SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 40 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Pointed out the exact same thing. Heck AB is a distant second to Rodney on this squad.

Late February/March Rodney swayed a lot of people in his favor. I haven't seen anywhere near as much negative discussion/gossip concerning him since then. Brimah on the other hand...

Reaction Score
No high-major hoop prospect picks a school for the academics.
Sorry but I have to ask how you know this. Are you sure not a single one picks a school for academics? I believe that the vast majority don't give a damn but it has been said on this board many times, when losing a recruit to puke, that academics was a factor. Either those people were right or they were deluding themselves. If you want to say that academics is never the only factor then, of course, I would agree. But it sounds like you are saying it is never a factor for highly rated recruits.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Late February/March Rodney swayed a lot of people in his favor. I haven't seen anywhere near as much negative discussion/gossip concerning him since then. Brimah on the other hand...
Wait until the season starts.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Wait until the season starts.

I agree to a certain extent, but expectations for Rodney are a lot different than they were before last year. We've gotten the "Ferrari" jazz out of the way, and he'll be one of 3-4 very good offensive options to start the year. It won't be like it was last year when he desperately needed to be Boat's right-hand man on offense right away. That's not to say that I'll be happy when he makes mistakes, because I obviously won't be. But I don't think that those mistakes will be a) as high in frequency as they were previously or b) as detrimental to the team overall given the improved caliber of player surrounding him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If he cared about academics, as was mentioned several times, he would have chosen either Duke, MD or UConn. All of them are real universities. So either he didn't really care or he was duped by the squid or he was attracted by other incentives.
Don't sell Kentucky short. Their College of Dentistry provides tremendous opportunities and a built-in patient base.

Reaction Score
Pointed out the exact same thing. Heck AB is a distant second to Rodney on this squad.

that's not even close to true but you are stuck in your denial so I'm not going to belabor the point. when Purvis sparks long winded and often repeated criticisms of his game in a thread about Vance Jackson, holla at me.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree to a certain extent, but expectations for Rodney are a lot different than they were before last year. We've gotten the "Ferrari" jazz out of the way, and he'll be one of 3-4 very good offensive options to start the year. It won't be like it was last year when he desperately needed to be Boat's right-hand man on offense right away. That's not to say that I'll be happy when he makes mistakes, because I obviously won't be. But I don't think that those mistakes will be a) as high in frequency as they were previously or b) as detrimental to the team overall given the improved caliber of player surrounding him.
Hope you are correct because I thought people were pretty vicious with regards to what they wrote about the kid.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Hope you are correct because I thought people were pretty vicious with regards to what they wrote about the kid.

They were, but again I think the evidence available points to that being done with. Heck, the one poster who was nastiest to Purvis I don't think I've seen here since the winter...

Reaction Score
If he cared about academics, as was mentioned several times, he would have chosen either Duke, MD or UConn. All of them are real universities. So either he didn't really care or he was duped by the squid or he was attracted by other incentives.

Or you sound like an idiot if you think these kids evaluate colleges the way normal students do. But listen, Paesano, sounding like an idiot has never stopped you before . . .

ctchamps

Reaction Score
that's not even close to true but you are stuck in your denial so I'm not going to belabor the point. when Purvis sparks long winded and often repeated criticisms of his game in a thread about Vance Jackson, holla at me.
You just did belabor the argument.

I have no problem with you having a different perspective than mine. Am I in denial. Perhaps. And I could make that point about you. Let's just agree to disagree on this one. We were on the same side of the argument with regards to recruiting.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
They were, but again I think the evidence available points to that being done with. Heck, the one poster who was nastiest to Purvis I don't think I've seen here since the winter...
Like I said I hope you are correct. I'm not going to dig up the post game losses from this past season because it is better for people to move on even if I were correct.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Or you sound like an idiot if you think these kids evaluate colleges the way normal students do. But listen, Paesano, sounding like an idiot has never stopped you before . . .
He made a measured statement on a point that you happen to be annoyed about. He's made inflammatory statements in the past but has turned a leaf. Why not lighten up on him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
no, its close, we've got a novel full of mau posts that prove it.

Hahaha, mau has an unnatural obsession with the kid no doubt, but you could make a compendium of boneyard Taliek arguments that'd be longer than Moby Dick. Heck he inspired a 5 page thread only a year or two ago! Now that's staying power.

A silly thing we're arguing about, no question.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Some top athletes do care about the education. This has been a plus for Duke. It is a minority, but it happens.

This thread is now BYers bashing each other over bashing KY? Let's have the moral integrity start here.

Reaction Score
He made a measured statement on a point that you happen to be annoyed about. He's made inflammatory statements in the past but has turned a leaf. Why not lighten up on him.
Because I own him and it hurts his fragile ego. Why else would he have to make up a strawman to create another pissing contest? You are the only rational person on this board. While I live among the irrational, I am one of the few that see that.

Reaction Score
Some top athletes do care about the education. This has been a plus for Duke. It is a minority, but it happens.

This thread is now BYers bashing each other over bashing KY? Let's have the moral integrity start here.

Integrity. . .integrity. . . We're talking about integrity. In my best Allen Iverson impersonation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because I own him and it hurts his fragile ego. Why else would he have to make up a strawman to create another pissing contest? You are the only rational person on this board. While I live among the irrational, I am one of the few that see that.

This is awesome

ozah6.jpg

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
He committed to UK? He must suck. Good thing we didn't get him anyway. No future in the NBA.
Mamadou Diarra, on the other hand, is the next Kevin Garnett.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That sucks. I was really hoping Wen Yen would be our first Chinese 5 Star recruit. I'll do some scouting for KO the next time I'm in Shanghai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom