Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Feels worse than any of the losses last year

I think St John's rolling us at the XL last year was far worse than Seton Hall last night. Mike Anderson coached the Johnnies last year, they were tewwible

Conference road games against teams with some talent and an emotional edge just never surprise me. I didn't like this spot

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It actually shows how damn tough the league is but you can call it whatever you like.
When I read a comment like his, I now smile about him having a daughter who puts him in his place.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm also sick of the "they wanted it more!" or "they had more toughness!" crap.

Every player on the floor was tough. Every player on the floor wanted to win. We just didn't play the right way TO win. That was a failure of preparation by the staff and players alike.

Onto the next one. The Big East isn't supposed to be easy.
It's a fact of life in athletics. It's rare to have a team with no letdowns.

After rolling the Zags in their last game, they were probably pretty big on themselves

And the media jumps on the bandwagon.
Lou Saban calls it rat poison

You have to be prepared to fight every night

Reaction Score
It felt like the Monstars stole our rosters skills. It was baffling how bad everyone played outside of Clignan (who still has this awful habit of bringing the ball down every time he gets fed). I thought Hurley should have gone to Stewart to see if he could get anything going. He honestly couldn't have been worse than what was transpiring on the court. Everyone just looked lethargic and that they didn't want to be there. Just careless passing and lazy defense.

Reaction Score
I guess you are not shocked with our defense because it was the exact same thing as last year?? Just let them drive to the basket at will and do nothing about it??
in the tourney last year, when we played arkansas, we made the defensive help adjustment that we needed last night. But throughout big east play last year alot of our bad losses could be chalked up to a lack of defensive help and/or our gameplan to attack defensively 40 feet from hoop , even teams that can't shoot. We then get stuck in ISOs (think maryland tourney loss a few yrs back) and give up easy hoops without the walling off of help defense in the paint.

Maybe its execution or maybe its gameplan, but got to make the adjustment or this is gonna happen more than we like in big east play

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Between Karaban, Spencer and Ball not playing well. I still stand by my take that there is some room to get Stewart in the game to see what he can provide in games like this..

When two of those guys are playing well maybe not, but this game and the Kansas game..maybe Stewart can at least give us a punch on offense or a slightly quicker step on D for a few minutes
I agree, but there’s no way Hurley is going to go with a freshman to try and get him back into a game. That’s just not his philosophy.

Reaction Score
I guess you are not shocked with our defense because it was the exact same thing as last year?? Just let them drive to the basket at will and do nothing about it??
Perhaps a switch to two or three zones might have helped. When Clingan went out so did out defense. We went small and were bullied for it. Serious adjustments were needed.

Reaction Score
It felt like the Monstars stole our rosters skills. It was baffling how bad everyone played outside of Clignan (who still has this awful habit of bringing the ball down every time he gets fed). I thought Hurley should have gone to Stewart to see if he could get anything going. He honestly couldn't have been worse than what was transpiring on the court. Everyone just looked lethargic and that they didn't want to be there. Just careless passing and lazy defense.
While Clingan more than held his own, his habit of dribbling first, gathering then shooting will hurt with double teams. He could then pass or shoot but when he is set in the low post there isn't a lot of room for others. DC is showing more offensive moves with strong down low calls for the balls and decent hands. Without him on the court our offense stalled when we couldn't hit threes.

Our players seemed on West Coast time. A zone from time to time might have helped lower number of fouls and provide a second line of defense. Nothing seemed to change from man to man and we paid the price.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Pretty surprising game. I know going on the road in the Big East is tough but that was brutal. Three of our best 6 players have never played in the Big East before so I'm hoping the result was mostly because of that. Could also be that the players (and coaches?) heard a little too much about how good they are from the media and lost some of that fire. Either way, it's wsy too early to panic. Just have to hope that Donovan's ankle is a short term problem.

I would not want to be the team having to re-watch the tape today, but how that session goes today is going to have a huge impact on our chances to win a Big East title.

Reaction Score
in my experience, defensive centric coaches can be too stubborn in their gameday adjustment mindset at times, that hard man to man is only way. they let their ego/philosophy get in the way of changing from this preferred method of D.

This achilles heel took down Matt Painter & Purdue in the tourney, when they refused to move away from their preferred man against a very quick, undersized team, that was pulling Edey from hoop and going by him. These coaches, though occasionally great coaches, will look down upon zones and junk defenses like triangle 2 etc. Its like a boxer not using his skill/smarts/jab in certain matchups but instead engaging in a brawl against less skilled opponent to questionable results. Hurley shows a little of his Beilein-ish 1-3-1, but thats it. good for us that when we got to the tourney last year it seems like he modified gameplan to great results (arkansas)

All this being said, Castle can't have 3 passes deflected so easily, and our big 3 perimeter can't disappear so much on offense on the same day

Reaction Score
Hurley has to figure it out. These road losses to low quality teams have been a theme since they started letting fans in the building. Since 2022, 11-12 in road games. 6 of those wins were vs Butler, Georgetown and DePaul.

Reaction Score
Hurley has to figure it out. These road losses to low quality teams have been a theme since they started letting fans in the building. Since 2022, 11-12 in road games. 6 of those wins were vs Butler, Georgetown and DePaul.
Butler is probably better than Seton Hall this year so that’s not even an easy win.

Reaction Score
What did they say about us? These comments summarize it best:

Reaction Score
The bad news is that we still can't win tough road games in the Big East and the refs still have it out for us (no, that's not "why we lost," but Hurley was dead right a few weeks ago that we're not, and maybe won't ever, get the kind of respect afforded to other championship programs), both of which will limit our ceiling in conference and potentially our NCAAT seed.

The silver lining is that Hurley has also shown the ability to dominate out of conference and win 6 in a row when it counts even without those things, though losses like this make the road harder.

Reaction Score
What did they say about us? These comments summarize it best:

Even Seton Hall wonders why we didn't adjust on defense lol. To me, the offense was a bigger problem but sometimes you can't control when shots don't fall or your best player sprains his ankle.

You CAN control defensive effort and scheme. I thought the effort was mostly okay until midway through the 2nd-half, but boy we either didn't execute properly or the coaches crapped the collective bed in the scout.

Pressuring one of the worst shooting teams in the country and allowing them to beat us 1v1 like clockwork was just poor execution by everyone in the program. Managers, players, coaches, and towel boy. Everyone.

Reaction Score
Even Seton Hall wonders why we didn't adjust on defense lol. To me, the offense was a bigger problem but sometimes you can't control when shots don't fall or your best player sprains his ankle.

You CAN control defensive effort and scheme. I thought the effort was mostly okay until midway through the 2nd-half, but boy we either didn't execute properly or the coaches crapped the collective bed in the scout.

Pressuring one of the worst shooting teams in the country and allowing them to beat us 1v1 like clockwork was just poor execution by everyone in the program. Managers, players, coaches, and towel boy. Everyone.
Yes, I was thinking the same. Their comments about us are very telling. Now we know everyone was thinking the same. Our defense was puzzling. Calhoun used to say "40 minutes of pressure." Yes, you may tire your guards, but you have 2 spare athletic 6' 7" guys on the bench and a spare 6' 10" guy until DC gets back. Until then, 40 minutes of pressure and then force em to hit a 3 like they did to us. And when they miss, fast break.

Basically, do what Shaheen Holloway did to us. Brilliantly coached game.

Reaction Score
I dont blame the players for last night. I blame the coaches. Up 8 in the first half, we went through a 6 minute of real game time where we lost the lead, and played uninspired ball. Yet, DC failed to call a single timeout. Between the layup line, failure to box out, and turnovers, my gosh, I would have used all of my timeouts during that stretch. Not. A. Single. Timeout. Horrible job by Danny. And what bothers me is NOT the loss. What bothers me is that SH came to fight, and we came to dance. Not a proud night.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
We just missed too many shots. Shooting 38% and half of that from 3 point range isn't going to win a lot of games. It happens.

Breathe everyone.

Reaction Score
Butler is probably better than Seton Hall this year so that’s not even an easy win.
Yup, but in the past they've stunk. They'll be trouble this year. Below is Hurley since 2022 in road games by Kenpom rank:

KenpomTeamResult
10​
VillanovaLoss
10​
MarquetteLoss
12​
CreightonLoss
13​
KansasLoss
15​
XavierLoss
40​
ProvidenceLoss
50​
CreightonLoss
51​
VillanovaWin
52​
Seton HallLoss
53​
XavierLoss
55​
St. John'sWin
56​
MarquetteWin
58​
Seton HallLoss
66​
WVULoss
67​
Seton HallLoss
74​
FloridaWin
82​
St.John'sWin
103​
DePaulWin
119​
ButlerWin
121​
ButlerWin
135​
DePaulWin
175​
GeorgetownWin
219​
GeorgetownWin

Reaction Score
I'm ok with writing off the Seton Hall game as a fluke awful performance all around. I'll start being nervous if we repeat this again with St John's. If Clingan is out, I know expectations go down but the overall general lack of hustle or care or desire to play defense we saw last night has to be a one off and not a repeat.

Reaction Score
in the tourney last year, when we played arkansas, we made the defensive help adjustment that we needed last night. But throughout big east play last year alot of our bad losses could be chalked up to a lack of defensive help and/or our gameplan to attack defensively 40 feet from hoop , even teams that can't shoot. We then get stuck in ISOs (think maryland tourney loss a few yrs back) and give up easy hoops without the walling off of help defense in the paint.

Maybe its execution or maybe its gameplan, but got to make the adjustment or this is gonna happen more than we like in big east play
This is close to what I stated in one of my posts last night. If UConn dusted off the game plan they had used against Arkansas in the Sweet 16 UConn wins this game or at least it is going down to the wire. Besides Dawes no one else on Seton Hall is that good at shooting 3s. There is no need to pressure them 30 feet from the basket. Richmond is a good player, but the person guarding him simply needs to back off him some and cut off his driving lane-he isn't a dominant player, except when he plays UConn in Newark.

UConn, we all hate to admit it, lacks athleticism. Teams are attacking Karaban. The guards have to take more pride in their defense and not depend on Clingan or Johnson to bail them out with shot blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom