Setting up to be a 7 Seed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Setting up to be a 7 Seed

Reaction Score
At this point I just want to get in the tournament and win 1 game. I think that’s very reasonable and it gets the monkey off the back for Hurley and the program. Need to adjust and I think we need to play sanogo on the perimeter a little more, setting pick and roll/pop screens, he’s shooting well enough to aim to shoot 2-3 3’s a game as of right now. Need to get Newton and Hawkins playing downhill more and focus on running offense for them. Toy with more zone d for the season and I think that should be doable. Can’t go far relying on post ups, a dying art in a sport becoming predicted on offensive efficiency.
What if we win the BE tournament but lose first round of the dance?

Reaction Score
They are nowhere near a 2 seed as of today. From the NCAA website:

“The NET is one of many resources/tools available to the committee in the selection, seeding and bracketing process. Computer models cannot accurately evaluate qualitative factors such as games missed by key players or coaches, travel difficulties and other effects of specific games.

Each committee member independently evaluates a vast amount of information during the process to make individual decisions. It is these qualitative, quantitative and subjective opinions -- developed after hours of personal observations, discussion with coaches, directors of athletics and commissioners, and review and comparison of various data -- that each individual ultimately will determine their vote on all issues related to selections, seeding and bracketing.”

NET is part of the process but it is not the tipping scale factor or end all be all factor. UConn has regressed as the season has progressed. Their seeding will be hurt by this regardless of what their NET is as of today. If they go on a run and turn things around they can most definitely improve their chances of being a 2 seed but that’s a long ways away as of today and how they have performed over the past month

They have said that a win or loss in November counts as much as a win or loss in March. They no longer give weight to the last 10 games. Whether they’ve regressed in January is irrelevant. What will matter is what they do between now and selection Sunday. And the toughest part of their schedule is now behind them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Exactly. Right now we’re a 2-seed. I don’t know what posts which say what “we’re heading for . . .” mean. I think it’s just fans who are discouraged and are fearing the worst. Fear is our enemy right now.
::nic cage gif::

Reaction Score
They have said that a win or loss in November counts as much as a win or loss in March. They no longer give weight to the last 10 games. Whether they’ve regressed in January is irrelevant. What will matter is what they do between now and selection Sunday. And the toughest part of their schedule is now behind them.
They say a lot of things. doesn't mean they are all true.

August_West

Reaction Score
You buy powerball and mega millions tickets every week and are convinced you get jackpot. Amirite?

Reaction Score
NET is a major factor they take into account but not the only one. If the tournament started tomorrow UConn is looking at a 5 seed, which is where Lunardi and just about everyone else has us.

Who is everyone else? And who cares where Lunardi has us?

The fact is that everyone else doesn’t have us at a 5-seed. See www.bracketmatrix.com which compiles the bracket forecasts of “just about everyone else” - about 80 “bracketologists in all. We are a consensus 4-seed with the picks ranging from 2-5. In other words, 5 is the lowest anyone has picked us at this point.

All of that aside, the only selection that will matter is the one that the committee makes. And we won’t know that for more than 6 weeks. There’s a lot of basketball yet to be played and the schedule is becoming more favorable for us.

Reaction Score
What is that supposed to mean?
It means that even though they say they don’t care how you finish and they
treat all games evenly they dont. Have a great start and finish 0 and 6 down the stretch and see where you end up seeded. No matter what the numbers say, you are going to take a hit.

Reaction Score
It means that even though they say they don’t care how you finish and they
treat all games evenly they dont. Have a great start and finish 0 and 6 down the stretch and see where you end up seeded. No matter what the numbers say, you are going to take a hit.

How do you know that?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
2 seed?
here, let's play a game that wise ladies, gentlemen, and children of all ages across the land regularly play. it's called 'guess the seed.'
take the approximate (ap, coaches) poll postion of a team, divide by 4, then add one, or none, or subtract one from that number.
currently we are around 19. divide by 4 (4.75) and add 1 (5.75) or subtract 1 (3.75).
heck, even that bracketmishmosh link has it as 'consensus 4.'
on a good day. on a bad day? mebbe 5.
seeding.

August_West

Reaction Score
Nope. Not a gambler. You?
Mild one. I play tables and wagers they give me best odds. Doesn’t always work. But I do ok.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Rankings are meaningless and are nit part of the seeding criteria. NCAA Net is and right now they have us ranked #7. That’s a 2-seed. Maybe the committee drops us to a 3 or even a 4, but they’ll start with us as a 2.

To make the argument that we’re a 5, 6, or 7, those posters are going to explain who the teams are who have better credentials than we do. Seedlings aren’t made in the abstract. There’s a context.
Rankings are meaningless and are nit part of the seeding criteria. NCAA Net is...

wait, is this true? jalens squad, with their net, is around a 4 seed according to this thinking.

i doubt it.
if course, if they keep up, they'll be so far out of conventional thinking that anywhere seeded won't really be arguable.

Reaction Score
Lunardi still has UConn as a 5 seed this morning after the X loss. He has 5 BE teams ( X, Marq, UConn, Prov, Creighton) all comfortably in the field with no other BE teams on his bubble.

It tells you how great the non-confernce performance was to be able to lose 6 of 8 games and still be a 5 seed. Plenty of games left to move up or down but overall still in good shape. Let's hope DH, staff & players take this time until next game to figure things out for the final push in Feb.

Reaction Score
Who is everyone else? And who cares where Lunardi has us?

The fact is that everyone else doesn’t have us at a 5-seed. See www.bracketmatrix.com which compiles the bracket forecasts of “just about everyone else” - about 80 “bracketologists in all. We are a consensus 4-seed with the picks ranging from 2-5. In other words, 5 is the lowest anyone has picked us at this point.

All of that aside, the only selection that will matter is the one that the committee makes. And we won’t know that for more than 6 weeks. There’s a lot of basketball yet to be played and the schedule is becoming more favorable for us.
BracketMatrix isn't updated post Xavier loss. Once that is factored in we'll drop to a consensus 5-seed.

Reaction Score
I don't think we get a two seed even if we win out including the BET. In my completely uninformed opinion, our ceiling was a 1-seed before the Xavier game and is now a 3-seed.

Reaction Score
I don't think we get a two seed even if we win out including the BET. In my completely uninformed opinion, our ceiling was a 1-seed before the Xavier game and is now a 3-seed.

So, you’re saying that if we win out, including the BET. and have a record of 29-6, we won’t be seeded higher than a 3? Wow!

I’d love to know who the 8+ teams are that you’re seeding above us are. And are they all winning out for the rest of the season too?

Just speaking hypothetically of course . . . ;)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
7-2 or 6-3 in rest of BE season
We will make the Big East Championship
25-9
4 seed

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
i just dont wanna be the 4/5 in purdue or houston's region. otherwise dont care if we're a 4, 5, 6, or 7 seed.

all the other 1, 2, and 3 seeds are interchangeable.
I'm not afraid of Purdue. The B10 teams gag in the tournament. I'd like to avoid Houston

Reaction Score
1674857578143.png

Reaction Score
7-2 or 6-3 in rest of BE season
We will make the Big East Championship
25-9
4 seed

How can you post that information and then say “4-seed”? What the other teams do who are competing for top seeds between now and then matters.

Reaction Score
So, you’re saying that if we win out, including the BET. and have a record of 29-6, we won’t be seeded higher than a 3? Wow!

I’d love to know who the 8+ teams are that you’re seeding above us are. And are they all winning out for the rest of the season too?

Just speaking hypothetically of course . . . ;)
The top 8 teams in post #48, for example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom