first pick in a draft. They dont know everything. Napier was "under the radar" if I can say that without being shot on this board for many outside of the Uconn fanbase even until the tourney run. The tourney just served as a magnifying glass for him to perform on a national stage for 2 weeks against all top opponents. It didnt hurt his resume, thats for sure

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
To answer the scouts question of "why aren't we talking more about this kid", it's because college basketball has turned into a culture of flash and manufactured media hype, and in that sense UConn has always been on the outside looking in on the "hot programs" ESPiN has been pushing lately.

Proof: After we won the NC in April, ESPN/Sportscenter spent maybe a few hours giving emus air time and immediately switched to UK and how great their run was, showing every second of the post-game Cal interview and beginning "analysis"for next year. You would have almost thought they blew UConn out or something.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I wonder if any of them have even noted what the man did in OT over his career?

Reaction Score
The Heat writeup is impressively detailed. I don't agree with all of it, but the theme is on. I thought Shabazz's combine numbers were pretty impressive and actually indicated he's more athletic than it might appear in games. Gamewise his athleticism is only on display when he makes a crazy drive and impossible layup late. Another miss is criticizing his defense. I think pretty clearly as Shabazz's UConn career progressed he went from defensive stopper to conserving his energy a bit on that end b/c he was both PG and primary scorer on the other. But then in the tourney he cranked up the defense (as did Boatright) and that was a huge part of what made UConn better than every team they met.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom