Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That one game down in Tulane was after the South Carolina game where Kia twisted her ankle for win #100. Lou, Pheesa, Gabby, Saniya, and Crystal were the starting 5, scored all 63 points. While Butler and Irwin played 11 and 8 minutes and didn't score a point. Stewie and Co. had already graduated.
Wasn't the Tulane game a Sr.night game with Stewie, Mo and Morgan. Tulane was winning in the first quarter.

Reaction Score
Hahahahahaha!!! Hoophuskee????

I didn't make it up with you. I asked a question. I'm sorry but I didn't do anything wrong - meant no harm. I asked you about Mattingly vs Tino - hwo do you feel is greater? Then you went off on me. But that's all I did. You got upset with me and then never replied.

I was not inferring anything.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Wasn't the Tulane game a Sr.night game with Stewie, Mo and Morgan. Tulane was winning in the first quarter.
How can you say it was a close when Stewie and Co. won that game 80 to 40? Yes they won the first quarter something like 13 to 8, but the game was first of all at Gampel and not down at Tulane. The close game at Tulane was a year later and the final score was 63 to 60 UConn.

Reaction Score
It is easy to translate what Geno said into "uncoachable" but he never used the word. He said you can try to tell someone what to do again and again until you reach the point where you are not going to try anymore.
It seems to me those 3 players from the same high school didn't have very good Coaching.

Reaction Score
Liv has shown she can the FT line jumper. She hit about 50% of them at SH but missed most of them against SC. IF GA is going to have her come out to the high post to get the ball, then she needs to shoot them if she is open. Players are hanging back in the lane on her and AE. But....this actually helped PB go off against SC because Liv would set the pick and then PB was open with no SC rotation on defense to help guard the PB shot.

I still think Saylor may get some meaningful minutes in March or even sooner....If she can shoot, I think she will play a bit.
There's even space to take a dribble or two and take the shot in the paint. She starts better from the inside and then moving outside. Also the fadeaway was nice but she has hardly used it at all. It's like she sticks with one move at a time.

Reaction Score
No I disagree [you knew I would] but Liv at the high post is the key to our vastly improved ball movement since the TN game .. most importantly, she sets most of the screens at the high post for Paige's pull-up jumper and step back three .. of equal importance, Liv makes excellent passes from the high post to the back=door cutters .. our shooters get LOTS of wide-open shots off the high-post offense; they just need to make them .. it's not Liv's fault that Evina and CW rated a D+ for the SC game, and CW continued her dreadful play vs Seton Hall.
We need a new starting line-up sans CW, eh?
It's because nobody has to guard her because she can't shoot. That's the reason she's able to pass.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the analysis by individual player. Each has a solid role to play to fill up the puzzle. Liv has done a lot of good picks and passes lately even though her shot from outside is struggling. Why not switch with Edwards or even have Liv step back one full step to make her shot a 3 pointer. Both Liv and Edwards or Griffin need to be on the court when this is happening. Liv needs to hit a few outside to impact games early and open up the inside for drives which is our bread and butter.

We never challenged for offensive rebounds during the first half of the SH game. We also should have gone at Boston a lot more to draw fouls on her early in the SC game, not give up when she hung out down low. If we could have made a few early top of the key shots, that game would have been settled early in our favor. We actually ran good scoring plays in much of the second half. SC plays were limited to getting the ball to Boston inside. Not much else.

We need to take care of the ball better and not run down the clock to seven seconds before shooting a desperation shot. The opponent always knows the clock is running down but other than a couple of our players, we don't have a clock sense yet. Help in playing and finding a better pace of play would result in our controlling the games. All future practices should be on the clock and also whistles for walking, picks and other such turnovers. Lets cut turnovers in half!
You don't think they do those already. Why would you have Liv move out to take 3 pointers when she can't hit them from the foul line. The defense still isn't going to come out and play her.
CW is NOT a good 3-pt shooter, so not sure thats going to help her get out of a slump. Her form is just not great, she always seems off-balance when shooting from the outside. Instead of sitting on the perimeter, she needs to be "slashing" to the basket. That's her strength - driving to the hoop on set plays or on fast breaks. She's seems very lost if the middle is clogged & she cant get open lanes to the hoop - see last night.
She never squares up her outside shot and she doesn't follow through. It looks like she's just aiming the ball instead of a fluid release.

Reaction Score
It's because nobody has to guard her because she can't shoot. That's the reason she's able to pass.
WOW you need to keep up! haha ... you say Liv can't shoot only Liv's FG% is 62%, 4th in the country!

Reaction Score
WOW you need to keep up! haha ... you say Liv can't shoot only Liv's FG% is 62%, 4th in the country!
Not from the outside if the player guarding her wouldn't be 10 feet away from her. The high percentage is from the inside. How many outside shots she make against Marquette and South Carolina. I don't know what the hell your watching but obviously not her crappy outside shooting!!! Lmao

Reaction Score
So essentially, using what you said above, Geno gave up on AEH, indicating that he wasn't going to try anymore. Thus, the game she played last night, putting up 15 Points against the # 1 Team in the Country, and essentially holding CW [a Pre-Season All-American] (to whom she was guarding most of the game) to ZERO Points, shows that some "Other Coach" was able to get AEH to do the things that she is capable of doing, that Geno decided he couldn't do. :rolleyes:
First, holding CW down in her current state of mind doesn’t mean anything. Second, Geno coaches his team to play a certain way. It was clearly a way that AEH either could not or would not play. Every coach has different standards and limits to what they will put up with. Geno had had enough and that is why she left.

Reaction Score
Not from the outside if the player guarding her wouldn't be 10 feet away from her. The high percentage is from the inside. How many outside shots she make against Marquette and South Carolina. I don't know what the hell your watching but obviously not her crappy outside shooting!!! Lmao
Perhaps Geno wants her to get better at that shot. She will not do that without game reps.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno wants her to get better at that shot. She will not do that without game reps.
I said what I did because another poster thinks she's shooting 62 percent from there but it's because of her inside makes. For her to get better at that shot 200-300 reps a day would help alot. Just doing it in games not going to cut it.

Reaction Score
Sorry, you blew it, haha .. she's #4 in the country in FG% .. stats don't lie! ... yes, you'll see the future of the team this season will depend on Liv hitting those wide-open 15' jumpers, eh? and I think Geno is on board with it, he's letting her take the shot. They'll have to come out and guard her which will open up the lanes, an excellent strategy IMO.

Reaction Score
Sorry, you blew it, haha .. she's #4 in the country in FG% .. stats don't lie! ... yes, you'll see the future of the team this season will depend on Liv hitting those wide-open 15' jumpers, eh? and I think Geno is on board with it, he's letting her take the shot. They'll have to come out and guard her which will open up the lanes, an excellent strategy IMO.
She hasn't hit those outside shots good enough so the other teams player guard her out there EH. What game you watching EH. She's taking the shot Eh. But not hitting them Eh.

Reaction Score
Half of the time she shoots those shots it is as an afterthought because she is so wide open and no one can cut because the lane is clogged. A basketball novice can see that she is not comfortable or confident shooting from the high post. To cite her shooting percentage based on layups as evidence to the contrary is absurd. Her 60% foul shooting is more indicative of her lack of any touch from 15 feet. The fact is she is an enigma as a player, a big with some skill but really no position. And she certainly has some skill but for whatever reasons, she has not gotten appreciably stronger nor rid herself of some terrible habits in her three years at Uconn. Her move to the high post IMO was an effort to unclog the lane to allow more movement and also to allow her and Edwards to play some together. However, it has certainly not unclogged the lane because teams have decided to not cover her, or haven’t you noticed?

Reaction Score
I think you overstate Geno's response, he responded to a concern. There was no denigrating, no bashing, no threats, just the need to address the situation. We can all read into it what we may. One thing is for certain, if CW produces she will be on the court, if not someone else should be. Last year there was no real option for a replacement, this year there is. Finally we would only be kidding ourselves if we think CW does not know where things stand.
Again how do you build players up thru public dismay in the media? How is that good coaching? I love Geno and I love UCONN too, But usolicited roasting isn't it. "On an Island somewhere.".....Yeah that works.

Reaction Score
Why are you not sure? Hasn't Geno been doing this for a long time?
Yes he has and because he wins it makes ok? Many coaches have been roasted on BY for these types of action. My point is simple address them behind close doors.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Good part, we can still be #1 next week. I worried this at the half time break.
If we can stay number 1 and the tournament is cancelled we can declare ourselves national champs. There is recent precedent.

Reaction Score
I think you overstate Geno's response, he responded to a concern. There was no denigrating, no bashing, no threats, just the need to address the situation. We can all read into it what we may. One thing is for certain, if CW produces she will be on the court, if not someone else should be. Last year there was no real option for a replacement, this year there is. Finally we would only be kidding ourselves if we think CW does not know where things stand.
To make a unsolicited statement, about a player and showing open frustration in the interview is overstating?

"She's on Island somewhere.", C'mon Geno read the room.

Handling things in house is okay too. Called protecting your players. Especially when they already have a bullseye ? on their back.

Reaction Score
So you are saying it is Paige's fault that Christyn can't hit an open shot and looks like she's on another planet?

The players surrounding Christyn aren't strong enough?

Paige is partly to blame for slow starts huh?

Do we need Paige to change their diapers too?
You clearly didn't get the point. So I won't bother addressing your comments
Paige is clearly the bag chips and more. So please stop with the narrative you're trying to build in that retort.

I love my Huskies and that includes all 12. Period!!!

Reaction Score
BY FAR, THIS TOPIC HAS TO BE THE LONGEST/LARGEST POST GAME TOPIC EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UCONN BONEYARD. BE IT DISCUSSIONS ABOUT CHRISTYN WILLIAMS OR DISCUSSIONS ABOUT ANDRA ESPINOZA HUNTER, PRO or CON, EITHER WAY, THE PASSION EXHIBITED HAS BEEN INCREDIBLE.

HOW TWO INDIVIDUALS CAN SPARK SUCH EMOTIONS IS SIMPLY EXTRAORDINARY

sorry about the Capital Letters

Reaction Score
You don't think they do those already. Why would you have Liv move out to take 3 pointers when she can't hit them from the foul line. The defense still isn't going to come out and play her.

She never squares up her outside shot and she doesn't follow through. It looks like she's just aiming the ball instead of a fluid release.
Well, a miss for Liv might look like a pass to Edwards or Griffin inside. Ha Ha. She does hit one once in a while, might as well be a 3 from that distance or have her switch with Edwards and she takes a 3. Even our new freshman at 6'2" could fill this roll or a pick for slashing guards. The low early game percentages from this area of the court need to have some offensive rebound possibilities which we often don't even attempt. We also need to have the mechanics reviewed for Liv and Williams. Something isn't right. Golfers are constantly going over mechanics with swing coaches.
Most of Liv's early long shots are short and some right back at her. We don't seem to adjust. If she were to step forward, not immediately retreat, she might recover some of these short shots. When we played, you had an awareness of whether it might be short or long. Good players sense this.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
First of all AEH who is a deadly 3-point shooter, Park-Lane, Mia Jackson, Lattimore, i.e. anybody who can make a shot...
disappointed the wire GIF

Reaction Score
I like Liv in the post with AE low. There's a line between the foul line and the arc that shouldn't get behind. 15-18 feet she can shoot, 20+ not so much.

Exactly. It seems that ONO did most of her productive work in the fourth quarter when she paired up with Edwards. Edwards slams around under the basket, drawing the defense to her, and leaving ONO open. Or else, permitting ONO to pass to her down low. Edwards really causes headaches for the opposing team. Whoever is on the floor when Edwards is there benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom