Shabazz as a Pro | The Boneyard

Shabazz as a Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I have been thinking about this. All this talk about Kemba and for a while comparing Shabazz to Kemba. I noticed that talk stopped. Shabazz made his own mark with his own game which in some ways was better than Kembas 3 years ago. So thinking of him at the next level I am surprised he is a late first round pick, I think he can be much more than a, "Backup point". His passing is incredible, he completely understands the game, he is lightning quick, and can get his own shot when he wants to going to the hoop or from outside. I expect him to be A Chris Paul type of player in the NBA...

The fact that Ennis is rated higher than him is a joke....

Reaction Score
i actually see his upside ending up as a better passing Derek Fisher type career. The kid can drain shots at any moment.. But he can pass and create.. It will all come down to D. Khalid found out the hard way if you don't play D your out of the league.

Reaction Score
Agree alfonse, I think Shabazz has great range, can beat anyone off the dribble, sees all 5 players on the floor, plays defense and is a leader, I think he is a starter in the NBA, not a backup.

Reaction Score
Who knows, I could also see him being a good backup PG, sort of like AJ Price but better.

Although like he has done all year, he could prove everyone wrong and start on a team that gives him a chance and be a great ball handler/distributor who can make buckets when need be.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
JC said the other day (on WFAN) that he expects Bazz to be drafted around 20 and last in the league for 13+ years. He may not be an all-star but should be pretty good. Look at all those passes our bigs couldn't convert into easy buckets. NBA bigs will thank him. Bazz had to operate in slow-motion some of the time as he was several steps ahead of in terms of passing. I wouldn't bet against him in succeeding at the next level.

Reaction Score
I think he and Ennis are basically the same player, adjusted for experience. Their numbers as first year starters are strikingly similar.

caw

Reaction Score
Bazz needs a floater of some kind but not sure what else he is missing offensively. The question is how/if his short arms (relatively) will hurt his game. I don't think they will much.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think he and Ennis are basically the same player, adjusted for experience. Their numbers as first year starters are strikingly similar.

Depends on how Ennis plays defense. Which of course no one has a clue on yet.

Reaction Score
It depends on which team drafts him. I'm not an NBA fan but for example the Knicks could use him. Or a team with an aging pg, say San Antonio or Lakers (Nash) would be ideal.

Reaction Score
If he is drafted by Miami and LeBron stays Shabazz could be really good right from the get go. LeBron seems to be lobbying for Shabazz.

Reaction Score
Shabazz to Charlotte please. Need to see two of the top 5 all time great huskies play together again

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
His height hurts him, especially on defense.

Reaction Score
His height hurts him, especially on defense.
this is definitely the concern. not just vs other pgs, but on defensive rotations where he has to help cover an nba forward things will be tough. but at the same time his size really is not issue, plenty of guys his height have had tremendous careers. What also helps is napier is extremely craft defensively,he has a lot of tricks that allow his quickness to trump size. His passing ability to he showed off reminds of a young steve nash. He is a virtuoso with the rock in his hands. 15-25 sounds right.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I want to see him in houston...

Reaction Score
He'll do fine.. just like a lotta people said Isaiah Thomas (from UDub) wouldn't be able to play in the league at 5'9 and he's flourishing. Like Thomas, Bazz just knows how to play. He knows how to get his shot off and he can guard most points despite his relative small size.

Reaction Score
Think about how many assists he could pile up dishing to NBA level big men. No disrespect to Phil and other bigs he's played with but...

Reaction Score

They had similar stats but I don't really see many similarities. Ennis is not a shooter or a guy who gets himself buckets. I'm not really sure what his strengths are, opposed to being composed. He has good size and is heady but doesn't create, finish at the rim, or shoot very well from the perimeter.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
They had similar stats but I don't really see many similarities. Ennis is not a shooter or a guy who gets himself buckets. I'm not really sure what his strengths are, opposed to being composed. He has good size and is heady but doesn't create, finish at the rim, or shoot very well from the perimeter.

If I'm playing Cornell in November, there is no other point guard I would want leading my team than Ennis. And Jim B on the sidelines

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if Bazz ends up in a Celtics uniform as their near future pg. Ainge kept showing up at games for a reason. I'd like to see him elsewhere, but the Roxbury kid returning to Boston to lead the Celtics is a great story and the Boston fans should love it.

As far as height, that's a total non-issue as teams expect they're getting the next Kemba and they are about the same size. Chris Paul is the same size and there have been plenty of pgs who thrived in the nba at 6' like Allen Iverson.

Reaction Score
I could see him being Jose Barea, a 20-mpg backup on a contending team.
typical post from you. are you drunk? napier is better at the game of basketball than jj barea. his floor is backup on a contending team. Napier is 6'1.5 with a 6'4 wingspan. Barea has a 5'11 wingspan and a much worst defensive player.

Reaction Score
typical post from you. are you drunk? napier is better at the game of basketball than jj barea. his floor is backup on a contending team. Napier is 6'1.5 with a 6'4 wingspan. Barea has a 5'11 wingspan and a much worst defensive player.

He's a fringe first-rounder; I think those are reasonable expectations. Would I rather he be the second coming of Steph Curry? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom