2021 Recruiting: - SG Nisine Poplar | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: SG Nisine Poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Nice stroke. Gets the ball up quickly on the catch and shoot, whether his feet were set receiving the pass or not. Does seem a little contact shy on the drive.

Looks a lot more like a straight up 2 than a combo. Great nickname.

Reaction Score
Nice stroke. Gets the ball up quickly on the catch and shoot, whether his feet were set receiving the pass or not. Does seem a little contact shy on the drive.

Looks a lot more like a straight up 2 than a combo. Great nickname.

"A little contact shy on the drive?" Do you mean he doesn't initiate the contact?
What I saw was a guy taking the hits and finishing but not getting an "and one" call. Maybe he was working on his body control. :rolleyes:

Overall I'd say who needs Ellis if this kid was this good as a sophomore.

Handled the ball well, made threes and lots of drives inside for acrobatic layups, a floater or two and dunks. Looks strong for a sophomore. If he's a 2021 guy, where's his junior year video?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Interesting prospect. I think his athletic upside is crazy, shoots threes accurate and quick but doesn’t have many other basketball skills?

Reaction Score
This is another kid that the offers tell the story IMO. Definitely a later-riser. didn't even play basketball until his sophomore year(!).

Verbal Commits/247 have offers from Auburn, Wichita, Georgetown, Georgia, LSU, Marquette, Maryland, Miami, Nebraska, Penn State, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Temple, Virginia Tech, VCU, LSU.

22/5/3

Surprisingly good passer for someone so new to the game--that's a difference-maker. Freaky athlete. He moves end to end tremendously well. Hangtime and adjustment in-air looks great even if he doesn't land well. Multi-sport athlete until recently. Not a terrific looking stroke, but he seems to make a least a few a game judging by the highlights and his balance is fine on most. Looks to have long wingspan. A number of left-hand finishes. Very physical at his size.

His handle sucks though--at 6'4/6'5 that is going to be a problem. Coach seems to put ball in his hands a lot which will be great especially at his rate of development. Needs some major repair on his footwork too--particularly on the drive off a catch. Doesn't utilize a negative step or a long step at all. Generally that's a sign of inexperience. Overall doesn’t look as comfortable finding balance, pivoting and such on the perimeter as kids that have played the game for longer.

If you're gonna recruit a project, he profiles as a pretty good choice IMO. 3s and dunks are a good way to win games, and that's his specialty.

Reaction Score
Hard pass on Poplar. We need a starting level 2 guard not a bench player.

Whether he’s a starter right away or not doesn’t matter. I agree you need some Bouknights brought in. But the Beverlys also contribute to championship teams.

Reaction Score
Whether he’s a starter right away or not doesn’t matter. I agree you need some Bouknights brought in. But the Beverlys also contribute to championship teams.

Beverly? Shirley you jest.

Reaction Score
You complain about every single guy we recruit. Obviously Hurley can scout talent and bring it in so why don't you just shut up and enjoy the ride.
Not true, I like that we offered Tyrese Hunter for 2021 recruiting. We need talent not filler players.

Our Bouk replacement has to be a high level player. Poplar is not that guy.

Reaction Score
This is another kid that the offers tell the story IMO. Definitely a later-riser. didn't even play basketball until his sophomore year(!).

Verbal Commits/247 have offers from Auburn, Wichita, Georgetown, Georgia, LSU, Marquette, Maryland, Miami, Nebraska, Penn State, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Temple, Virginia Tech, VCU, LSU.

22/5/3

Surprisingly good passer for someone so new to the game--that's a difference-maker. Freaky athlete. He moves end to end tremendously well. Hangtime and adjustment in-air looks great even if he doesn't land well. Multi-sport athlete until recently. Not a terrific looking stroke, but he seems to make a least a few a game judging by the highlights and his balance is fine on most. Looks to have long wingspan. A number of left-hand finishes. Very physical at his size.

His handle sucks though--at 6'4/6'5 that is going to be a problem. Coach seems to put ball in his hands a lot which will be great especially at his rate of development. Needs some major repair on his footwork too--particularly on the drive off a catch. Doesn't utilize a negative step or a long step at all. Generally that's a sign of inexperience. Overall doesn’t look as comfortable finding balance, pivoting and such on the perimeter as kids that have played the game for longer.

If you're gonna recruit a project, he profiles as a pretty good choice IMO. 3s and dunks are a good way to win games, and that's his specialty.

Could he be a mini-Scott Burrell? Multi-sport, great athlete, but needs some polish? (edit to add this question)
Rivals has him at Non-Rated until January and then to 108.
Meteoric rise to say the least, especially for someone who didn't play until two years ago.............................. or maybe because he didn't play until two years ago. They also list him as 6'5", 190 pounds. Maybe too big and strong to play for us. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW--after the 6/24 Zoom meeting we haven't heard anything I believe. No reference to uconn on his social media from what I can see. So there may not be mutual interest here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom