Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree 100%, however the thing that was bothersome to me was her head hanging and facial expressions after missing a number of shots including a couple of bunnies. This is something Geno had previously said would put a player on the bench. Geno had a few words about Christyn in post game presser with a hint of things need to change. I hope she gets her act together, team is so much better with her getting it done. Waiting.
I wish Geno hadn't said that publicly. I have to believe he sees that she's lost all confidence and is second guessing herself on the court. Pull aside and have that conversation just to protect her from herself..

Reaction Score
I would have argued against it until tonight. Christyn is not a great shooter, but she has lost all feel for her shot. Not sure what's going on in her head, but it can't be good.

Dangerfield would alter her shot in response to what defense she faced: packed in?, she would stop and pop, attacking her close in?, she would choose a higher spot on the glass, over extended?, she would drive.
We have watched Christyn do ALL these things. They are well within her repetoire of shots. All she'd have to do is watch the ND film. A Geno and C.D pep talk, plus a single gym session might be all she needs. Benching her PLUS the restart button gets my vote. When she's on there is no one more joyous.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
CW struggles are not new and did not start this year. Paige is much better than running offense than Crystal was.
I agree that CW strength is as a slasher and getting to the basket. What is stopping her? The lanes are equally clogged for Paige, Nika and Evina and yet they seem to find a way to get to the basket.
The only time anyone is getting to the rim is when they beat the defense down the floor, early in the shot clock. otherwise points in the paint are all pull-ups (Paige) post-ups (Evina), fade-aways (Liv), or put-backs (AE and AG). At least the roles are defined. CW is struggling to hit spot-ups or pull-ups and everything at the rim is contested for her.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I wish Geno hadn't said that publicly. I have to believe he sees that she's lost all confidence and is second guessing herself on the court. Pull aside and have that conversation just to protect her from herself..
She has talent however this has been a recurring CW trait, I'm sure he has privately addressed this with her in the past. Maybe it's time to put his cards on the table and address the obvious in the open, seems all else has failed. As my dear ole Mother said it's time to poop or get off the pot. I would have put that in quotes but she didn't say poop.

Reaction Score
A word for AEH. Congratulations to that young lady. She's been on a rollercoaster right for years. She left UConn on bad terms, then went to Mississippi State, which valued her, and for whom she played an excellent half season. Then she tanked the next season. Now she's at Seton Hall where she's playing the best basketball of her career. She certainly has developed as a player, blending in with the high speed, motion offense of SH. She's playing defense, and moving on offense. It's too bad that we lost her from UConn. But good to see her develop and mature. She played well against UConn, and Coach Geno certainly saw the fine talent that he recruited those years ago. Wish the best for her in the future.

Well said and a great message from a member of the Boneyard. This is EXACTLY how we here on the BY should treat anyone who may have been recruited and played (albeit a short time) at UCONN, but moved on (for whatever reason). THANK YOU FAIRFIELD FAN !!!! ?

Reaction Score
She has talent however this has been a recurring CW trait, I'm sure he has privately addressed this with her in the past. Maybe it's time to put his cards on the table and address the obvious in the open, seems all else has failed. As my dear ole Mother said it's time to poop or get off the pot. I would have put that in quotes but she didn't say poop.
Just not sure how you build someone up thru public dismay.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Christyn is tentative on offense whether shooting from outside or driving to the basket. There were several times last night when she had the ball in her hands and clearly had a lane to the basket, only to back the ball out and pass to a teammate. This is a player whose confidence is terribly fragile right now.
I still think CW was believing; she was to be the star this year. Along comes Paige and CW's beliefs became fantasy, never to be. Hers is not envy but perhaps pressing to regain at least some of the expected adulation. Instead of adulation she is treated as a pariah on boards such as the BoneYard. I am as guilty as anyone. Now I feel sorry and sorry for the kid. I hope she and Geno can get her mind and game right. She may not believe it but she is needed.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I still think CW was believing; she was to be the star this year. Along comes Paige and CW's beliefs became fantasy, never to be. Hers is not envy but perhaps pressing to regain at least some of the expected adulation. Instead of adulation she is treated as a pariah on boards such as the BoneYard. I am as guilty as anyone. Now I feel sorry and sorry for the kid. I hope she and Geno can get her mind and game right. She may not believe it but she is needed.
Her teammates looked like they were trying hard to get her shots in the 4th.. I still think a big part of the issue is that we cannot spread a packed-in defense without a KML/KLS style sniper.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
#4) AEH sends a message to GENO - Message Sent and Received [AEH scored 15, played OUTSTANDING defense on CW, and while SHU lost, she proved that she isn't the un-coachable player he said she was]
It is easy to translate what Geno said into "uncoachable" but he never used the word. He said you can try to tell someone what to do again and again until you reach the point where you are not going to try anymore.

Reaction Score
Very good thinking and analysis .. now, if we can just get Saylor some more minutes to see what we got...
we need somebody who can put the ball in the net besides PB so, yeah. No minutes the last two games though....

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Seton Hall game:
  • The highlight tonight was a wonderful pregame story on the non-profit that Batouly Camara founded: Women and Children Empowerment. After that it got pretty ugly, until the 4th qtr.
  • Seton Hall came out tonight more focused than UConn, and it showed. Hopefully, it’s a teachable moment for these Huskies not to take any team for granted.
  • Props to Aubrey for her all-around hustle, Aaliyah for banging in the paint, Paige for waking up in the 2nd half, Evina for doing a little bit of everything and Liv for realizing she's 6’5”.
  • For a while there, it looked like UConn was going to give away the #1 ranking before they really had a chance to try it on for size.
  • Let’s take the win and burn the game film.
Perfect.

Reaction Score
I think GA already handles her with kid-gloves. He only mentioned the obvious, that she need to hit some shots and then he covered it by saying it is normal that shooters go into funks, etc.

Bottom line is, she has be a very poor shooter for some time now from 3. She has been inconsistent since she has been a UCONN. I get the feeling she is fragile and I would guess GA thinks or knows this too which is why he rarely, if ever criticises her. I remember she saying something in the past that things would bother her in her freshman year and that she knows now not to let it do so.

Anyway, I feel for CW. At the moment, she is really in a place you don't ever want your shooting guard or any player to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is easy to translate what Geno said into "uncoachable" but he never used the word. He said you can try to tell someone what to do again and again until you reach the point where you are not going to try anymore.

So essentially, using what you said above, Geno gave up on AEH, indicating that he wasn't going to try anymore. Thus, the game she played last night, putting up 15 Points against the # 1 Team in the Country, and essentially holding CW [a Pre-Season All-American] (to whom she was guarding most of the game) to ZERO Points, shows that some "Other Coach" was able to get AEH to do the things that she is capable of doing, that Geno decided he couldn't do. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we need somebody who can put the ball in the net besides PB so, yeah. No minutes the last two games though....
You are right but your solution will not be correct in2021. I think there is little chance Saylor ...whom Geno, correctly, regards as a high school senior....will have a meaningful role. She barely gets court time (with Autumn ) in blowouts...and there wont be too many of those left on the shortened schedule. It has to come from somewhere else. Will Anna return? Will Muhl be better than 1-4? Will Williams ever do anything again? And Evina once hit threes as well. But one thing is clear; until it proves a tactical mistake, Olivia ( and Edwards ) will be given that open 15 footer all day, so they can have 5 players defending the other 4. If Olivia keeps hitting at a clip of 1-6, UCONN will have to go to plan B. Which is; get in the paint and fight for lay-ups and put backs. The best solution would be; Olivia starts hitting that shot at 70%. Let's face it, unless she does, she is not going to be a very good player, as 6-5 post players go. Scoring over a player because you have 6 inches on them and a foot of extra reach, is not a huge accomplishment. It takes more. And you have to beat the other players who are 6'5" and athletic.

Reaction Score
I think GA already handles her with kid-gloves. He only mentioned the obvious, that she need to hit some shots and they he covered it by saying it is normal that shooters go into funks, etc.

Bottom line is, she has be a very poor shooter for some time now from 3. She has been inconsistent since she has been a UCONN. I get the feeling she is fragile and I would guess GA thinks or knows this too which is why he rarely, if ever criticises her. I remember he saying something in the past that things would bother her in her freshman year and that she knows not to let it do so.

Anyway, I feel for CW. She is really in a place you don't ever want your shooting guard or any player to be at the moment.
It was an unsolicited comment. I think he said, "she was on an Island." Again not sure how public comment helps.

Reaction Score
It was an unsolicited comment. I think he said, "she was on an Island." Again not sure how public comment helps.
Maybe I don't remember it exactly, but I thought he was asked multiple times about CW and her shooting problems. Anyway, I still think he is softer on her than most kids.

Reaction Score
If (yes, a big if) Williams gets her shot back, who would you want in there, her or Muhl? Muhl's energy looks great but Williams has significantly more upside. The one game Williams excelled in her shooting, she did not try to do as much, staying closer to basket and focused on driving more than 3 pointers. Maybe that is the answer. We will need them both if we hope to win at the end of the year.
I'd rather have Muhl in there, enough already with Christyn Williams, no more excuses .. besides they play different positions .. I'd like to try Saylor out, for her 3-point shooting, rebounding and [supposed] defense .. there's plenty of time before the tourney in March and something is better than nothing, eh?

Reaction Score
You are right but your solution will not be correct in2021. I think there is little chance Saylor ...whom Geno, correctly, regards as a high school senior....will have a meaningful role. She barely gets court time (with Autumn ) in blowouts...and there wont be too many of those left on the shortened schedule. It has to come from somewhere else. Will Anna return? Will Muhl be better than 1-4? Will Williams ever do anything again? And Evina once hit threes as well. But one thing is clear; until it proves a tactical mistake, Olivia ( and Edwards ) will be given that open 15 footer all day, so they can have 5 players defending the other 4. If Olivia keeps hitting at a clip of 1-6, UCONN will have to go to plan B. Which is; get in the paint and fight for lay-ups and put backs. The best solution would be; Olivia starts hitting that shot at 70%. Let's face it, unless she does, she is not going to be a very good player, as 6-5 post players go. Scoring over a player because you have 6 inches on them and a foot of extra reach, is not a huge accomplishment. It takes more. And you have to beat the other players who are 6'5" and athletic.
Liv has shown she can the FT line jumper. She hit about 50% of them at SH but missed most of them against SC. IF GA is going to have her come out to the high post to get the ball, then she needs to shoot them if she is open. Players are hanging back in the lane on her and AE. But....this actually helped PB go off against SC because Liv would set the pick and then PB was open with no SC rotation on defense to help guard the PB shot.

I still think Saylor may get some meaningful minutes in March or even sooner....If she can shoot, I think she will play a bit.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

The wife and I were discussing this point during the game. We believe this is a big part of CW's problems.

For too many of us, CW's first game in a UConn uniform gave us a unrealistic picture of her skills. Last year was indicative of her game. She is a streak shooter. Her best move is the drive to the bucket. Her next best move is the short pull up jumper. She is not a 3 point shooter.

Now can she be a valued contributor for the rest of the season, I hope so. She has to get right with herself. Time will tell.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Liv has shown she can it the FT line jumper. She hit about 50% of them at SH but missed most of them against SC. IF GA is going to have her come out to the high post to the ball, then she needs to shoot them if she is open.
Agree, she has been passing up tons of shots from right there. They should be automatic for her. She needs to start shooting and hitting those shots. That will open up the offense so much.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So essentially, using what you said above, Geno gave up on AEH, indicating that he wasn't going to try anymore. Thus, the game she played last night, putting up 15 Points against the # 1 Team in the Country, and essentially holding CW [a Pre-Season All-American] (to whom she was guarding most of the game) to ZERO Points, shows that some "Other Coach" was able to get AEH to do the things that she is capable of doing, that Geno decided he couldn't do. :rolleyes:
No, Geno never said he was unable to coach her. It was one thing that was at issue . And Geno would not tolerate it.

Reaction Score
No, Geno never said he was unable to coach her. It was one thing that was at issue . And Geno would not tolerate it.

1613069612178.png

Reaction Score
I think a bunch of the problem is the offense. We’re winning because the team as a whole is tough and gritty, more than recent teams post-Stevie. We’ve got Paige. And there are not a ton of great shooters in WCBB. I think Geno is aware that the offense is suspect but he’s preoccupied with his best player. What he does to take advantage of Paige’s talents does not always make it easy on everyone else but it has instant payoff on the scoreboard. Do you see her assists dropping. Right now he’s got Liv on top which flat out kills us (sorry Jingo) and she’s so tentative shooting from there and he’s got CW on the wing 25 feet from the hoop which also kills us and it’s hurting her game big time.
I know it’s too simple, but consider a 1-2-2 set, point, 2 wings and 2 low posts. We all know it. Posts can come out and back screen (CW cutting off it) and they can flash high post and they can come out and screen on the ball for pick and rolls.
No I disagree [you knew I would] but Liv at the high post is the key to our vastly improved ball movement since the TN game .. most importantly, she sets most of the screens at the high post for Paige's pull-up jumper and step back three .. of equal importance, Liv makes excellent passes from the high post to the back=door cutters .. our shooters get LOTS of wide-open shots off the high-post offense; they just need to make them .. it's not Liv's fault that Evina and CW rated a D+ for the SC game, and CW continued her dreadful play vs Seton Hall.
We need a new starting line-up sans CW, eh?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The only time anyone is getting to the rim is when they beat the defense down the floor, early in the shot clock. otherwise points in the paint are all pull-ups (Paige) post-ups (Evina), fade-aways (Liv), or put-backs (AE and AG). At least the roles are defined. CW is struggling to hit spot-ups or pull-ups and everything at the rim is contested for her.
That is simply not accurate . As I stated in another post Nika, Paige, Evina have all gotten to the rim out of the half court sets in recent games. Christyn herself was extremely effective at doing this against DePaul where she was aggressive and probably played her best game in a UCONN uniform. A return to DePaul version of Christyn is what this team needs right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom