Shabazz AAC Player of the Week | The Boneyard

Shabazz AAC Player of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yet again:

American MBB ‏@American_MBB 9m
UConn G Shabazz Napier (17.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4.5 apg in 2-0 week) is our 3/3 Player of the Week. Memphis F Austin Nichols Rookie of the Week.

That's 5 POTW awards and 8 times on the honor roll.

Reaction Score
and yet, somehow, they will vote russ smith for poy.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have more than 5 POTW's?
I don't believe so. In terms of the AAC player of the year race, Kilpatrick has 2 POTW awards and Russ Smith only has 1.

Reaction Score
Conference POY, All American. Don't blink for the next 6 weeks

Reaction Score
and yet, somehow, they will vote russ smith for poy.
I can buy Russ Smith winning it a lot more than Killpatrick.

Only thing Killpatrick has over Bazz is PPG but that is because he shoots it more.

Last edited:

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I can buy Russ Smith winning it a lot more than Killpatrick.

Only thing Killpatrick has over Bazz is PPG but that is because he shoots it.

Kilpatrick was positioned well a couple weeks (for the player of the year) when Cincy was undefeated in the league and clearly 1st. Lately Smith has been playing well and LVille is right there. My concern is that they may vote for the player on the team that's in first.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This weekend did a lot to position Bazz back in the discussion. As Marat pointed out, Kilpatrick was the overwhelming favorite before the Cinci slide. He positioned himself over Bazz in the first head to head match up. But this last game the situation reversed. Russ Smith might have a slight lead but the loss this weekend to Memphis has made it a three person race.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This weekend did a lot to position Bazz back in the discussion. As Marat pointed out, Kilpatrick was the overwhelming favorite before the Cinci slide. He positioned himself over Bazz in the first head to head match up. But this last game the situation reversed. Russ Smith might have a slight lead but the loss this weekend to Memphis has made it a three person race.

Was just going to post very similar sentiments. Was at first Kilpatrick>Bazz>Russ. Then Russ hit game-winner. Cinci sliding. Bazz solid. Now its pretty level. I think Bazz has a slight statistical advantage (not in PPG vs Kilpatrick but our offense is more balanced than Cinci's)

The game @ UL may decide conference POY because its pretty close. Also, recency effect.

Reaction Score
If Bazz has won player of the week 5 times and Smith has won it once, I would think Bazz would be the favorite. Especially with his rebound numbers from the PG position.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If Bazz has won player of the week 5 times and Smith has won it once, I would think Bazz would be the favorite. Especially with his rebound numbers from the PG position.
Should be the case. RS has a better complement of players to work with than Bazz and that should get consideration as well. But voting is subjective and part of the vote is steered by success. I just want UConn to beat Ville (after beating Rutgers), Bazz has a terrific game, and the voters have no confusion.

Reaction Score
Just a heads up the number of pow awards did not translate to season awards in football. Smu's qb had highest number of pow award and was only given third team all conference.

Reaction Score
superlatives are nice, but we all know who the real poy is and bazz will be reminded of that anytime he returns to campus. not sure it was mentioned, but did anyone hear bazz talk to andy katz after sat's win? katz asked him something about scoring and bazz replied, " i don't pay attention to any of that. the only stat i care about is turnovers." now that is the mentality you want from your "star" pg!!!!!!

Reaction Score
one of the most telling games to me that seperates bazz from most poy candidates was the blowout win vs south florida. bazz chose not to press that games and instead allowed other players to take over, boosting team moral at the expense of his personal stats. would russ smith or kilpatrick do that?

Reaction Score
I don't think Bazz wins it...Coaches vote for awards, so it will depend on who Ollie is friends with

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
So....does he get his name & number on the Husky Wall of Honor on senior night? The guy certainly deserves it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom